Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-OP Diet Curiosity



Recommended Posts

Curious as to what foods you are allowed to eat right after surgery. I will only be allowed Water, sugarfree sports drinks, sugarfree ice tea, broth, sugar free ice pops (only 1 a day) and sugar free Jello. I have to do this for 2 weeks. 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup. because i dont eat anything with artificial colors or sweeteners, i stuck with Bone Broth and Protein Shakes, and of course Water and herbal teas, two weeks is only a blip in the whole scope of your new life,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While your stomach is healing you won't want to put anything else in it. The warm liquids were soothing to me during that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

yup. because i dont eat anything with artificial colors or sweeteners, i stuck with Bone Broth and Protein Shakes, and of course Water and herbal teas, two weeks is only a blip in the whole scope of your new life,

Very true. The entire process has just been so long I just want it to be over. Lol. Thank you for the response 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Colorado Cowgirl said:

While your stomach is healing you won't want to put anything else in it. The warm liquids were soothing to me during that time.

Makes complete sense😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I agree you won't even want to eat anything else. I couldn't even eat Jello or popsicles they felt like sugary hell to me. I never had that problem before nor do I now. Everything was just off the first week or two. GOOD LUCK!!! ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, april042019 said:

^ I agree you won't even want to eat anything else. I couldn't even eat Jello or popsicles they felt like sugary hell to me. I never had that problem before nor do I now. Everything was just off the first week or two. GOOD LUCK!!! ❤️

Well I bought everything I "could" eat on my list. Lol. Thought I might just like a variety. The last place I want to go after surgery is the supermarket. Lol. So it's all there just a matter of what I can handle. Thank you for the well wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good luck to you. You won't believe how fast the time goes after surgery. You will feel like a new person in a short period of time. FYI I thought everything was too sweet for a few weeks after surgery and my sense of smell was crazy. I bought some disposable travel coffee cups with lids and put my Protein Drinks in them for the first couple weeks. It really helped and the small opening kept me from drinking too fast. Just be sure you are always sipping something to stay hydrated. You can also freeze them in popsicle holders if you have trouble drinking them. Seemed like they were easier to get down super cold. Do have some warm tea or broth on hand. it's a nice change and makes you feel like you are getting a variety. Hope you don't have these taste/smell issues but if you do I hope this helps.

Edited by PazzaJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PazzaJ said:

Good luck to you. You won't believe how fast the time goes after surgery. You will feel like a new person in a short period of time. FYI I thought everything was too sweet for a few weeks after surgery and my sense of smell was crazy. I bought some disposable travel coffee cups with lids and put my Protein Drinks in them for the first couple weeks. It really helped and the small opening kept me from drinking too fast. Just be sure you are always sipping something to stay hydrated. You can also freeze them in popsicle holders if you have trouble drinking them. Seemed like they were easier to get down super cold. Do have some warm tea or broth on hand. it's a nice change and makes you feel like you are getting a variety. Hope you don't have these taste/smell issues but if you do I hope this helps.

Thank you for the well wishes. That's such a great idea with the disposable coffee cups I think I'm going to steal it. Lol. Yes I bought everything I need including broth & tea. Everyone seems to go through something but at the same time all different. I'm so excited Monday cant come fast enough😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every doctor's diet is different. I had Clear Liquids for a week, I also didn't drink artificial sweeteners. Full liquids for two weeks, I did cream of chicken Soup with Protein drinks. I used Ensure Max as it has 30 g. of protein. Then 3 weeks of soft foods. I actually stayed on it for about 6 weeks as I just wasn't all that hungry. Protein Drink for Breakfast. 2.5 oz of tuna with olive oil and Italian seasonings and cottage cheese. Outshine pop cycles with no sugar added for treats starting week 2. I absolutely love them. I have added other meats for tuna, eating very slow with the children's flatware I bought from Amazon. They are stainless and they make you eat small bites. Drink lots of Water and 60 g of protein. If it doesn't have protein it doesn't find its way on my plate. I also weigh my meat and never put more than 3 oz on my small plate, so it looks a lot. I usually don't eat more than 2oz. I found out that you get a lot of chicken, but a bit of a burger. Some meats are denser than others. Good luck and remember it is a journey with lots of stalls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sandra Nuelken said:

Every doctor's diet is different. I had Clear Liquids for a week, I also didn't drink artificial sweeteners. Full liquids for two weeks, I did cream of chicken Soup with Protein Drinks. I used Ensure Max as it has 30 g. of Protein. Then 3 weeks of soft foods. I actually stayed on it for about 6 weeks as I just wasn't all that hungry. Protein Drink for Breakfast. 2.5 oz of tuna with olive oil and Italian seasonings and cottage cheese. Outshine pop cycles with no sugar added for treats starting week 2. I absolutely love them. I have added other meats for tuna, eating very slow with the children's flatware I bought from Amazon. They are stainless and they make you eat small bites. Drink lots of Water and 60 g of Protein. If it doesn't have protein it doesn't find its way on my plate. I also weigh my meat and never put more than 3 oz on my small plate, so it looks a lot. I usually don't eat more than 2oz. I found out that you get a lot of chicken, but a bit of a burger. Some meats are denser than others. Good luck and remember it is a journey with lots

Thank you for your well wishes and all the good information. My surgery is on Monday I can't wait.🙏🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pure Protein tropical fruit punch clear Water was amazing and the best clear liquid I have ever had. I had my original gastric bypass in 2013 along with a hiatel hernia repair And sept 19th I had to go in and have another hiatel hernia repair with a partial gastrectomy . They put me on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks and I remembered the first time around with this and thankfully there has been so many more tasteful products out there to stay clear but get the protein in . I also use Unjury unflavored protein in my orange juice .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, mamafine23 said:

Pure Protein tropical fruit punch clear Water was amazing and the best clear liquid I have ever had. I had my original gastric bypass in 2013 along with a hiatel hernia repair And sept 19th I had to go in and have another hiatel hernia repair with a partial gastrectomy . They put me on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks and I remembered the first time around with this and thankfully there has been so many more tasteful products out there to stay clear but get the Protein in . I also use Unjury unflavored protein in my orange juice .

Thank you for your response and the great ideas so I can switch things up a bit😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2019 at 9:12 AM, Sandra Nuelken said:

Every doctor's diet is different. I had Clear Liquids for a week, I also didn't drink artificial sweeteners. Full liquids for two weeks, I did cream of chicken Soup with Protein Drinks. I used Ensure Max as it has 30 g. of Protein. Then 3 weeks of soft foods. I actually stayed on it for about 6 weeks as I just wasn't all that hungry. Protein Drink for Breakfast. 2.5 oz of tuna with olive oil and Italian seasonings and cottage cheese. Outshine pop cycles with no sugar added for treats starting week 2. I absolutely love them. I have added other meats for tuna, eating very slow with the children's flatware I bought from Amazon. They are stainless and they make you eat small bites. Drink lots of Water and 60 g of Protein. If it doesn't have protein it doesn't find its way on my plate. I also weigh my meat and never put more than 3 oz on my small plate, so it looks a lot. I usually don't eat more than 2oz. I found out that you get a lot of chicken, but a bit of a burger. Some meats are denser than others. Good luck and remember it is a journey with lots of stalls.

Hello, I had my sleeve done on 09/25...and I am dying to eat real food! When were you told that you could eat regular food?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • SabrinaGoddess

      Hospital - PAID
      Doctor - PAID
      Surgical Assistant - PAID
      Anesthesia Tech - PAID
      Plane Ticket - BOOKED
      Hotel Room - BOOKED
      Vitamins - ORDERED
      Stocking for Post Op - STARTED
      Dec 9th - here I come!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GainingChelsea

      Currently waiting on a surgery date. Hope to hear soon. I have been fighting for the sleeve surgery for 10 years. I am so ready!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      How can a bowel movement make me lose almost 4 pounds? How much poo am I full of?
      · 3 replies
      1. lvidacovich

        I haven't pooped in a weed and I'd love a 4 pound poo right now lol

      2. ms.sss

        Lol, yeah, I've been known to drop 3-ish lbs after a good (and long awaited) poop.

        .....or even after a moderate to severe dumping episode. yikes.

      3. FluffyChix

        Those are championship cups for both you guys! :) I personally came up a 1.4lb winner this morning. ;) hehehehe.

    • *Meaghan*

      I met with my surgeon on Friday.. I've completed all my tests and all my nutrition meetings as well as meeting the weight loss requirements for my insurance. We are officially submitting to insurance for approval and I was given a surgery date of January 16th 2020 (13 days before my birthday!) Fingers crossed all goes through 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Ok, now im getting old...my body gets me up at my normal 5am dog walk even when it's the weekend, vacation, and most importantly when I'm sick. So now that I have more energy, my body wants to make sure I suffer even longer during the day when I have a cold! Damn being healthy again! (:D)
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×