Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a month post opp and I barely want to eat. I’ll have a couple bites of fruit in the morning and that keeps me full all day. I know this isn’t healthy and I have my appointment with my surgeon in a couple of days, but I thought I’d get opinions or help from people who have also had the VSG. Sometimes the smell of food just makes me sick. The weird thing is that my body wants to throw up, but nothing comes out. My girlfriend has to force me to take a couple bites of food but I just hate eating now :( any advice ?

at first i could not eat at all thank goodness for Protein Shakes that is what i lived on and sugar free lifesavers ( had terrible cotton mouth ) and Water

I just hit 4 weeks since revision to bypass and barely able to eat either. Saw my dr yesterday and he said no problem. Concentrate on Protein and Fluid right now. Fine to get protein from shakes.

Edited by Losingit2018

3 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Roll with it. Just focus on Protein Shakes and your Water.

What she said.

I also had no appetite and had to force myself to get enough Protein and Water. I actually wasn't able to get to 60g protein for two months or so. Even in maintenance, my appetite hasn't fully returned.

most people lose their hunger sensation for a few months - and some up to a year - after surgery. Take full advantage of that because it'll never be easier to lose weight than it is right now! Once your hunger comes back (and it will for almost all of us), things will get A LOT harder.

that said, do be sure you're getting your nutrition. But beyond that, be grateful for this period of being food averse and not being hungry. In retrospect, I kinda wish my hunger had never come back!

I always liked Premier Protein since I had my sleeve done back in early 2018. I tried to drink it afterrevision and not only does it taste nasty, I can’t keep it down.

I am strictly using Syntrax Nectar mixed with fairlife milk now. chocolate Truffle tastes just like chocolate milk with zero Protein taste.

May the least go to the grocery store and get the fairlife milk to drink. It has 13 grams per 8 ounces. If you can get 4-5 cups per day in you can hit your protein goals. You could get Hershey’s Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup and make chocomilk if you like.

there are also several different clear Protein Drinks that may settle better with you. Protein 20 and premier makes some as well. Do your best to get the protein in as that is extremely important for healing.

Edited by Losingit2018

On 12/20/2019 at 19:52, Losingit2018 said:

I always liked Premier Protein since I had my sleeve done back in early 2018. I tried to drink it afterrevision and not only does it taste nasty, I can’t keep it down.

I am strictly using Syntrax Nectar mixed with fairlife milk now. chocolate Truffle tastes just like chocolate milk with zero Protein taste.

May the least go to the grocery store and get the fairlife milk to drink. It has 13 grams per 8 ounces. If you can get 4-5 cups per day in you can hit your Protein goals. You could get Hershey’s Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup and make chocomilk if you like.

there are also several different clear protein drinks that may settle better with you. Protein 20 and premier makes some as well. Do your best to get the protein in as that is extremely important for healing.

Thank you so much. I’ll definitely give that a try.

I'm fresh from RNY post op and I'm not very hungry either. On one hand, I'm happy that I'm not feeling like a bottomless pit all the time like I did preop. On the other hand, it makes it hard to consume calories. I can drink fluids (including water) just fine. It's just Protein that's difficult. Finally managed to reach 60 grams of protein for the first time today at 9 days post op.

Things I've been doing to get closer to my calorie and protein goals:

• Peanut Butter powder. Add it to a chocolate shake for an additional 50 calories and 5 grams protein
  • I haven't had Premier since surgery, but I've been having Unjury, Syntrax, and Fairlife shakes. Unjury makes a chicken Soup protein you might like. If you hate milky shakes, Syntrax has a lot of juice flavored ones that are popular.
  • Add unflavored protein to things. I don't get much of a taste from the Unjury unflavored protein when I add it to broth and Soups. I'm mostly doing it atm with broth, but I would also add it to your favorite Crystal Light or other non plain Water drinks if you can't drink protein waters (a la Premier or Protein2O).
  • sugar free popsicles. Hey, 15 calories is 15 calories. That's energy, and it counts towards total Fluid intake.
  • Can you drink milk? Just a glass of milk can help towards protein. Same with a high protein non dairy milk. It's better than no meal at all.

Like everyone else said, focus on hydration and protein.

2 hours ago, Sadieaniesa said:

Thank you so much. I’ll definitely give that a try.

Great! That fairlife milk can be a lifesaver. I do drink only it on days that my tummy doesn’t feel like dealing with anything else.

I do whatever it takes to get my Protein in.