Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone help, or....

I'm a 38 year old male and I'm 4 years and 2 months post VSG. I weighed ~270 at my 1st consultation and 254 at surgery time. I'm 5'5" tall and my goal weight was set at 160 with the understanding that I'd likely lose the 1st 80lbs over about 18 month and it would take strict diet and exercise to get to, and maintain my goal. As I type this I weigh 114lbs. I'm literally skin and bones and I cannot figure out how to gain some weight back. I've tried just about every Protein Drink and shake combo imaginable, even though every one of them makes me nauseated to the point that it's not even funny. I try to eat more every day but I have very little capacity. I pretty much exist anymore with no strength, no energy, terrible insomnia, and I hurt 24/7 from head to toe. I'm so bony that there is not a comfortable position sitting, laying, or standing for that matter. My initial follow ups with the surgeon were a joke and his dietician could offer no more advice than "drink your protein". I've had swallow studies and various imaging. The tech that did my abdominal ultrasound said she couldn't even visualize stomach tissue. My thoughts are that too much tissue was taken. I doubt I can ever prove this. I could go on and on but the simple fact is I feel like I'm slowly starving to death and I need help. So far, every doctor I've visited has recommended more exercise and protein..... I'll admit I've tried, seriously. I can lose a pound a day, still, with light to moderate exercise and I just can't afford to lose any more. Internet searches on how to gain weight have been less than helpful and anything sleeve related come up with how to Not gain weight. Can anyone share some thoughts or ideas...? I'm all out.

I am so so very sorry for you. I am pre gastric sleeve and this is the first time I've heard of someone losing too much weight so I'm at a loss as to what to do. Have you tried going to youtube.com and doing a search for cases such as yours. Have you tried adding more carbs and/or fats to your diet? Are you able to keep food down?

Sorry you are going through this situation. Have you tried slider foods? I know that is a BIG NO, when speaking on weight loss surgery but you're on the opposite spectrum.

I've never heard of this and fear your only solution is medical, seeing a different doctor. Can you eat nut butters or any Protein dense, high calorie food? If you want to say where you live in TX, people may be able to recommend their programs/doctors.

Just did this post last week - I went thru the same thing and it took me a long time and even with a Nutrioshinist was a b***h to figure out. You are way worse then i got but here are my specs

Started 377

6 month later 165

One year 220

Scope: You are going to have to trick your body back into storing fat. This is not easy but I can be done, First thing get a ketones strips and make sure you are not in Ketosis. I was and that was hard to get out of. Check you testosterone level If that is messed up you gotta fix it. Next thing get your throat checked out you may have throat issues. I did and this made a huge difference on what i can take in. Simple Stretch and I was good to go.

Now here is where i get bashed.

I have no choice but to consume unhealthy foods - I keep my meal plan perfect in terms of all food groups and focus on soft Proteins. But i take in around 500 calories a day in bad food also with my balanced diet. I need to stay at 1300 calories a day. I keep a bowl of M and Ms on my desk, TIny little candy bars. Will take down a kids can of Chef Boy Arde. I have a cabinet full of chunky Soup, canned stews, Just high calorie food, so I slip one into my diet a day. dips and Spreads are my go to for example Bar cheese and Crackers, I have a aresonal of crackers cheese and spreads. Even went as far to get a can of Cheeze Whiz! Just snack foods that are high in calories and they keep my body tricked from burning off all the Good healthy food that i also eat.

I also tried everything to stop losing and it did not work, One thing that may also help is The MRE powder, It is loaded up with calories and good things. I take a scope every day at lunch

In summary mix up what you can do, Keep you Vitamins and Minerals balanced but sending different things at you body may cause a stall. For example I went off the Bad food for two weeks and started to loose again. You will find a mixture of Calories, Protiens, Carbs and sugar that you can handle.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SUGAR, GO SO SLOW ITS SILLY IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK - For example I can only eat one peanut M and M per 10 minutes or one cheeze and cracker. You over due it you will pay for it.

For all of you coming at me - This is common in Males, i have researched it and found many with the same problem, It was a b***h for me to get balanced and off the burn. He is in a Jam like i was, could not even lift a bag of dog food at 165 pounds. My ideal weight is 215-220 and It is going to take years to get the muscle back.

I have incredibly will power but be careful if you can not control addiction to garbage food. In my mind it is a tool like a Vitamin to keep me on course. Not for pleasure

1 hour ago, WInston223322 said:

Just did this post last week - I went thru the same thing and it took me a long time and even with a Nutrioshinist was a b***h to figure out. You are way worse then i got but here are my specs

Started 377

6 month later 165

One year 220

For all of you coming at me - This is common in Males, i have researched it and found many with the same problem, It was a b***h for me to get balanced and off the burn. He is in a Jam like i was, could not even lift a bag of dog food at 165 pounds. My ideal weight is 215-220 and It is going to take years to get the muscle back.

Winston, No bashing here...you have (literally) worked your tail off, and with the aid/supervision of a nutritionist so who are we to bash. I salute your hard work, determination, honesty in getting healthy.

I believe each of us can learn something from one another in life if we’re open to honesty within ourselves. For me, and maybe many others who feel frustrated we’re not losing weight at warp speed like a few others, the lesson is there is almost Zero way we can lose SO much, SO fast without losing important and valuable muscle. Your experience illustrates well.

Not many of us would have the sheer strength and determination to do what you’ve done first of all in losing SO much SO fast, and now, dedicated to the years of rebuilding it will take, as you describe so well.

Maybe slow and steady wins this race, particularly for those of us without the strength and bodily constitution to try to warp speed it and then need to rebuild—-if we’re lucky enough to rebuild in not getting very sick in some way.

Thanks for sharing, it helped my head and I wish you continued healing every single day of LIFE!

Edited by Lily66

Have you tried switching your diet to a carb-based diet with add'l fats added in? Considering your situation, maybe it's time to switch off of lean Protein and go for more calorie-dense food. Also, there are nutritional drinks on the market designed to help people but on weight, and are very calorie dense and easy to tolerate if you have a problem holding onto solid food.

I had a friend with a similar problem and it turned out that her thyroid was out of whack and she had to start taking medicine for overactive thyroid. I'm sure if you've been to other doctors, they have run blood tests but if not, that should be a priority.

What you're going through sounds awful! Wishing you well and hoping you solve this problem very soon!

@PolahBeou

Sorry that you are having issues.

At 5'5" and 114Lbs. Your BMI is 19.0 Low end of normal. One more pound will be underweight. You said "So far, every doctor I've visited has recommended more exercise and protein. " Wow, exercise contradicts weight gain. Who are these Dr's? Seek new Dr.s and pressure them. Advocate for yourself until you get the help you need.

Suggestions (not medical professional advice)

Sop exercising. You are burning calories that your body needs.

If your surgery restriction is tight, Eat small meals all day to stop weight loss and gain weight. The only way you gain weight is eating extra calories. (High carb and fat)

Try a medical grade weight gaining shake and a Liquid/powdered carbohydrates. look on Amazon or GNC

19 minutes ago, afterthought said:

You said "So far, every doctor I've visited has recommended more exercise and protein. " Wow, exercise contradicts weight gain.

Exercise (strength training) and Protein to get some muscles on the frame is actually not the worst recommendation possible. Sufficient calories are important though to build up mass.

Wow! Thanks y'all!

I really appreciate the outpouring of advice here! I got booted off of a male bariatric board for this about a year ago and was hesitant to try again. Winston, I love the advice and your story above. Nut butter were mentioned and I’m down to try those too. Softer foods are definitely better and I do love Pasta.< span> I’ve recently started overcooking it to aid the digestion process. Rice is tricky for me. I’ll begin adding in more high calorie filler between meals and work to snack/graze every ½ hour or so.

I did undergo Testosterone pelleting and I’m not sure it made any difference outside of “that area” becoming more lifelike (sorry ladies). I have hashimoto’s and I question whether the desiccated thyroid meds are contributing to chronic weight loss.

Someone asked where in TX, (sorry I’m not good at stringing replies). I’m in the suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth.

FutureFine Mama mentioned slider foods. Not sure what that is but heading to google to check it out.

I was trying to keep it short and not sound like a little baby, so thank you all. I never added that I went from 254 to 120 in less than 8 months and the ride has been terrible since. I really, truly appreciate the replies!!

2 minutes ago, PolahBeou said:

I never added that I went from 254 to 120 in less than 8 months and the ride has been terrible since.

What you mentioned in your first post is actually quite typical for people being at a big calorie deficit for whatever reason ("no strength, no energy, terrible insomnia").

How much calories are you getting in a day?

~600 or so. I eat till I hurt, which is a few bites, 3-4 times a day. I drink a lot of Water and sadly can't tolerate milk. I've been trying to stretch myself with Bubly brand carbonated waters. Painful and hasn't proven to increase capacity.

I don't think anyone on here needs to tell you that you need to take in more calories. If you can't have milk, try a substitute like soy or almond milk or coconut milk.

Nuts/nut butters or avocados blended in shakes add plenty of calories.

If it were me? I’d seek the best medical team I could find and not be patient about it. As someone pointed out, you’re not that far from being in a reasonable weight range, but the next 20lbs in the wrong direction could be very detrimental. Should you (heaven forbid) come down with a serious illness, you won’t have that cushion to get you through it. Good luck and Godspeed! Also puzzled why you were “booted off another bariatric board over this a year ago”?

That board was all sunshine and rainbows honestly. I asked for help and told my story and the post was removed because the moderator sad it was negative. A later PM stated that my surgical story could scare others away who were in the pre-op phases and my presence wouldn't be tolerated. Childish and silly but it kept me away from forums for a while....