Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein drinks suck post op

I'm about 7 days post op and I'm finding it troubling to drink them. First few days was fine but now I can only stomach 2 to 4 oz a day. It's like after I drink it this taste floods my mouth and makes my stomach turn. I don't physically want to vomit but the taste makes me ill. It's as if drinking them now on an empty stomach makes me not want them at all. I have an appointment next Friday, any tips or suggestions? I feel like a failure just starting out

Sent from my SM-G981U using BariatricPal mobile app

Try Bone Broth instead of shakes...Swanson's Sipping broth has 9grams of Protein for 45 calories.

Try Protein hot chocolate. I found it much easier to drink than cold Protein Shakes. If you make it with Fairlife milk instead of Water, it has as much protein as a shake. I love the BariatricPal brand, but there’s a similar product from ProtiDiet that you can buy on Amazon.

You can also try protein Soups if you’re tired of sweet drinks. Another option is clear Protein Drinks (like Protein2O or Syntrax Nectar), which are more like juice than shakes, so you might find them more palatable.

When are you allowed to start puréed foods? You can mix Protein Powder into almost anything puréed (unflavored for savory foods, flavored for sweet foods like yogurt or sugar-free pudding).

If you have been using the same Protein Shakes the whole time (before and after surgery), you might want to try different types and different flavors. I loved Premium Protein before surgery, but found them too thick and sweet afterwards. I found that I preferred protein powder mixed with Water, which I found too "thin" before surgery. I also really liked protein water for the first couple of months; my favorite was Isopure Grape.

I had such a problem finding something that went down and stayed down the first 2 weeks. Pre-op I had liked pretty much all the clear Protein Drinks, but post op only the grape Isopure seemed okay. Beef broth worked okay. I wish I had tried the hot chocolate. And I wish I had tried things at different temperatures. After the 2 week mark (and likely internal swelling had gone down and healing was on its way) my tummy seemed to tolerate many more options.

It was a bit frightening at first when it seemed like my taste buds and sensitive tummy were rejecting everything. Now it’s hard to remember that feeling with any clarity.