Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support - Post and Pre Op

The reason I am creating this thread is solely for support. I know by 1st hand how intimidating this process can be. With the mere thought of should ldl do it? I can tell you that I was not a walk in the ballpark. But I am so happy I took this decision. Today I am 5 days RNY AND hiatal hernia repair post-op. I feel fatigued, yet happy. Sore, yet excited. I can use many more adjectives. Please share and ask.

This is a tough journey, even if you have no complications. Glad you're doing well. I am 7-8 weeks out and I have found the hardest thing is that I'm not sure if I'm eating too much. I'm on the road for work and I've been hungry all the time since surgery, so I'm eating 800-900 calories a day. I'm not as hungry now that I'm on the road because I'm busier, but now I'm eating more because the food is less healthy (Or, am I less hungry because the food is less healthy/I'm eating more?).

3 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

This is a tough journey, even if you have no complications. Glad you're doing well. I am 7-8 weeks out and I have found the hardest thing is that I'm not sure if I'm eating too much. I'm on the road for work and I've been hungry all the time since surgery, so I'm eating 800-900 calories a day. I'm not as hungry now that I'm on the road because I'm busier, but now I'm eating more because the food is less healthy (Or, am I less hungry because the food is less healthy/I'm eating more?).

@lizonaplane it can truly be a dilemma. I have not yet been in your position, however I can share that planning ahead has help me when I follow thru. But I am stubborn at times lol 😂. I have a huge support system, I do Over Eaters Anonymous they have a lots of meetings online, I love this forum. Besides my wife who did her’s gastric bypass 2 years ago. I am feeling happy with the decision I made, I though to meet must of the requirements with liquids since I do not feel hungry I found the dumping syndrome way of being to full though.

Those of us who had a hiatal hernia repair with our WLS need to start a club, we'd have so many members! And Ooof - how it adds to the post-op pain. It took a good couple of weeks to not hurt when I breathed in deep.

Even though things haven't been smooth sailing for me, I regret nothing and couldn't be happier that I've had this done. As frustrating as it felt at the time, the year long wait I had to do for my health cover was actually a boon as it prepped me mentally for it. It doesn't erase the pre-surgery nerves though. It's a BIG change, but once out the other side it's not so scary. This is a tool that helps, even down to changes in taste-buds.

What I will plead with folk for is to get bariatric psychologist support if you have emotional eating issues, or binge eating disorder. I'm super fortunate that I've never had those issues and got to where I was purely through gluttony and boredom - but from others' stories on this forum, it can really affect folks post-op and it's heartbreaking.

2 minutes ago, Smanky said:

Those of us who had a hiatal hernia repair with our WLS need to start a club, we'd have so many members! And Ooof - how it adds to the post-op pain. It took a good couple of weeks to not hurt when I breathed in deep.

Even though things haven't been smooth sailing for me, I regret nothing and couldn't be happier that I've had this done. As frustrating as it felt at the time, the year long wait I had to do for my health cover was actually a boon as it prepped me mentally for it. It doesn't erase the pre-surgery nerves though. It's a BIG change, but once out the other side it's not so scary. This is a tool that helps, even down to changes in taste-buds.

What I will plead with folk for is to get bariatric psychologist support if you have emotional eating issues, or binge eating disorder. I'm super fortunate that I've never had those issues and got to where I was purely through gluttony and boredom - but from others' stories on this forum, it can really affect folks post-op and it's heartbreaking.

@Smanky I totally agreed with you 100%. If you do not have a support line you will drown. Thank you for sharing and I am happy to read is going great for you. Is really strange I am in my 6 day post-op and I do not have any pain only discomfort.

5 minutes ago, Smanky said:

Check-in everyone. How is everyone feeling today??? I am in my 8th day post-operative RNY and Hiatal Hernia repair. I feel as if I had done 100000000...abdominal crunches 😂😂 So I took a morning ride in my car 🚘 nope not recommend lol. Overall I am meeting my daily Fluid intake and Proteins thus far. Writing 📝 everything down. Using a timer to remind me to take fluids every 15 minutes Doing 60ml = 2 fluids oz that's a total of 8 oz an hour. This is just me. My wife was not able to keep it down so is going to be different for everyone.

The reason I am creating this thread is solely for support. I know by 1st hand how intimidating this process can be. With the mere thought of should ldl do it? I can tell you that I was not a walk in the ballpark. But I am so happy I took this decision. Today I am 5 days RNY AND hiatal hernia repair post-op. I feel fatigued, yet happy. Sore, yet excited. I can use many more adjectives. Please share and ask.

me too! had my RNY on the 1st with hiatal hernia repair. Im sore on the larger incision, and yes like you im watching the clock to drink Water and Protein Drinks. Walking does tire me out physically and my abdomen pain worsens. Like yesterday i went to 4 stores with my mom and son, and had to find a chair to sit at every store visit. Im guessing i need this walk, but wow, its tiring! Good luck and pls update

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 11/7/2021 at 7:10 AM, cheryl o said:

me too! had my RNY on the 1st with hiatal hernia repair. Im sore on the larger incision, and yes like you im watching the clock to drink Water and Protein Drinks. Walking does tire me out physically and my abdomen pain worsens. Like yesterday i went to 4 stores with my mom and son, and had to find a chair to sit at every store visit. Im guessing i need this walk, but wow, its tiring! Good luck and pls update

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

@cheryl o thank u 🙏. Today out of all the days I started getting really bad cramps every time I sip on liquids greater than 30 ml = 1 once feel me stomach bloated. Pain meds help a bit I consulted my dr he said to go back and tried 15 ml every 15 minutes but it still hurts like 😱

On 11/5/2021 at 2:44 AM, EsojLabina said:

Check-in everyone. How is everyone feeling today??? I am in my 8th day post-operative RNY and Hiatal Hernia repair. I feel as if I had done 100000000...abdominal crunches 😂😂 So I took a morning ride in my car 🚘 nope not recommend lol.

I had a large (unexpected) hiatal hernia repair with my bypass (dunno if the size of it mad a difference), and felt like I'd been hit by a bus during recovery. Took me a good two weeks to completely recover from it. Breathing in deep hurt. I'm glad it's fixed, but wow did I feel like a well-used punching bag for a while!

Edited by Smanky