Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you develop GERD and/or Hiatal Hernias?

Hello!

I’m considering the gastric sleeve because I was nervous about the bypass. I want to know how many of you developed hiatal hernias and/or GERD after gastric sleeve. If so, how much time after?

Six weeks out. So far so good.

Immediately !! I coughed that whole first night after surgery and kept my roommate up it was so bad. I ended up having a revision 11 months ago because of esophagitis D and a hiatal hernia. I was afraid of getting the bypass too but as far as weight loss and maintaining it has been much easier. I honestly liked the sleeve better because of the restriction and being able to eat all foods, but the flip side of that was I constantly had to watch my weight and struggled just to stay around 170. I was 180 the day of my revision and this morning I weighed in at 150.8. This is the lowest I have ever been and usually maintain 155 to 159 with no stress. I had a temporary crown put on 2 weeks ago and dropped 8 lbs because I am not getting the food I usually eat because of pain. I go in on Monday for the permanent crown and am sure my weight will bounce back up. lol Good luck to you and whatever surgery you choose.

23 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

Immediately !! I coughed that whole first night after surgery and kept my roommate up it was so bad. I ended up having a revision 11 months ago because of esophagitis D and a hiatal hernia. I was afraid of getting the bypass too but as far as weight loss and maintaining it has been much easier. I honestly liked the sleeve better because of the restriction and being able to eat all foods, but the flip side of that was I constantly had to watch my weight and struggled just to stay around 170. I was 180 the day of my revision and this morning I weighed in at 150.8. This is the lowest I have ever been and usually maintain 155 to 159 with no stress. I had a temporary crown put on 2 weeks ago and dropped 8 lbs because I am not getting the food I usually eat because of pain. I go in on Monday for the permanent crown and am sure my weight will bounce back up. lol Good luck to you and whatever surgery you choose.

Thank you for your honest review! I don’t have GERD but I’ve read that it is pretty common to have issues after the sleeve, even years after. I’m planning to only do this surgery once so maybe the bypass is the way to go.

Yep, I have GERD and a hiatal hernia. I am still trying to weigh the options on how to deal with it. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had never had bariatric surgery at all - in MY case, I think I would have been happier and healthier without surgery, because my weight wasn't causing me any health issues yet and I just gave myself new problems with the surgery. If I was in fact dealing with health issues from the weight, now I feel like I might have been better off just doing the gastric bypass from the start.

No Gerd or hernia. I had no problems.

I developed GERD with my sleeve. Had the sleeve for just over 3 years before having revision to bypass in dec 2020 and Couldn’t be happier now. Since the bypass, no more symptoms of GERD at all :) and weight loss has been so much more consistent for me this time so far
Good luck on your journey :)

On 4/20/2021 at 6:15 PM, SleevedK said:

Yep, I have GERD and a hiatal hernia. I am still trying to weigh the options on how to deal with it. Knowing what I know now, I wish I had never had bariatric surgery at all - in MY case, I think I would have been happier and healthier without surgery, because my weight wasn't causing me any health issues yet and I just gave myself new problems with the surgery. If I was in fact dealing with health issues from the weight, now I feel like I might have been better off just doing the gastric bypass from the start.

Same!

I went to WL support groups for 1 year before I had the sleeve. GERD was very common; but I discounted it because I didn’t understand that it’s NOT Your garden variety Pop-a-tums GERD. (I don’t think many of the Doctors really know how bad this type of GERD is.)

The Bypass patients seemed to have really intense energy problems “, mal-nutrition and gas - so I opted for what I thought would be occasion TUMS. LOL - yeah - NO. People don’t go in for revision for that!

I wish I could jump in a time machine and cancel the surgery.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:43 PM, Gabriatric2020 said:

I had the sleeve in December with the hernia repair. Pre-surgery I didn’t get GERD bad, it was rare and only at night before bed. After surgery I feel like it might have got worse at the 2 month mark, but your surgeon most likely will give u medication and I’ve been taking it and it helps a lot- when I forget the acid reflux will remind you to. There’s one pill u can take before you eat to help- which Is very helpful to take if You plan on eating out. I hope it is just a temporary thing.