Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice please. I’m going through the process with Rex Bariatric in Raleigh.

I’m being railroaded into getting a colonoscopy I don’t need by a practice that’s charging too much for it (hundreds of dollars more than other providers within my network). I had low Iron results and somehow the next damn step is a colonoscopy?

I asked if I could get this done someone place else and they said no. I’m going through this alone and don’t have anyone to fight for/with me.

I want to explore getting the bypass done overseas. This colonoscopy is going to delay things by several weeks and, even if it comes back negative, they told me they’re going to run a other test. This sounds like a cash cow situation because I have really good health I sure be.

1) does anyone living in Raleigh/dirham/chapel hill have a referral for a Bariatric center other than Rex?

2) Does anyone have great referral for someone in Mexico who can do this surgery by mid-late February?

Please be kind. Im 41, black, tired of life and the hope for this surgery is all I have left. I’m spending Christmas alone and I’m determined for this not to be the case next year. I’m going to drop the weight ASAP, get a new job (because people can look past my fat and see my skills/credentials) and I’ll find someone to love (or at least tolerate me) me. Thank you.

Who is Rex Bariatric in Raleigh and if you're going overseas for the surgery why do you need them?

If your Iron is low you have to find out why before surgery. Cuz these surgeries can be tough on iron status. So you need to be stable. If you of menstruating age that would or could explain it, but if not, then one of the most usual places for iron to escape is in the GI tract.

Any doc can order a colonoscopy. How bout your PCP?

Rex is the Bariatric center I paired with the go through the process. They would help me to meet insurance requirements, etc. I’m considering overseas because they’re dragging this process out.

My pcp ordered the colonoscopy. Because a few of my Iron results were in lower end of the Normal range.

Yes I’m (still) menstruating. Heavily. Always have for the last 30 years.

I just don’t understand how a colonoscopy is step 2. Let me try pills for six weeks Especially since that’s how long it’s going to take me to get exam anyways. Eat more meat. Let me trying taking birth control back to back (ie no placebos). .

I’m considering overseas because my out of pocket max would a little less than what surgery would cost with my insurance. I the colonoscopy would add $1300 to this and it’s a waste of money.

Don't they have a home colonoscopy kit now ? I beleive it can be order by your pcp and they are covered by insurance. Cologuard

Thanks for the info. I’ll ask about my Bariatric doctor about Colorguard and whether he’ll accept those results. I doubt the digestive health group (I met with today performing the colonoscopy) would as they seemed hell bent on their anal probe.

For the first half of my question, would it be best to search the message boards for doctors other have used in Mexico or in the Raleigh/Durham/chapel hill area?

Something isn’t right. They’ve immediately jumped to $3000 worth of procedures without even suggesting me to increase my Iron intake - first, a colonoscopy followed by a capsule endoscopy, if they don’t find anything through the colonoscopy. I feel like screaming.

Please, if anyone has advice on how to fight back I would appreciate it.

I would find a new doctor. None of that makes sense!! I had to get cardiac clearance with option of sleep study or pulmony clearance, and the psych exam, all of which is pretty standard.

Start taking Iron supps on your own, and try someone else!!

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the advice. I just feel so frustrated. I felt hope for the first time in years and a BS colonoscopy getting in the way felt deflating. Thank you!!

Colonoscopies can save your life, so I wouldn’t call it BS. They do need to find out why you have the low Iron count. I had to have an endoscopy for my sleeve, and the GI doctors suggested both at the same time. I’m glad I got it done and out of the way. With insurance it wasn’t that much.

I need advice please. I’m going through the process with Rex Bariatric in Raleigh.

I’m being railroaded into getting a colonoscopy I don’t need by a practice that’s charging too much for it (hundreds of dollars more than other providers within my network). I had low Iron results and somehow the next damn step is a colonoscopy?

I asked if I could get this done someone place else and they said no. I’m going through this alone and don’t have anyone to fight for/with me.

I want to explore getting the bypass done overseas. This colonoscopy is going to delay things by several weeks and, even if it comes back negative, they told me they’re going to run a other test. This sounds like a cash cow situation because I have really good health I sure be.

1) does anyone living in Raleigh/dirham/chapel hill have a referral for a Bariatric center other than Rex?

2) Does anyone have great referral for someone in Mexico who can do this surgery by mid-late February?

Please be kind. Im 41, black, tired of life and the hope for this surgery is all I have left. I’m spending Christmas alone and I’m determined for this not to be the case next year. I’m going to drop the weight ASAP, get a new job (because people can look past my fat and see my skills/credentials) and I’ll find someone to love (or at least tolerate me) me. Thank you.
Could be they are worried about you being too anemic. My husband had that for while. Doctor simply put it that if you have low Iron you either losing it or not making enough. Most common place to lose it is in the intestinal track. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using BariatricPal mobile app

On 12/29/2019 at 12:50 PM, TanyaCat said:

Colonoscopies can save your life, so I wouldn’t call it BS. They do need to find out why you have the low Iron count. I had to have an endoscopy for my sleeve, and the GI doctors suggested both at the same time. I’m glad I got it done and out of the way. With insurance it wasn’t that much.

TanyaKat, $1100 co-insurance for the procedure vs. the "let's-try-iron-supplements-for-6-weeks" is what I'm referring to as BS. I have to wait 6 weeks to take the procedure anyway, so why not try the pills first? The clinic just wants the insurance money and my co-pay.

I see a lot of people in WLS forums, social media, and blogs talk about their husbands, kids, grandkids - those are reasons to fight cancer, which I just don't have. For me, the results of a colonoscopy are irrelevant. Treatment is not an option. The quality of my life is more important than the number of years I live.

When I was younger, I hoped that if sought out God, became educated, helped people, and created an interesting life to share, then men might see past my looks and one might want to marry me. Now, I'm 41, black and educated - I have a better odds of becoming president - of Russia. :) This surgery, followed by some cosmetic work, is my only chance to turn things around. I refuse to allow a greedy clinic and irrelevant tests delay that process.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:50 AM, TanyaCat said:

Same here , they even put me under and removed a polyp. My Hematocrit and Hemoglobin took a big hit after surgery . Supprised they didn't test your poop for blood ( Hemocult test ) as that is standard uif you are under 50 yrs old. Best wishes.

I live in Canada where the average wait for bariatric surgery is two to three years. The first thing my surgeon ordered when I entered the program was bloodwork and a colonoscopy. He said he wanted to take a look at my stomach, make sure there were no hidden issues before we went to far.

Maybe your doctor is just careful and its not because of the Iron issue, its in addition to the iron issue?

I was worried about having the procedure as it sounded god awful but it was fine and I dont actually remember the procedure itself. They knocked me out. In hindsight Im glad he did it because now I know there are no ulcers or other problems waiting in the wings to get me. Lol