Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideal vs Best body weight

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I came across this video on a surgeon’s perspective on how to set weight goals after WLS.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I agree with almost everything he says. First of all, I was told by my clinic that only about 10-15% of people make it to a normal BMI - most end up "overweight' or "class I obese" (which is not very obese - we're talking about 20 or 30 lbs overweight). The research I did after I was told that seemed to back that up.

My third and final goal was to make it to a normal BMI, and I was actively discouraged from doing that - but I actually did make it -and stayed there for quite a while (I'm now about 6 lbs overweight at almost seven years out). I was told - like he said - that someone who's formerly obese has heavier bones and muscles than a person of the same weight who's never been obese, because we needed that extra "infrastructure" to hold up our weight. Granted, you do lose a lot of that as you lose fat - but you don't lose all of it - so we can weigh 10 or 15 lbs more than a never-been-obese person who's the same height and build and look pretty much the same as they do.

and as far as getting too thin - I got down to 138 at my lowest - I looked pretty ghastly at that weight, even though that is around the middle of a normal BMI for me. I could practically see every bone in my body. I look and feel much better in the 150s.

the only thing he said that didn't apply in my situation is that you lose about half of what you'd be expected to lose by a year out by the time you were three months out (in other words, if you lost 50 lbs in the first three months, you'd be expected to lose twice that (100 lbs) by a year out. I'd only lost about 40 lbs by three months out - and I was down about 120 lbs by one year out. So I think that can vary a bit..

otherwise, I do agree with pretty much everything he said - and my experience reflects most of it.

4 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I came across this video on a surgeon’s perspective on how to set weight goals after WLS.

Thoughts? Experiences?

So good. So, so good. Thank you for posting this, seriously.

It's insane that people have a perception that BMI20 is 'ideal'. Says who?!

I'm BMI 26.8 this morning and I can count every. single. rib in my body if I stretch - DESPITE having excess skin preventing my skin from really getting 'stretched' over my torso in that movement - by no means am I 'overweight'.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

the only thing he said that didn't apply in my situation is that you lose about half of what you'd be expected to lose by a year out by the time you were three months out (in other words, if you lost 50 lbs in the first three months, you'd be expected to lose twice that (100 lbs) by a year out. I'd only lost about 40 lbs by three months out - and I was down about 120 lbs by one year out. So I think that can vary a bit..

This part stressed me out until I calculated where I was at 3 months and realized I am now at 7ish months and am more than double that amount now. Phew! I am trying hard to not think about time and just focus on what I need to do for as long as I can.

But this was a good video - thanks for sharing @GreenTealael I like the idea of best weight vs focusing on BMI "ideal weight."

23 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

he only thing he said that didn't apply in my situation is that you lose about half of what you'd be expected to lose by a year out by the time you were three months out (i

I also thought that was not going to be the case for everyone, it certainly didn’t work that way for me. Glad to know I’m not alone.

21 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

So good. So, so good. Thank you for posting this, seriously.

It's insane that people have a perception that BMI20 is 'ideal'. Says who?!

I'm BMI 26.8 this morning and I can count every. single. rib in my body if I stretch - DESPITE having excess skin preventing my skin from really getting 'stretched' over my torso in that movement - by no means am I 'overweight'.

I totally understand, BMI and weight on a chart looks so different than on various people.

13 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I totally understand, BMI and weight on a chart looks so different than on various people.

From my much-too-long journey thread in the MGB forum - here's me, two pounds heavier than I am right now. In this picture, I'm right between "overweight" and "obese" if we went by the BMI scale:

OWW.thumb.png.8d0bd1e44194327270548867e18d372a.png

3 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

From my much-too-long journey thread in the MGB forum - here's me, two pounds heavier than I am right now. In this picture, I'm right between "overweight" and "obese" if we went by the BMI scale:

OWW.thumb.png.8d0bd1e44194327270548867e18d372a.png

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

On 03/06/2022 at 11:30, GreenTealael said:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/39w4LJtk7ME?feature=oembed

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks for the post. I loved the video. I haven’t had my surgery yet and I really don’t know what to put as a goal weight. I understood his calculation of 70% of excess. But I missed what is considered my “ideal weight”. Do you use the middle of BMI normal range? My start weight was 198. And I’m 5’4”. What do I use as the ideal weight number to subtract from the 198 .

2 hours ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

Thanks for the post. I loved the video. I haven’t had my surgery yet and I really don’t know what to put as a goal weight. I understood his calculation of 70% of excess. But I missed what is considered my “ideal weight”. Do you use the middle of BMI normal range? My start weight was 198. And I’m 5’4”. What do I use as the ideal weight number to subtract from the 198 .

I think it was whatever goal someone chooses in the normal range plus 20lbs

On 3/7/2022 at 2:30 AM, GreenTealael said:

Thoughts? Experiences?

I found this guy after another person posted a link to his you tube, he has some great advise

Really interesting - thank you for this! The 3 month calculation already hasn't worked out for me - I lost very slowly at the start. I didn't know that there was a correlation (and I wonder how close that is) between the appearance of the neck and upper chest, and visceral fat. Also never considered that excessive dietary restriction or excessive exercise after surgery might raise the body's set point. Really worth watching - thanks again. 🤗

11 hours ago, Spinoza said:

Also never considered that excessive dietary restriction or excessive exercise after surgery might raise the body's set point

Yeah, it does help explain why the humblebraggers (omg I can only eat 4 calories a week, uguise, I couldn't imagine eating 5! - we've all seen them here) may find it all coming flying back in their faces. They never last long.

Unfortunately, they left a trail of shame and self-doubt in those struggling to keep calories down.