Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alone After Hospital

Hello, First post...

I will be getting the gastric sleeve soon. I received approval finally from my insurance and now have an appt for all the preop details on Monday at my surgeon’s office.

I live alone and I don’t want to stay with anyone after the hospital. I wouldn’t even know who to ask. I think I have one night in the hospital and then come home. Did any of you stay home alone afterward? My only fear is that there will be an emergency or complication and I would not be lucid to help myself?

I know people who have been alone and have done fine. For the most part you will be very tired and just want to rest up, keep a phone nearby and ask a friend or neighbor to check in on you.

You’ll be fine, just shop and do laundry before you go in to the hospital

my husband took a week off of work but ended up going back after about two days. I was fine on my own - and probably would have been even right after coming home from the hospital.

My husband took a day or 2 off work to be with me, but I wouldn't have NEEDED him. I was fine taking care of myself.

If you are going to be alone, I recommend making some items ahead of time, like SF Jello. Jello was one of those soothing things for me and I didn't like having to mix it and wait for it to set up. If I had to do it all over again, I'd make 2 or 3 different flavors and have them in little 4 oz cups, ready for me.

I did it solo - Kids were away at college - Had not problems, I like above shop first get your liquids and all supplies, Although i was at a store 3 days post op - Forgot to buy broth. The head games will start so I cleaned the hell out of my house, DId the whole nesting thing. Was good to go 3 days and began the adventure -

You have your cell phone and 911 just in case, But one thing for sure being alone has its advantages, You can sleep and not here others rambling on.

Good luck and congrads - Plus you can post here if you get bored.

How exciting! I personally only needed assistance to get up from the couch the day I got home and the day after. Even the day after being home I would only have my mother be next to me to help me if I asked her or showed that I needed help but that’s because my couch is quite sunk in and even before surgery Kinda hard to get out of the corner spot which was where I also slept for a few days until I was able to go upstairs to my bed.

I still cannot believe they only give you one night... I was in major pain for 3 days after surgery hard to sleep had good drugs to sleep..

Rny

Thanks everyone!

I was discharged on a Friday afternoon so my husband was home with me Saturday and Sunday then had an Army obligation on Monday, I was totally fine. I just took it easy, walked around the block a few times and watched TV. It was way easier than I thought it was going to be. Then again, I recovered from this surgery VERY quickly so I might be the exception.

I'm planning on going it alone at hone. 2 of my neighbors know, one works at the hospital where I'm having my surgery. The first night at home my cousin will be there and I pray to be well, so I can send her home the next day. I like my space and alone time. I'm hoping sleep will be my companion. Everything will be prepared in advance, food prep., clean home, prescriptions filled, supplies stocked. I call in to get my January date tomorrow morning.