Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had Gastric Sleeve Surgery on March 5 2019. I had been doing great. Losing from 335 to 234, I am back up to 250 and scared, Has this happened to anyone? I did incorporate social drinking back into my diet. I just don't want old habits/ways of coping to sneak up on me. Also, I needed to increase my Protein so started drinking high protein coffee in the morning but its about 100 calories plus 36 for the almond milk, mistake even though 15 grams of protein? What tricks did you use to get back on track? Thank you

Edited by ihartme

Over what period did you gain the 15 ish lbs.? Are you tracking your food and drinking your Water? Are you following your doctor's plan? 15 is significant enough that I would stop drinking again. Not so much for the empty calories in alcohol, but the mixers and accidental snacking that can go with it. Can you call your dietician?

HI Thank you. Yes, I can call them but I am embarrassed to because I was doing so well. I gained over the last 8 weeks. I do track food, definitely not drinking enough Water. The snacking after having a drink or 2 is true, especially at parties where there is a lot of it, I do not log those

Reading all current literature, it appears that your case is what typically happens about 50% of the time. There isn't a lot of data as to why, because everone is different, but logically it would seem many people go into "maintenance mode" (eating an amount to sustain current weight) long before they should. So first the weight stops coming off, then people slowly go above maintenance mode, and the weight starts creeping back up.

Alcohol is pure calories, and mixing a drink is double calories. A lot of people for example drink things like vodka and cranberry and think it is "low cal". Nothing could be further from the truth. Bar cranberry juice is like drinking raw sugar.

so might I recommend, stop drinking your calories, and then drop to 1000 cal total per day (like the diet you probably had which worked for you) and crush your weight back down over 2 months. Then watch your maintenance mode, to make sure it isn't to many cal's per day.

Best of luck !

27 minutes ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

Reading all current literature, it appears that your case is what typically happens about 50% of the time. There isn't a lot of data as to why, because everone is different, but logically it would seem many people go into "maintenance mode" (eating an amount to sustain current weight) long before they should. So first the weight stops coming off, then people slowly go above maintenance mode, and the weight starts creeping back up.

Alcohol is pure calories, and mixing a drink is double calories. A lot of people for example drink things like vodka and cranberry and think it is "low cal". Nothing could be further from the truth. Bar cranberry juice is like drinking raw sugar.

so might I recommend, stop drinking your calories, and then drop to 1000 cal total per day (like the diet you probably had which worked for you) and crush your weight back down over 2 months. Then watch your maintenance mode, to make sure it isn't to many cal's per day.

Best of luck !

Solid advice.

42 minutes ago, JessLess said:

Over what period did you gain the 15 ish lbs.? Are you tracking your food and drinking your Water? Are you following your doctor's plan? 15 is significant enough that I would stop drinking again. Not so much for the empty calories in alcohol, but the mixers and accidental snacking that can go with it. Can you call your dietician?

Great tips!

Thanks so much for your knowledge, If I drink it is always with a zero cal mixer but the Rum has calories so 2 drinks is over 200 cals. Not many more parties in this year so it will be easier to refrain. I know I need to drink more Water and good thinking on going back to the 1000 cals rather than 1200. I also need to exercise more consistently. Thanks again for your feedback

Definitely call your nutritionist. Don’t be embarrassed they deal with this issue all the time.
It would probably be a good idea to not drink your calories. People don’t think about the extra calories that go in there drinks with all the mixers that are added. You may also not be realizing how much snacking you are doing while “social drinking”. You are talking and listening and snacking without even thinking .

my councilor who I still see today had me write up a small poster to place on my fridge it says:

Thinking before you open this door:

Are you angry?

Are you thirsty.

Are you tired?

Are you upset?

if you answer yes to any of these questions don’t eat anything at that time. Walk away with a bottle of Water and think why you said yes.. Work through the problem.

it actual works. I’ve walked away from food so often after reading this poster.

1 hour ago, kimberlymi said:

my councilor who I still see today had me write up a small poster to place on my fridge it says:

Thinking before you open this door:

Are you angry?

Are you thirsty.

Are you tired?

Are you upset?

if you answer yes to any of these questions don’t eat anything at that time. Walk away with a bottle of Water and think why you said yes.. Work through the problem.

Gosh I love everyone's advice here! They are spot on!!!

I very much love this last one! It's called HALT! (Don't let yourself get too: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired!) Cuz it sets up a behavioral binge cascade potentially.

Honestly, they would (RDs, surgeons, therapists) would rather see you NOW with a 15lb regain than with a 50lb regain. This is SO do-able. Fifteen pounds is significant cause for concern! Go see them. Lay it all out there. Cop to the drinking. And if necessary, get help to stop. It's a legit worry.

Ditch the coffee drinks unless they are adding solid nutrition to the day: i.e. 1oz of Premier Protein in coffee x 3 drinks adds about 44cals to my day. It also adds 8 grams of Protein so that's a protein bargain for the cals. But they both contribute to my calorie and protein goals for the day. It's not "in addition to."

You can do this. You are wise to catch it now. Embarrassment is a wasted emotion. Use your energy to refan the flame.

Find and Fall BACK IN LOVE with your WHY! Recommit to it!!!

This is great advice, thank you. I have a call into my nutritionist, she is off until Monday. You are doing so well by your profile. congratulations!

I add GenoPro to my coffee with a little half and half. It had its controversies but my nutrition said it’s just fine. Very small scoop and it’s helped me reach my Protein goal. Just make sure to add up the calories mine is like 112 for the coffee/creamer/protein.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:42 AM, ihartme said:

I had Gastric Sleeve Surgery on March 5 2019. I had been doing great. Losing from 335 to 234, I am back up to 250 and scared, Has this happened to anyone? I did incorporate social drinking back into my diet. I just don't want old habits/ways of coping to sneak up on me. Also, I needed to increase my Protein so started drinking high Protein coffee in the morning but its about 100 calories plus 36 for the almond milk, mistake even though 15 grams of protein? What tricks did you use to get back on track? Thank you

I never drink but I was told by my Dr and nurses as well as a few women who worked at the hospital that nothing puts the weight on faster than alcohol. They were all like DO NOT DRINK. I think go back to your basic plan your dr gave you that worked so well, cut out all alcohol and severely limit carbs... IMHO

On 12/26/2019 at 9:58 AM, ihartme said:

HI Thank you. Yes, I can call them but I am embarrassed to because I was doing so well. I gained over the last 8 weeks. I do track food, definitely not drinking enough Water. The snacking after having a drink or 2 is true, especially at parties where there is a lot of it, I do not log those

Quit social drinking, I had to quit for a year to quit smoking many years ago. Alcohol makes anything seem possible including snacking. Just quit and go back to tracking food, 60 g Protein, and lots of Water. I put fresh lemon in mine. You know what you're doing wrong, you need to return to what you know is right.