Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass WITH stomach removal

Hi! So I had gastric bypass on 4/26 and found out after surgery that my surgeon removed part of my stomach like they do with the VSG. He said it was to remove the ghrelin hormone. Has anyone else had this done? He said it wasn’t a duodenal switch but gastric bypass.

Hummmm. Never heard of that. Seems like it may work better though. You got the best part of both surgeries.

Even my coordinator thought I was just mistaken but confirmed it with my surgeon after talking with her. I appreciate it but can’t find any info on it anywhere and want to make sure it won’t worsen my acid reflux as that’s why I chose GB.

I also self-paid so there’s no insurance co telling them what they can or can’t do.

So Gastric bypass is technically reversible. unlike Sleeve. But by doing that and removing that part of the stomach its no longer reversible. Tho i never heard of anyone getting it reversed.

I guess when he said it was reversible he was referring to the bypass part of the procedure?

2 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

I guess when he said it was reversible he was referring to the bypass part of the procedure?

probably idk. But most of your stomach is gone so thats the issue. Its like my Sleeve now except you have rerouting. I find it very odd that he did that without your consent. I would go over your paperwork to verify the surgery and see what it says. because if he did anything beyond that without your permission then that could be a legal issue actually.

It sounds like he's made changes with in the basic surgery, removing the blind stomach means changing the part of the stomach the pouch is created from so the bile ducts that used to dump into the blind stomach now dumps into the pouch. Less importantly (I suppose) the bypassed intestines would also be removed since there is no longer a blind stomach to attach them to.

I would be upset that he didn't actually perform the promised surgery, as this is no longer an Roux En Y Gastric Bypass. I would be considering legal action if this happened to me.

Good luck,

Tek

As long as my reflux doesn’t get worse I’ll consider it a benefit but I was very alarmed as well that found this out the day after surgery.

22 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

Hi! So I had gastric bypass on 4/26 and found out after surgery that my surgeon removed part of my stomach like they do with the VSG. He said it was to remove the ghrelin hormone. Has anyone else had this done? He said it wasn’t a duodenal switch but gastric bypass.

This is what I found that sounds like what you had done:

A biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS) is a less-common weight-loss procedure that entails two major steps.

The first step is sleeve gastrectomy in which about 80 percent of the stomach is removed, leaving a smaller tube-shaped stomach, similar to a banana. However, the valve that releases food to the small intestine (the pyloric valve) remains, along with a limited portion of the small intestine that normally connects to the stomach (duodenum).

The second step bypasses the majority of the intestine by connecting the end portion of the intestine to the duodenum near the stomach. A BPD/DS both limits how much you can eat and reduces the absorption of nutrients, including Proteins and fats.

While a BPD/DS is very effective, it has more risks, including malnutrition and Vitamin deficiencies. This procedure is generally recommended for people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 50.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/biliopancreatic-diversion-with-duodenal-switch/about/pac-20385180

Edited by Future Sleeve Diva

3 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

As long as my reflux doesn’t get worse I’ll consider it a benefit but I was very alarmed as well that found this out the day after surgery.

Gastric bypass should eliminate your reflux so hopefully you will be good with that.

It’s supposed to, it’s just how the removal part will affect it is my concern. 🙏

3 minutes ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

This is what I found that sounds like what you had done:

A biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS) is a less-common weight-loss procedure that entails two major steps.

The first step is sleeve gastrectomy in which about 80 percent of the stomach is removed, leaving a smaller tube-shaped stomach, similar to a banana. However, the valve that releases food to the small intestine (the pyloric valve) remains, along with a limited portion of the small intestine that normally connects to the stomach (duodenum).

The second step bypasses the majority of the intestine by connecting the end portion of the intestine to the duodenum near the stomach. A BPD/DS both limits how much you can eat and reduces the absorption of nutrients, including Proteins and fats.

While a BPD/DS is very effective, it has more risks, including malnutrition and Vitamin deficiencies. This procedure is generally recommended for people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 50.

I asked him if he did the duodenal switch when he told me that and he said no. I think the anastomoses are different. It was hard to understand as he has a foreign accent.

6 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

I asked him if he did the duodenal switch when he told me that and he said no. I think the anastomoses are different. It was hard to understand as he has a foreign accent.

I mean, it's not specifically a DS. But a DS is part of it. If he removed stomach and still rerouted intestines, what else could it be? From what I found, a biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS) sounds like what it is. And it's definitely riskier, so I would maybe do a consultation with a different doctor, explain everything, and ask if they can do a test or something to see exactly what was done. And if a BPD/DS is what your doctor did, I would seek legal action FOR SURE. Of course he's not going to tell you so you might have to go find someone who will.

Edited by Future Sleeve Diva

31 minutes ago, Quesodip251 said:

I just read this other thread. It sounds similar to what you've described. I've never heard of this before today.