Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing not fitting the same as before

I'm happy to have gotten down to my wedding weight a little over 2 months post op but I'm noticing that clothing that I fit at the same weight is too tight requiring 5-10 more pounds loss before it fits the same (my guess). I am assuming this is because I might have less muscle and more fat than prior. If any of you experienced this how did you workout to remedy or were you not able to? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly, I don't know how it works. When I was in the 180's last time (when I was 12, almost 22 years ago) I wore a 16 in women's jeans. I'm a 12 in women's jeans at this weight right now. Honestly, I don't know why that is...

I think you lose weight in different places as you progress. You might lose more in your legs or your breasts first then your tummy or butt. Much like when we used to gain. I noticed that my previous hour glass shape became more straight up & down when I lost my weight & many things that used to fit well at my smaller size now didn’t. I had a lot of baggy ass pants in my wardrobe that fitted well at my waist. Thankfully as my body resettled my hour glass shape has returned somewhat.

Clothing sizes have been ‘adjusted’ a lot over the last couple of decades too to allow for changes to body shapes: broader shoulders, heavier thighs & calves, larger breasts, etc. Plus of course the whole vanity sizing thing. Also don’t get me started on the irregularity of clothing sizes not only across brands but within the same brand. It’s one of the reasons I dislike shopping online - I don’t know what size to buy.

32 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

Honestly, I don't know how it works. When I was in the 180's last time (when I was 12, almost 22 years ago) I wore a 16 in women's jeans. I'm a 12 in women's jeans at this weight right now. Honestly, I don't know why that is...

Vanity sizing. As people have gotten bigger, the manufacturers have dropped the sizes on their clothing without actually changing the measurements (the idea being if you are a size 16 in one brand and a size 12 in the other, you'll buy the size 12 just because you feel better about it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Thanks for your replies. I am trying on my own clothing from 6 years ago that I saved. They are just a bit tight all over even though I'm the same weight on the same scale. I do think my legs have lost more than my belly so maybe that will even out soon. I surely hope my body shape isn't too much changed.

I have run into this too. I notice that I still have a belly that makes my shorts or pants or whatever roll down in a size that it didn’t used to. I’m sure you have less muscle but also fat moves around as we age. To all the WRONG places. Lol

18 hours ago, Wahinebythesea said:

Vanity sizing. As people have gotten bigger, the manufacturers have dropped the sizes on their clothing without actually changing the measurements (the idea being if you are a size 16 in one brand and a size 12 in the other, you'll buy the size 12 just because you feel better about it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Except it's not. Literally every pair of jeans I've tried on I wear a 12 unless it's skinny jeans, then it's a 14 (except for 1 pair which fits and is a 12). And when I was this weight before I was a 1xl in tops, but that fits like a TENT on me. I wear either a medium or large depending on the shirt. XL and 1x are HUGE on me. The only thing I can think of is maybe when I was this weight before I was more insecure so I bought bigger sizes? But it's been 20 years so my memory is a bit shaky...

I’m in the early post op phase. I don’t want to have to buy new scrubs for work just yet so I went on Amazon and bought a kit so I can put drawstrings in the waists of my scrub pants. Lol!

I'm mystified by this myself. I weigh 239 right now and last time I was this weight about 17 years ago, I wore a size 20 or 2X. Now I'm consistently fitting into an 18 or XL. I definitely have a different body than I did back then. I was an hourglass. I think I still technically am, but I have lost a ton in my legs and they're where I have the most loose skin even though my belly was huge before my wls. Shorts and pants are all too big in the legs but I can't get a size smaller or they won't fit around the waist and hips.
My breasts haven't lost much except band size, which is how I've always been. My cup size is the same.
One theory I have is that maybe the loose skin is easier to squish into a smaller size. [emoji2368]

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app