Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

APPROVED!! Travel question

I finally got my official approval yesterday! Woohooo! 😁 Now, just waiting on the scheduler to get me on the calendar! She did email me this morning and said she is currently booking into the week of Aug 23rd and she most likely won't call me until the end of the week or early next week. So, I'm going to assume my surgery will fall somewhere in the first two weeks of September.

Now, question for all of you - I have a large conference that I may be asked to attend in Vegas Oct. 20-22. I live on the East Coast, so several hours of flying. If I have surgery in early Sept. do you all think I would be good to travel/fly mid-Oct? I'm not so much concerned with the flying part as I am the lifting a heavy suitcase/carrying a decent size bag around and all of the walking that will be a part of the conference (I usually log at least 3 miles a day at large conferences).

I just mentioned to my manager yesterday I would be having a procedure most likely in Sept and there's a small chance I wouldn't be able to go. So, I can avoid it, but honestly I would like to go if possible. I have to sign up by next Friday. I haven't told anyone from work as I'm not close to anyone and we're all remote. Actually, only my husband knows and one friend! I'm a very private person.

What do you all think? Any advice? I believe I will be on soft foods and possibly regular foods by then according to my surgeon's plan. Thanks!!!

IMO, if you have your surgery the end of Aug beginning of Sept you SHOULD be good by the end of October. I mean, even if you get your surgery the second week of September, by Oct 20-22 that will put you around 6/7 weeks out. That's exactly where I am today (7 weeks out) and I am totally healed, can walk for as long as I want, can now lift and have for weeks, etc. I have no restrictions at all when it comes to that sort of thing this far in. And I'm also on the regular food phase of my diet which will make traveling easier too (assuming you'll be on a similar diet/path). I think you'll be fine. Congrats!!!

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

Please discuss with your doctor. I had a similar situation. He was more concerned about flying too close to the surgery due to possible blood clots. It does seem that 6 weeks would be enough time....but ask the professionals.

I travel a lot for work and also for pleasure. I was told no lifting a suitcase for 4 weeks, so I've told my boss I can't travel for four weeks. I haven't had surgery yet, so I can't tell you if four weeks will be enough time. Do you have to take a "heavy" suitcase? Can you pack light? I always do carry on for work.

You should be pretty healed by then but certainly check with your surgeon - they all have different restrictions. Can you use a wheelie bag? You may experience some periods of low energy so take some electrolyte drinks or powders with you. Build up your walking stamina in the weeks after your surgery. Start slow & see how you go.

you should be fine by then, but like others have said, check with your surgeon