Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI - Second guessing Dec 31 VSG

Hi there, I am scheduled for VSG on 12/31 but I am having a very hard time deciding if I want to go through with it and am a nervous wreck! I have been dealing with high blood pressure for the past 5 years and am now pre-diabetic. Just wanted to see if anyone had any regrets of getting the surgery or second guessed it in the beginning. I am 5" 2" and 195 pounds currently. (48yo)

Any advice you can give or suggestions for feeling more confident about this surgery? Any low BMI patients out there that have had the VSG and its working out just fine?

I had a BMI not far from yours when I had the surgery last month and have lost 22lbs in the month since surgery. I also lost 19 lbs on the preop diet. My doctor was amazing, I had little pain and it has been incredible to lose 40lbs in just over 1 month. My wife also had the surgery the same day that I did, but had a much higher BMI. She also has lost 40 lbs since the preop diet and had a little more pain than I did but it has subsided.

This surgery has changed my families lives in just the short while that we have had it. I highly recommend to everyone who qualifies to get the surgery. We are advocating to our other family members who are above the 35 BMI threshold to get this surgery to help take back their lives and be able to do everything that they want to do.

If you are like me, you started the process of getting approval for surgery because you have been fighting weight for years. There is a reason you chose this path and this surgery will be life changing for the better.

I was 192 lbs and 5'5" - at my highest weight (besides one week after surgery when I gained 10 lbs from the IV fluids/air they fill you with/swelling??)... I had never been over 200 lbs.

I wore a size 10-12 in pants... and X-large in shirts.

I lost ALMOST 50 lbs pretty quickly and I can't seem to get below 138 lbs... I lose like 1 lbs per month since September.

It is one of the best decisions I've made for myself.

I am a size 4 in pants now & a size small/medium in shirts.

I still want to lose weight and get down to 130-135 lbs so I can have some room to gain and lose... but I know that some of my weight is saggy skin in my underarm region and some on my lower belly. Which isn't bad, but I think without that skin - I'd likely be 5-10 lbs lighter.

Edited by Lanie992

3 hours ago, Amy_Aim said:

Hi there, I am scheduled for VSG on 12/31 but I am having a very hard time deciding if I want to go through with it and am a nervous wreck! I have been dealing with high blood pressure for the past 5 years and am now pre-diabetic. Just wanted to see if anyone had any regrets of getting the surgery or second guessed it in the beginning. I am 5" 2" and 195 pounds currently. (48yo)

Any advice you can give or suggestions for feeling more confident about this surgery? Any low BMI patients out there that have had the VSG and its working out just fine?

Is there anything in particular that you are worried about? If you have specific concerns, you should talk them over with your bariatric team. They've probably heard every question under the sun and can set your mind at ease. But if it's just that general "OMG, SURGERY!!!!" feeling, I think we can all relate. There's no question this is a big step. Maybe review what led you to choose surgery in the first place. Is your next diet going to end any differently from your last diet? Are your hypertension and pre-diabetes going to improve without the surgery? How does the risk of having these conditions compare to the risk of surgery (not just now, but over time)? If your reasoning for wanting surgery was sound, then it probably still is. :1313_thumbsup_tone4:

I had a bmi of 35 before my surgery & am 5’3” so similar to you. I wouldn’t consider it a low bmi though it is generally considered the minimum for surgery unless you have pre existing conditions like high blood pressure, which you have & diabetic, which you almost are.

In two days I’ll be 19 months post surgery. I have no regrets at all. Best decision. I slowly put on weight from puberty. Then yo yoed between 60 & 75kgs thru my 20s, 30s & 40s. Then I became peri menopausal & put on 12 kgs in about 6 months. When I became menopausal I put on another 15kgs I swear overnight. And I couldn’t lose any of it. I woke up one day & decided enough. Made an appointment with my GP & 6 weeks later I was in surgery.

I haven’t been the weight I am now since I was 12 & starting puberty. I’ve gone a full circle. Generally the whole process has been pretty smooth. My tendency to low blood pressure has become my every day life & I have the odd hyperglycaemic attack. But apart from that all good.

It is your decision but if you follow the plan, make permanent changes to how you eat & what you eat, it will work for you too. It’s not a quick fix nor the easy way out. There’s a lot of self reflection, learning & work involved. The benefits to your health, general feeling of well being, greater energy, confidence, etc. cannot be undervalued.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

I had a bmi of 35 before my surgery & am 5’3” so similar to you. I wouldn’t consider it a low bmi though it is generally considered the minimum for surgery unless you have pre existing conditions like high blood pressure, which you have & diabetic, which you almost are.

In two days I’ll be 19 months post surgery. I have no regrets at all. Best decision. I slowly put on weight from puberty. Then yo yoed between 60 & 75kgs thru my 20s, 30s & 40s. Then I became peri menopausal & put on 12 kgs in about 6 months. When I became menopausal I put on another 15kgs I swear overnight. And I couldn’t lose any of it. I woke up one day & decided enough. Made an appointment with my GP & 6 weeks later I was in surgery.

I haven’t been the weight I am now since I was 12 & starting puberty. I’ve gone a full circle. Generally the whole process has been pretty smooth. My tendency to low blood pressure has become my every day life & I have the odd hyperglycaemic attack. But apart from that all good.

It is your decision but if you follow the plan, make permanent changes to how you eat & what you eat, it will work for you too. It’s not a quick fix nor the easy way out. There’s a lot of self reflection, learning & work involved. The benefits to your health, general feeling of well being, greater energy, confidence, etc. cannot be undervalued.

Oh my gosh! You are so tiny now! I bet you look amazing! They approved me at my "low" BMI (sounds weird saying that because I was still obese by BMI standards) because I had preexisting conditions: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and borderline diabetic.. also possible sleep apnea.

It absolutely is work -- nothing super hard but it does take dedication. I can easily eat over 1,000 calories now, so I really have to track my food intake.

My appetite came back when I started exercising aggressively with 1.5 hrs of cardio / 6 times a week.. I guess my metabolism sped up, but I was eating WAY more. I hope I haven't stretched my tummy.

I went down to exercising 3 times a week and my appetite is a little more controlled.

Anyway - you're doing fantastic!!

oh my, thank you all so much for the responses. I think my fear is surgery in general yes! I am at the highest weight I have ever been my whole life and I just lost my mom this year at the age of 65. She suffered her first stroke in her 40s and went on the have 3 more. It started with stress, high blood pressure and she was diabetic. This was my wake up call and wanted to be better about my health and I have been dealing with high blood pressure for 5 years now and on 3 medications for it. I will say you all have helped to motivate me and wow you all have done an amazing job at your weight loss numbers! I look forward to updating you all on my decision and progress.. Again thank you all for your feedback!

5 hours ago, Amy_Aim said:

oh my, thank you all so much for the responses. I think my fear is surgery in general yes! I am at the highest weight I have ever been my whole life and I just lost my mom this year at the age of 65. She suffered her first stroke in her 40s and went on the have 3 more. It started with stress, high blood pressure and she was diabetic. This was my wake up call and wanted to be better about my health and I have been dealing with high blood pressure for 5 years now and on 3 medications for it. I will say you all have helped to motivate me and wow you all have done an amazing job at your weight loss numbers! I look forward to updating you all on my decision and progress.. Again thank you all for your feedback!

I am off of one of my blood pressure pills. The other one I take, propranolol, I've been taking for years as a preventive for migraines.. I started taking that when my blood pressure was normal, so I don't plan on ever stopping it since I do think it helps with Migraines. Also my cholesterol is the normal range... and my AC1 test came back better than it has been in over 6 years!! The health benefits have been beyond my wildest imagination.

I'd say absolutely do it! My only regret is not getting it sooner.

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I've lost my dad and it is such a tough journey!! Love and light to you!

On 12/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, Amy_Aim said:

Advice I would give to anyone who is nervous right before a surgery is that it's completely normal.

Also if you jumped through all the hoops and continued past each hurdle put in the way, then you must have been super serious about the procedure to begin with

Don't forget the reason why you started. Good Luck whichever path you choose ♥️

On 12/10/2020 at 21:33, Arabesque said:

Omg this is so much like my story!!! I am so relieved to hear the outcome has been positive for you. Thanks for taking the time to share this!