Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years out and weight gain.

Hello all, I have a lot to say/ ask so I hope someone out there is reading.

For some background knowledge, pre surgery I weighed 225 pounds. In the last year and a half I maintained a weight of 152-157 I never reached above 160. I recently had a big move, new job, leaving my boyfriend, and a medical issue. I. H.a.v.e gained around 22 pounds in 2 months. I. H.a.v.e all of this self hate. I can’t look at myself because I pick myself apart, I notice a line in my neck and get nervous it’s a fat roll forming, I notice a double chin. I notice it all and it’s the most miserable I have ever been. I can’t fit in my clothes, I cry daily and try to avoid planning outings because I can’t stand my self appearance anymore, where as 3

months prior I loved myself and how I looked.

I weigh about 172 as of today. I think one of the biggest things I. H.a.v.e noticed is that I had very little maintenance diet guidance.

so I am coming to all of you for answers. In the beginning stages of our diet they say we should not be able to eat more than 8 ounces at a time.

now that I’m 2 years out I guess my question is: how do you no how much to eat, how many ounces should you be eating each meal and how many ounces of each food group per meal? They say to eat your Protein first then veggies, then starch.... if you were to make a dinner meal for yourself: how many ounces of each would you make.

I cant let myself become the person I used to be, I need to get back on track.

I don't think this is going to be a very popular insight on here, but I could never have lost weight if I didn't accept myself when I was fat too.

Are there things that made you successful before that you have stopped doing?

And as for meal planning, for lunch and dinner, I shoot for 4-5 ounces of Protein, chicken, fish, steak, etc. and about half a cup of vegetables. I don't include a starch unless it's something I really want or a special treat.

Good luck!

I think JessLess is on to something here. I think you need to work on your feelings of self-rejection. So, you fell off the wagon. Sounds like you had some significant life issues that may have contributed. Examine what you did to get there, reorganize, and move on. Get back to basics and consider seeking counseling.

As for a "maintenance" diet. I have always maintained the basic rules of my bariatric diet for long term. And to quote a regular BariatricPal contributor (sorry, fluffy. I stole this from you):

backontracktips.JPG.5eb5fa1f3c50718f9f25eff56cc71ba0.JPG

I switched over to mostly calorie-counting when I hit maintenance (I can maintain as long as I stay in the 1500-1700 calorie range - your range may be more or less than that - you have to experiment to find your "sweet spot"). I still mostly follow the post-op rules, though - I make sure I get enough Protein, eat protein first, then veggies, etc. I do eat more carbs than I did while in weight loss mode, though - but the healthy kind.

you'll just have to figure out what "works" for you (some people join Weight Watchers, some do modified Keto, some people use intermittent fasting) while being sure you're meeting the protein requirements and remembering the order (protein first, then non-starchy veggies)

also, I continue to log my food intake at 4+ years out. I think it's vital.

I love all of this advice!

I'm about 20months out and I can assure you that even without crappy life situations, I can gain weight with a blink of an eye. Maintenance for me is more of a dance around losing the same 5 lbs over and over and over again each week. LOL. The scale determines how abstemious I am for the day. If I'm at the low end of my weight zone, then I will have Protein first, then al dente veggies + a tiny bit of healthy fat + some fruit or an after dinner snack of <100cals and very low carb super healthy or healthy-ish. If I'm at the high end of my 5lb zone, then it's back to my forever bariatric diet: protein first, al dente veg + a tiny bit of healthy fat.

I keep things KISS for about 90% of my meals. That means, no fancy indulgent cooking. It's lean dense protein. It's steamed or roasted veg. It's a tiny bit of avocado and Tomato with the meal. I aim for 1 cup of food by volume. I weigh my food into the cup. So for me that is 3oz of lean dense protein by weight + 1-2oz of steamed veg + 1tsp of healthy fat or 1oz of avocado (slider) + 1oz of grape tomatoes (slider).

I will eat up to 1 1/2 cups of raw salad at a sitting. Made up on leafy greens + cucs + red bell pepper + purple onion + radish + a zero calorie dressing + 2 oz meat + 1 oz cheese or hb egg + 6g seeds or nuts (and that's 1 1/2cups total volume for the meal including salad). It shouldn't be more than 200cals in that salad. So don't slam with croutons and crap that tastes great but makes it as caloric as a full casserole meal.

Only eat at organized times: 3 meals or 3meals + 1-2 small healthy Snacks of 1oz protein.

You can lose the regain. You need to work on your head. I'd seek a counselor who can help you with the self-hatred and depression you are fighting.

Clean your kitchen out and rid it of ALL junk. Plan your meals. Log everything! Weigh and measure everything!!!! Don't exceed 1 cup of food at any meal.

Drink your water! 100oz per day.

For me to lose weight, I have to be at the 650-750 calorie level and <30g net carbs per day. The end. Otherwise it's just magical thinking for me. I have to FOCUS to lose. If I can do it. You can do it.

I'm in maintenance at 900-1000 cals/day.

Thank you all for these tips. I found through my weight loss I became very obsessive and would be self conscious anytime I ate something I wasn’t suppose to : which is good and bad, good bc I’m aware, bad because I beat myself up over it. The weight gain was fast and unexpected. I started today my do over diet, I didn’t realize how off track I. W.a.s because I found myself lost at what to pack for lunch. I appreciate all your support, I forget that this is a life long journey not just a quick fix and I really do need to work at it. I’m happy you guys responded to me and helped. Thanks so much.