Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Welcome to the forums.

There is a reason there are literally zillions of different brands of Vitamins out there. The reason isn't that one of them is best. The reason is that everyone puts a different emphasis on what aspects are important.

Basically, you need to decide what is important to you. Maybe it needs to be chewable. Or natural. Or one Multivitamin. Or shaped like cute animals. Or just that right shade of beige. Or by that company that that RomCom star likes. Or because the cute clerk at the Vitamin store recommends it. Some people don't even do vitamins. Others take toxic levels of them.

As with all things, do your research, figure out what matters to you, narrow it down to a few dozen options, then do what makes sense.

Good luck,

Tek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should have received Vitamin requirements from your doctor or dietitian. Follow their recommendations. Below is breakdown of requirements I received. They may want you to start with chewable vitamins at first. I use one a dat capsules now. Just make sure whichever you choose, make sure it meets requirements. Also, if it contains Iron you cannot take Calcium supplements within two hours of taking vitamin. I buy Vitamins from this site to support them hosting this forum.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-10-at-5.40.39-PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the WLS Vitamins but they made me sick. I was able get back on my regular Vitamin after speaking with my doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told to take chewable vitamins for the first 6 weeks after surgery. I used BariMelts. You don't even have to chew them; they melt in your mouth. They're not bad, but they're a bit pricey, so I've switched to capsules that are cheaper. I still take NatureMade sublingual B12 (they're cherry-flavored and melt in your mouth) and Natrol Biotin (strawberry-flavored and delicious), which are very affordable on Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigSue said:

I was told to take chewable vitamins for the first 6 weeks after surgery. I used BariMelts. You don't even have to chew them; they melt in your mouth. They're not bad, but they're a bit pricey, so I've switched to capsules that are cheaper. I still take NatureMade sublingual B12 (they're cherry-flavored and melt in your mouth) and Natrol Biotin (strawberry-flavored and delicious), which are very affordable on Amazon.

Hi BigSue,

I have my bypass on November 10th. I am a big supplement taker and I didn't know you could still take capsules after a bypass. How long after your surgery were you able to take the capsules?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take ProCare capsules. I didn't start with those, I had Celebrate chewables, and chewable Iron. The iron was gross and my surgeon recommended the Procare because it has everything I need but Calcium.
I was allowed to swallow pills and capsules from day one.
I've been pretty happy with Procare so far.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So weird question, but is there any reason why I couldn’t open up a capsule (like the procare) and mix it in with a Protein Shake or something? Or should I really focus on trying to find a chewable one I can tolerate for the first few months? I tried a few and they were so bad I couldn’t handle them right now, so I don’t give very much hope I would do better after surgery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tolerate the taste of chewable vitamins better if I actually let them dissolve in my mouth while sucking on them.

By the looks of it, it will depend on whether the capsule outer is a slow release outer. Sounds like something you should discuss with your surgeon.

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/cutting-or-breaking-vitamin-or-supplement-tablets-and-capsules/cutting-breaking-vitamin-tablets/#:~:text=Answer%3A,or twisting open a capsule.&text=Twisting the capsule will separate the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, mlmx1138 said:

Hi BigSue,

I have my bypass on November 10th. I am a big supplement taker and I didn't know you could still take capsules after a bypass. How long after your surgery were you able to take the capsules?

 Thanks!

I was allowed to start taking capsules 6 weeks after surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

I can tolerate the taste of chewable vitamins better if I actually let them dissolve in my mouth while sucking on them.

By the looks of it, it will depend on whether the capsule outer is a slow release outer. Sounds like something you should discuss with your surgeon.

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/cutting-or-breaking-vitamin-or-supplement-tablets-and-capsules/cutting-breaking-vitamin-tablets/#:~:text=Answer%3A,or twisting open a capsule.&text=Twisting the capsule will separate the two.

Love consumerlab.com! I'm a member and highly recommend them. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×