Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. I hope you are fine and safe.

This is my 4th week post op. I am starting to regret this surgery. Everytime i want to eat my stomach hurts and i miss eating bread! I am from middle east and all our food has bread. I don't know what to eat but every time o eat i have a big discomfort in my belly and i have huge hiccups.

My portion size is about 2 to 3 spoons of anything!! When will things start to get better. I actually need some postive vibes.

Thank you[emoji3531]

Sent from my SM-F700F using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello all. I hope you are fine and safe.
This is my 4th week post op. I am starting to regret this surgery. Everytime i want to eat my stomach hurts and i miss eating bread! I am from middle east and all our food has bread. I don't know what to eat but every time o eat i have a big discomfort in my belly and i have huge hiccups.
My portion size is about 2 to 3 spoons of anything!! When will things start to get better. I actually need some postive vibes.
Thank you[emoji3531]

Another thing, when do you think it's best to have a glass of alcohol?

you're still early out. Many people are eventually able to eat bread - but some never or rarely do because it bothers their stomachs. I can eat it, but not a lot of it - it feels like a rock in my stomach if I eat more than a little of it - but some people can eventually eat it without issues. Also, your stomach is probably still swollen from the surgery so it's still quite small, so you have to focus on nutritionally dense foods that your body needs. Bread isn't that nutritious. But in time, you may be able to eat it again.

you will definitely be able to eat more as time goes on. I'd probably be considered a "light eater" now. No one would be able to tell I had surgery, because although I don't eat a lot, it's still within the normal range, I think. I eat about the same amount as some of my never-been-obese women friends do.

Edited by catwoman7

I agree, it will get better! Each day, you can eat a little more, find something you like, etc. bread may not be the best option, but I have had bread, albeit not a lot and not at every meal.

Same with alcohol, but again, not nearly as much as pre-surgery, maybe one to two drinks a couple of times per week. I started with a little drink about 6 weeks out.

I started eating Joseph's Whole Wheat Pita bread at 6 months out. That is when my docs said it was safe to eat. I only eat 1/2 of a 1/2. That is all my belly can take. I am still eating small amounts of food. I am Middle Eastern also, and we had bread at every meal.

Give it time. This all very new & you’ll have a lot of learning on the way.

I’m about 22 months out & I still don’t eat bread, wraps, or similar. It’s a combination of my choice & I expect it will sit heavily in my tummy limiting what else I can eat like the soya bean Pasta did when I tried that. I do eat multigrain crackers which I started in maintenance.

I suffered from painful hiccups for decades & it wasn’t until I was prescribed Nexium (esomeprazole) did I find some relief - it actually stopped them after a few minutes. Have you been prescribed esomeprazole? Many sleevers do as it helps with the acid production & reflux. Also are you eating/sipping slowly? Eating or drinking too quickly can set my hiccups off.

Your tummy is pretty sensitive & cantankerous to begin (like a two yr old). A lot of things can cause it throw a tantrum & upset you one day but then be fine the next. Treat it gently to begin. A lot of us had a very limited diet for some time - eating the same couple of things & then slowly adding foods when we could tolerate them. Lots of trial & error. Now I eat anything I want.

As for alcohol, check with your medical team. I had a glass at about 2/3 (took hours to drink) & then nothing for a while. I still don’t drink often. Maybe once a month. Don’t miss it. The worry about alcohol is addiction swapping - food to alcohol.

Good luck.

I'm three years out and LOVE bread of all kinds. Naan is a favorite. Love sourdough and pumpernickle, health nut and multigrain too.

But I've gotta say, it's still tough to eat a lot of it, even now....and that's probably for the best in my case cause historically, bread was something I'd go to town on and overindulge.

I can eat bread almost like a normal person now...meaning...a reasonable single or half serving of it, instead of a double or triple serving like I used to. Balance is a good thing!

You're still in early days. And yep, you're gonna have moments of frustration and missing your old eating habits, missing the way certain things tasted/felt. Old favorites won't work anymore and it's a weird feeling....for me there was a little bit of food grief...as disturbing as that is to say, I did feel genuinely sad about my changing relationships with food.

But then, I found new healthy favorites, new ways of cooking, got used to new portion sizes, new expectations. New body, better health:)

It does get a lot better in time. Promise.

Edited by Creekimp13

I agree, it will get better! Each day, you can eat a little more, find something you like, etc. bread may not be the best option, but I have had bread, albeit not a lot and not at every meal.
Same with alcohol, but again, not nearly as much as pre-surgery, maybe one to two drinks a couple of times per week. I started with a little drink about 6 weeks out.
Thanks dear

I started eating Joseph's Whole Wheat Pita bread at 6 months out. That is when my docs said it was safe to eat. I only eat 1/2 of a 1/2. That is all my belly can take. I am still eating small amounts of food. I am Middle Eastern also, and we had bread at every meal.
6 months waw!! Ah great where are you from?

Give it time. This all very new & you’ll have a lot of learning on the way.
I’m about 22 months out & I still don’t eat bread, wraps, or similar. It’s a combination of my choice & I expect it will sit heavily in my tummy limiting what else I can eat like the soya bean Pasta did when I tried that. I do eat multigrain crackers which I started in maintenance.
I suffered from painful hiccups for decades & it wasn’t until I was prescribed Nexium (esomeprazole) did I find some relief - it actually stopped them after a few minutes. Have you been prescribed esomeprazole? Many sleevers do as it helps with the acid production & reflux. Also are you eating/sipping slowly? Eating or drinking too quickly can set my hiccups off.
Your tummy is pretty sensitive & cantankerous to begin (like a two yr old). A lot of things can cause it throw a tantrum & upset you one day but then be fine the next. Treat it gently to begin. A lot of us had a very limited diet for some time - eating the same couple of things & then slowly adding foods when we could tolerate them. Lots of trial & error. Now I eat anything I want.
As for alcohol, check with your medical team. I had a glass at about 2/3 (took hours to drink) & then nothing for a while. I still don’t drink often. Maybe once a month. Don’t miss it. The worry about alcohol is addiction swapping - food to alcohol.
Good luck.
Hello.
Yes i take something like nexium, parriet. My dr prescribed parriet to take for a month on the morning. I dont have reflux, i made also hiatal hernia surgery before the sleeve thats why i don't feel the reflux thanks God.
About the alcohol, im not addicted to it but i have mane occasions coming and i was checking if it was ok to have one glass.

I'm three years out and LOVE bread of all kinds. Naan is a favorite. Love sourdough and pumpernickle, health nut and multigrain too.
But I've gotta say, it's still tough to eat a lot of it, even now....and that's probably for the best in my case cause historically, bread was something I'd go to town on and overindulge.
I can eat bread almost like a normal person now...meaning...a reasonable single or half serving of it, instead of a double or triple serving like I used to. Balance is a good thing!
You're still in early days. And yep, you're gonna have moments of frustration and missing your old eating habits, missing the way certain things tasted/felt. Old favorites won't work anymore and it's a weird feeling....for me there was a little bit of food grief...as disturbing as that is to say, I did feel genuinely sad about my changing relationships with food.
But then, I found new healthy favorites, new ways of cooking, got used to new portion sizes, new expectations. New body, better health[emoji4]
It does get a lot better in time. Promise.
Haha food grief! I love the expression. Im feeling like this now. Thanks for the support