Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my pre-op procedures of upper GI and chest X-ray on Tuesday morning and my pre-op primary care physician appointment for clearance on Tuesday afternoon. I’m getting closer! After I had finished my nutritional class requirements at the first of January I thought surgery was imminent as we were told in the doctor talk that we were about a month away. But as I’ve read on here, enjoy the journey. Don’t rush. Be patient. Be gentle.

I haven’t been very patient which is very evident by how little I chewed my food! I’ve been working on that.

I’m turning 60 this week! I am excited that this milestone and my wls are close together. I feel ready for some good changes. My bmi is 44. I think at my highest weight it was 46. I feel so roly-poly. I want to kick my type 2 diabetes to the curb. I want to be able to be more active without the constant pain in my arthritic knees and ankles. I want to keep up with my two little granddaughters. I want to fit into seats!

I am very glad to find this app/support group. My doc said that they had one on Facebook but I’ve given up that so I was glad to find this better alternative.

Congrats on your journey so far. I am 62 and had the surgery last November. I was told I was diabetic too, it spurred me on. Good luck

Good luck hope you get your date soon I had my bypass in August 2021 up to the end of November I'd lost 45 lbs but not been weighed yet so not sure what I way now but will let you know when I see my dietitian next month let us know how you get on the forum is very Freindly and some good advice , I also went on pintrest and type in biatric surgery there's loads of recipes as well as other information

Thank you SummerSeeker and Jue! It really helps to hear people’s experiences and feel support.
My daughter is supportive but my son is kind of judgy.

So excited for you!
I just joined today and am loving the supportiveness of this group. Loved hearing you say "But as I’ve read on here, enjoy the journey. Don’t rush. Be patient. Be gentle." I definitely need ed to hear that.
I was going to start last year on this journey, but got side tracked by Breast Cancer. All set now and ready to go.
Starting pre-op diet this week. Causing me much anxiety. Gonna have LapBand from 2009 removed in about a month, then DS 3 months later. And I can fit my required dietician visits in during that time so it all seems to be lining up.
Wishing you all the best.
Candice

I am just beginning this process. I am required to do 4 months of dietary sessions with my primary. We have actually been doing this since I got on prednisone. I keep blowing up. 109 lbs in 11 mths with a 1000calorie or less diet. I have 2 lung diseases and RA so I will be on some dose of prednisone for the rest of my life. I am working on a taper down. I am hoping to get down to 5mg? I think 10 mg is going to be my magic number, unfortunately so my battle will be forever but getting all this weight off now is going to be a good thing. I am at a point where I can barely walk anywhere without my O2 dropping down in the low 80s. I am on oxygen 24/7. My risk of a cardiac event is alarming. This is the main reason why my dr wanted me to have the sleeve surgery. I want to get rid of the type 1 diabetes that prednisone threw me into after my SECOND dose! I have already started a scheduled meal day and cut my portions down to child size(I 1use a kids plate and utensils). I sub one meal with a Protein Shake. I will graduate to 2 shakes closer to surgery pre-op. I am really concerned about my support system. My husband already does most of the housework. I cook when I feel up to it. Maybe 3-4 times a week. However, he works nights so that he can take me to dr appts. Well, he sleeps ALL DAY LONG. From 9ish until 7 pm at night. He says he can't function without 10 full hours of sleep. On his days off, he sleeps all day and most of the night. He says he has to catch up. He is exhausted and sore. I don't know if I can manage by myself post-op. My son lives in the same town but he has work and such, I am sure he would come to help for a few days. My daughter lives in Florida. She has 3 kids. When I asked if she would come for the surgery since I am high-risk with my lungs, she said that my youngest 2 grandchildren's birthdays are near the time I will be scheduled. Could I plan it some other time? I was devastated that she said that. My Pulmonologist said I have over a 65% chance of not waking up(my risk of a cardiac event if I don't have surgery, is 100%). So, I am not sure how much help I am going to need after surgery. I know everyone is different but, can I do things on my own? I even have 4 dogs to take out all day. One on a leash. Please tell me I will be ok?

274620418_757921051859277_72392757691402833_n.jpg

Sending hugs you will be in a bit of pain the first couple of days but it will be worth it when you see the weight come off and a couple of weeks out you will start to feel better you will love the new you and you've already started on this side of the road , let me know how you get on sending healing prays and look after your self speak to you soon

There Is some topics on here were people need help after surgery if you look it up someone will come to your aid

@CandaceRW Good Luck with your liquid diet this week!

@Mlocke71 It will all be ok eventually. Cursed Prednisone!

My Upper GI, Chest XRay, and clearance with Primary Doctor on Tuesday went well. The Upper GI wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The Pre-op coordinator called today and said she was passing me now to the schedulers and warned that they were slammed and scheduling now for April and May. I told her I was being a patient patient and going with the flow. She emailed some lab work that I will have done at the end of next week.

It’s good to have this over and done and now waiting for the ducks to get into a row. Now I’m focusing on the daily goals of watching my blood glucose numbers, closing my Apple Watch activity rings, and getting good sleep.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:49 PM, Mlocke71 said:

I am just beginning this process. I am required to do 4 months of dietary sessions with my primary. We have actually been doing this since I got on prednisone. I keep blowing up. 109 lbs in 11 mths with a 1000calorie or less diet. I have 2 lung diseases and RA so I will be on some dose of prednisone for the rest of my life. I am working on a taper down. I am hoping to get down to 5mg? I think 10 mg is going to be my magic number, unfortunately so my battle will be forever but getting all this weight off now is going to be a good thing. I am at a point where I can barely walk anywhere without my O2 dropping down in the low 80s. I am on oxygen 24/7. My risk of a cardiac event is alarming. This is the main reason why my dr wanted me to have the sleeve surgery. I want to get rid of the type 1 diabetes that prednisone threw me into after my SECOND dose! I have already started a scheduled meal day and cut my portions down to child size(I 1use a kids plate and utensils). I sub one meal with a Protein Shake. I will graduate to 2 shakes closer to surgery pre-op. I am really concerned about my support system. My husband already does most of the housework. I cook when I feel up to it. Maybe 3-4 times a week. However, he works nights so that he can take me to dr appts. Well, he sleeps ALL DAY LONG. From 9ish until 7 pm at night. He says he can't function without 10 full hours of sleep. On his days off, he sleeps all day and most of the night. He says he has to catch up. He is exhausted and sore. I don't know if I can manage by myself post-op. My son lives in the same town but he has work and such, I am sure he would come to help for a few days. My daughter lives in Florida. She has 3 kids. When I asked if she would come for the surgery since I am high-risk with my lungs, she said that my youngest 2 grandchildren's birthdays are near the time I will be scheduled. Could I plan it some other time? I was devastated that she said that. My Pulmonologist said I have over a 65% chance of not waking up(my risk of a cardiac event if I don't have surgery, is 100%). So, I am not sure how much help I am going to need after surgery. I know everyone is different but, can I do things on my own? I even have 4 dogs to take out all day. One on a leash. Please tell me I will be ok?

274620418_757921051859277_72392757691402833_n.jpg

I too have RA, and was once where you are now. Years of prednisone and inability to ambulate led me to wls. I'm off of the prednisone now, and doing much better. So there's hope for you too! I was on prednisone several years ago, but now my Rheumy tells me that if a patient has to take long term steroids many times they also put the patient on a GLP 1 agonist. It helps to reduce appetite (we all know what prednisone does to your appetite) and sort of prevent the higher blood sugars that prednisone is prone to. If you're not on a GLP 1 agonist, perhaps you can talk to your doctors about the potential benefits of adding one, if it applies to your medical needs. I hope this helps, and sending big hugs to you. Because I know exactly how you feel. Best wishes on your wls journey! 🤗

Hi MLocke

I also have lung disease. I had the sleeve done in Nov. 2021. It is the best thing I've every done for myself. It will give you more energy and according to my pulmonary doc. I might be able to get rid of my oxygen. Put yourself in God's hands. You'll be so happy you did.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app