Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, the honeymoon may be over

I knew it would be coming. I know it does happen to us all but I’m still annoyed that the honeymoon period of increased metabolism, lack of hunger, etc. seems to be ending for me.

First, I noticed a little scale creep. I fluctuate between 48.1 & 49.1kg & have for a few months now. Well I did. Now I fluctuate between 48.5 & 49.5kg. Now I know that‘s only 1/2 a kg (about 1 pound) but I also know I’ve had no change to my diet, calorie intake, activity & it’s been doing this for a month.

Then two weeks ago, I felt really hungry. All day long. For three days in a row. On the second day, I realised the hunger was just like my old hormonal (pmt) craving for carbs specifically bread. It was surprising because I haven’t had a desire for bread for almost two years & secondly I’ve been menopausal for 5 yrs so no monthly hormonal fluctuations to even drive this hunger for me anymore. Thank gracious there’s no bread in my house otherwise I swear I could have devoured a whole loaf in one day & still not felt full. I did weaken & have some extra multi grain crackers though. Sigh.

My sleeping has also become bad again. One of the unexpected benefits of the surgery was actually sleeping at night - anywhere from 7 to 9 hours a night. I used to average about 5 very broken hours so being able to sleep was wonderful. Now, my sleep is broken again, with 3+ hours at a time of just lying there awake.

Of well, seems like I’m about to embark on my next battle. This one to continue to keep the weight off but without the help of my big guns (fast metabolism & no hunger). Have to work out additional ways to fortify my borders.

You're extremely disciplined and knowledgeable. Plus you are meticulously watching your weight. If you are plateauing or even gaining a pound or so, you can reduce your caloric intake and increase exercise. I know you'll make the necessary adjustments and be fine.

Make a list of extremely low calorie Snacks (e.g., one red grape is 3 calories) that you can munch on if your cravings won't pass after some time. Really savor the snack.

In the end, all of your vigilance and discipline will pay off and keep you at your ideal weight. I'll bet on it.

I see that you are well below your goal weight and at a quite low BMI, so you certainly have a comfortable cushion. I think you've done very well if you feel that your honeymoon is just ending now, because I think mine was over at about 14 months. To be honest, I prefer maintenance (at least so far) because it seems like I can eat more or less normally--albeit a new normal--and my weight stays within a pretty tight range. You just have to find that sweet spot, and after nearly two years you definitely have the knowledge to do so.

It annoying to have to change stuff up when you were motoring along on a well established routine.

I"m confident that you will be able to find your next new gear and then motor on along on that road until the next time to change.

I believe success and sanity (in all things) is well rooted in one's ability to change/adapt/adjust, and you've got these qualities in spades.

❤️

yes it does get a lot more challenging once you get a couple years out. That's when a lot of people start gaining. Just monitor yourself constantly - and set a drop-dead weight -- the highest you're willing to go - and if and when you reach that (which you likely will at times), it's all hands on deck until you get back comfortably into your range again. It does take constant work. I get so tired of it - but on the other hand, I never want to go back to where I was before, so I'm willing to do what I have to do.

12 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

yes it does get a lot more challenging once you get a couple years out. That's when a lot of people start gaining. Just monitor yourself constantly - and set a drop-dead weight -- the highest you're willing to go - and if and when you reach that (which you likely will at times), it's all hands on deck until you get back comfortably into your range again. It does take constant work. I get so tired of it - but on the other hand, I never want to go back to where I was before, so I'm willing to do what I have to do.

@catwoman7, just out of curiosity, how many times have you gotten to that drop-dead weight (if you don't mind saying)?

21 minutes ago, BigSue said:

@catwoman7, just out of curiosity, how many times have you gotten to that drop-dead weight (if you don't mind saying)?

I'm three lbs over it right now! (and dying - I HATE THIS!!! But I'm working on it...). Last summer I was consistently about 5 lbs under it because I was out all the time (biking or whatever) - but I'd say maybe two or three times since then (??). Holiday periods and winter in general are a bit tough. This is the highest I can remember being over it - it's usually just a pound or so.

It sucks that the honeymoon period is ending, but you got this! You're one of the names I see posting a bit when I lurk and read through success stories and such, and it seems like you've got a really solid base that you're starting with now for maintenance. I don't have tips or anything cause I haven't even had surgery, but I wanted to at least throw another supportive voice to the mix.

Thank you everyone for your support, common sense advice & your your kind words.

As some of you know, it took me about a year & an additional loss of 10kg to find my maintenance sweet spot. And I was eating a lot - several Snacks a day just to get the calories in so I wouldn’t loose more. Now I’m eating a little less & on about 1200 calories a day. I have a little wriggle room with calories I could cut but I wouldn’t really want to go below that 1200. I’d be back where I spent most of my life basically starving myself. Eating only once or twice a day kills your metabolism & I did that a lot from age 13. It was my default. And I don’t want to live like that again.

Yep, I do have some wriggle room with my weight but I like my weight where it is. Though I’m a lower BMI I’m not bony by any stretch. And believe me I still have ‘fleshy’ thighs. But finding clothes that fit can be a bit challenging at times.

Been watching Dr Matthew Weiner’s videos about the end of the honeymoon period & his reset diet. I have his book too so I’ll be doing some reading on the weekend. 🙂

Fingers crossed I can quickly discover what will work for me in this phase.

Edited by Arabesque