Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with Planning to Eat Something "Bad"

So I have followed my doc's plans incredibly closely, and MASSIVELY overhauled my eating habits. I generally eat clean, Protein first, no processed stuff (with the primary exception being protein shakes), and tonight we're going out to a place that has really good Reubens... my favorite food. I am planning to split one with my mother, who is also on a diet, but I am having a really hard time mentally doing this. I won't be having fries or any "naughty" sides (I doubt I'll get more than 1/3 of my sandwich half down, anyway, because of my sleeve size). I have more than enough calories to eat the entire sandwich, actually, but I still find myself wanting to not eat all day to "make up" for eating a "bad" food later.

Does anyone else have this mental struggle? I'm a year out now, and beginning a slow transition to a wider food base, still looking to lose 10-15 vanity pounds. I'm just not really sure how to manage these thoughts and this visceral feeling of needing to restrict my food intake early in the day because I'm doing something "bad" later.

get the sandwich without the bread or the bread and sauce on the side, and then take a bite or two of the bread.. in essence you will have had the "bad" food in a good way.. I always try to be creative when i want something "bad" i never plan or change my eating habits for it though, just limit and change it up so you have the same great concept but in a manner that is good for you. Just a thought

Only 6 months in but i have cleared the head games! use lettuce vs bread is what i do

2 hours ago, KT1981 said:

So I have followed my doc's plans incredibly closely, and MASSIVELY overhauled my eating habits. I generally eat clean, Protein first, no processed stuff (with the primary exception being Protein shakes), and tonight we're going out to a place that has really good Reubens... my favorite food. I am planning to split one with my mother, who is also on a diet, but I am having a really hard time mentally doing this. I won't be having fries or any "naughty" sides (I doubt I'll get more than 1/3 of my sandwich half down, anyway, because of my sleeve size). I have more than enough calories to eat the entire sandwich, actually, but I still find myself wanting to not eat all day to "make up" for eating a "bad" food later.

Does anyone else have this mental struggle? I'm a year out now, and beginning a slow transition to a wider food base, still looking to lose 10-15 vanity pounds. I'm just not really sure how to manage these thoughts and this visceral feeling of needing to restrict my food intake early in the day because I'm doing something "bad" later.

I think some of what you're going through is a natural part of this process.

I also think thin people have been unconsciously doing this their entire lives. This was a fascinating documentary on the habits of naturally thin people. I think I watched it on Youtube or Netflix.

I don't know if this is the right trailer. The show is actually, HORIZON: Why Are Thin People Not Fat?

I don't see it as eating something bad. I see it as a choice to eat a high calorie dense food. The important thing is to make it a choice. It's not a slip, it's not a mistake, it's a choice. Log it into your daily food log.

I'm a year and a half out, Sunday my wife wanted a Turkey Club Sub. We shared a foot long 1050 calories for the whole thing. I had them cut mine in half, and wrap the 2nd piece. I ate my 3 inch sub leaving most of the bread. The next day I took my other 3 in sub and cut it in half. i enjoyed the first part for Breakfast and the other for lunch. I had 1/8 cup of potato salad with each piece, again leaving most of the bread at the end. Enjoyed a good sub multiple times and stayed within calorie range.

Enjoy the Reuben! 👍

You are planning your food! That is not bad! As soon as you get the sandwich cut it in 4ths. Wrap up 1/4 to take home and then enjoy every single bite of the other 1/4. Eat it slowly and savor every single wonderful flavor - even the rye bread! See this as a liberating experience and a sign of how far you have come. What a difference from gobbling the whole thing to slowly savoring 1/4th! This is what eating should be about - enjoying the "normal" portion and eating with "normal" control. It is a victory!!!!!

I am like this too. Eat the bread for gods sakes though! If you are going to plan a splurge do it right and enjoy it. Having a favorite food on occasion keeps me sane.

I like the comments above referring to the fact that you are making a mindful choice and planning ahead to figure out how to offset the increased calories. Don't consider it that you are eating something bad. It's just part of daily life now, to make choices. I know that if I deprive myself then it just makes me angry and then I struggle with going overboard on eating unhealthy. So, good for you on making conscious choices!