Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling full is so different to me now. I can't tell if I'm full, lol. So today is day 1 of soft foods for me (cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs, etc). Tonight I had for dinner 1/4 cup cottage cheese and 2 slices of a peach (cut up into triangles). Feeling full is so different. It doesn't feel like it used to. I don't even know if I'm full, but I got a weird pain in my sternum close to being done, so I stopped. I think this is my new full? Anyone else think it feels different after the sleeve?

My surgery technically has a sleeve stomach and feeling full feels the same to me as before the surgery. Now, anyway. For the first two weeks it was like my stomach did flips or something when I got full. It'd make my chest tight. Maybe it was lingering gas or something, I really don't know... but, I think it's different for everyone.

Edited by NovaLuna

feeling full feels different for most people, and some people don't feel "full" at all, especially in the beginning when the nerves are still healing and you're not eating solid foods. We were instructed just to measure out whatever amount we were supposed to eat and just eat that.

For me, I eat so slow to keep track. I don't feel "full" per se, but I do get a sensation of, "Huh, okay, one more bite... *chew chew chew* *can't swallow*" if I'm not paying attention.

If I'm paying attention, I just stop when I'm starting to get the sensation I have before that, which... feels like being full but isn't the same as before? It's so weird.

I'm struggling with this. I have no sensation of being full, even when I've overeaten. I do get some burps and gurgles when I've drunk too much too fast (especially Protein shakes), but no real signals for food. But in the past three days I've had two episodes of dumping syndrome, the last one definitely because of overeating. It took over 8 hours for me to feel decent enough to be able to start drinking Water again, after being up all night in pain. I had the ricotta bake which I used to eat after my first surgery no problem, but in this case it was a disaster. 😞 I definitely need to portion out everything to stop this from happening again since I can't rely on my body to stop eating. I did eat a small portion, but I guess it was still too big for someone only 2 weeks out from surgery.

I can feel it like a pressure in the epigastric area, directly under the xiphoid.

This was after the MGB as well and it's now the same. With a little time it changes to a "normal" feeling of fullness. It was kind of fascinating feeling this pressure in a little, pretty well defined area only.

22 minutes ago, biginjapan said:

I definitely need to portion out everything to stop this from happening again since I can't rely on my body to stop eating. I did eat a small portion, but I guess it was still too big for someone only 2 weeks out from surgery.

Portions vary depending not only on the type of food but also sometimes from day to day or time of day. The portion sizes given are just for orientation in the end. For some people the recommended portion size is too big, others can eat more.

Maybe what you ate simply was too "solid" as well.

2 minutes ago, summerset said:

Portions vary depending not only on the type of food but also sometimes from day to day or time of day. The portion sizes given are just for orientation in the end. For some people the recommended portion size is too big, others can eat more.

Maybe what you ate simply was too "solid" as well.

It wasn't solid at all! It was baked ricotta - very light and fluffy, which made it all the more easy to overeat. I did have the feeling, about halfway through eating, that I should stop and keep the rest for leftovers, and I did pause for a while, but I still felt good and ended up finishing the entire portion. But of course I paid for that not less than an hour later!

I have no idea what consistency baked ricotta might have. However, I can notice a difference between really liquid stuff like tea, a Protein Shake that is slightly thicker and a more pudding like consistency. They all feel different.

I wonder if I can handle solids. Tomorrow I'm going to try.

37 minutes ago, summerset said:

I have no idea what consistency baked ricotta might have. However, I can notice a difference between really liquid stuff like tea, a Protein Shake that is slightly thicker and a more pudding like consistency. They all feel different.

I wonder if I can handle solids. Tomorrow I'm going to try.

I also can feel (?) the difference between those foods but I've also had some pureed carrots and chunks of tofu in my miso Soup and they went down fine. As does the small foil pack of tuna that I mix with mozzarella cheese (and warm up until it melts) that I've been eating daily. The baked ricotta recipe is a very soft food, almost like a souffle or mousse, so in theory it should have been the same as the other foods I've been eating, but I honestly think I just overate because it didn't feel any different to other foods that I've eaten and thus I didn't not portion it out correctly.

19 hours ago, Katheryn0303 said:

Feeling full is so different to me now. I can't tell if I'm full, lol. So today is day 1 of soft foods for me (cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs, etc). Tonight I had for dinner 1/4 cup cottage cheese and 2 slices of a peach (cut up into triangles). Feeling full is so different. It doesn't feel like it used to. I don't even know if I'm full, but I got a weird pain in my sternum close to being done, so I stopped. I think this is my new full? Anyone else think it feels different after the sleeve?

Absolutely, I have to adjust mentally and physically to how things feel now. I have not enjoyed anything, because the full feelings are truly special and happen quickly. I'm chewing and eating slowly. 2 bites and I'm done, 4 tiny bites chewed into nothing is blah right now.