Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long is your longest Lap Band related incision (private poll)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long is your longest Lap Band related incision (private poll)

• Less than 1 inch.
    • 1-2 inches
    • 2-3 inches
    • 3-4 inches
    • 4 or more inches!!! (let us know just how long!)

I am just curious... what size is your port incision. Or... if not your port incision, what is the largest incision you received from your Lap Band surgery?

Mine is just at 3 inches! I think the Doc. said he had to fit his hand in my belly at some point in the surgery. Could have been for the hiatal hernia though.

Mine are really small too. All of mine are just about 1/2 inch long. They are very thin too, except for one (a stitch must have popped loose, so it has almost a circular shape on one end.)

The Inamed port requires a very small incision. The J&J port requires double the size for an incision due to the equipment needed to place the port.

I used to be pro J&J bands but no more. After seeing a port placement I'm back to being pro Inamed. Understand, I'm saying this as a banded patient. As a nurse without a band I might feel differently, honestly.... I'm not sure.

The Inamed port requires a tiny incision because the surgeons stitch the band in place. With a J&J band there is a special instrument required to place the port and it is aggressive to say the least. It requires double the length for an incision. That's not good, bad, or indifferent by itself but all things considered, I have to admit. I'm back to being pro Inamed simply due to "how" the port is placed.

Cagstorm:

Mine is 3 1/2 inches - must have needed more room to fix hiatal hernia too.

Hope recovery goes well for you. Your weight loss is going very well for a newbie. Keep up the good work.

Sue

I have a J&J band that was applied with the special tool that comes with it, and my incision is only 1.5". My surgeon gave me the box my band came in along with all of the surgical instructions. It states for the surgeon to make an incision at least 3cm for the port applier. My incision is a bit larger than that, but still no larger than what many have with the Allergan band.

Guest WillyWonka

My incision is about 1.5 inches, however, I seem to be one of a few with my Inamed port positioned just below my sternum (breastbone).

Anyone else out there with their port below their breastbone?

Mine is just under an inch. The other wholes are like pin pricks. Dr. Ortiz in TJ did a fabulous job. I told him while I was laying in the O.R. to go easy on me, I scar horribly. He did a fabulous job, no stitches on the outside, just surgical glue. I love that man!

WillyWonka:

My port incision is below my breast bone - down about an inch from there. I have a bigger scar than you though - mine is 3 1/4 inches. I had a hiatal hernia too, maybe they opened up there to fix it - don't know why my scar is so big.

Sue