Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Seminar

I'm new here and new to the wls world lol. I have wanted bariatric surgery for as long as I can remember but was never a possibility because of the cost. Earlier this year I found out that it's covered by my health insurance so I decided to research it and have made the decision to start the process! This coming Thursday (the 26th) I'm going to the weight loss seminar that's mandatory for the program and am so excited! They gave me a huge packet of paperwork to turn in at the seminar. My question to any of you that have gone to a similar seminar is about how long after the seminar did the ball actually start rolling for the process? I have heard that we have to do an 8 week weight management class as part of the insurance requirement. Any advice or suggestions you can offer would be sooo helpful!!! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

43 minutes ago, andis654 said:

I'm new here and new to the wls world lol. I have wanted bariatric surgery for as long as I can remember but was never a possibility because of the cost. Earlier this year I found out that it's covered by my health insurance so I decided to research it and have made the decision to start the process! This coming Thursday (the 26th) I'm going to the weight loss seminar that's mandatory for the program and am so excited! They gave me a huge packet of paperwork to turn in at the seminar. My question to any of you that have gone to a similar seminar is about how long after the seminar did the ball actually start rolling for the process? I have heard that we have to do an 8 week weight management class as part of the insurance requirement. Any advice or suggestions you can offer would be sooo helpful!!! Thanks in advance!

I went to the surgeon first (which is rare), but I already knew who I wanted. I went to the seminar after going to see him, just because I wanted to be even more informed. It lasted about an hour. It's usually general statistics and may even sway you to consider a surgery you may not have been considering. I stayed for the support group and it was good to hear everyone's triumphs and struggles. I highly suggest going to the support groups, if they are offered. You can learn so much, make potential friends and everyone understands what you're going through.

Best wishes!

I think it may depend on insurance and your doctor's requirements. I wasn't required to attend a seminar, however, my doctor does host a monthly seminar and I attended by choice. I was only required to be on a doctor's supervised diet for 6 months and to see a nutritionist twice and a psych doctor once. I also had to have clearance from my primary. Good luck to you!! [emoji4]

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 233
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

Like Cheryl, I saw a surgeon first. They have an online seminar. With my insurance, I have to fulfill three months of visits before going under the knife, a psych evaluation, see a dietitian, and give them 5 years of Drs notes that we talked about my weight. I only have two more visits to do before my surgery.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow, you guys in the states have to do so much! I guess it is because you do it via your insurance and they want to know you will be using 'their' money wisely/well informed.

I'm in the UK, I went and saw the surgeon, spoke about which procedure I wanted and that was it, booked in. Saw the nurse and dietician for bloods/pre and post-op diet info, respectively then surgery. Only did 2 weeks pre-op shakes.

Anyway good luck on your journey :D

The entry point for me was to attend an informational seminar. Then make an appt with the surgeon. My insurance required 6 months of dietary supervision by my PCP. Meanwhile, I was required to have an endoscopy, cardiac clearance, a psych eval, lab draw, and nutritional consult. Ended up getting a sleep study as well, which determined that I had severe sleep apnea and this increased my co-morbidity risk factor. The week before surgery, there was another required seminar by the hospital to inform of the surgical and recovery processes.

Then surgery, post op followup at 2 weeks, I think. Then 2, 4, 6, 8, 12 months. Then every year for 5 years. Labs done at 6 months, 12 months, and yearly.

Hello andis654, I attended my 1st seminar and it was awesome, she went around the room having us introducing ourselves and if we had a surgery date to state that, we had a couple of people there that already had the surgery there. One was 2wks out the other a year out! I left feeling great and knowing I'm making the right decision. She then discussed food choices as well! I think you will enjoy it! My insurance required 6 dietitian visits and 1 psych visit. I have had all visits but 1 dietitian visit and my surgery is set for Dec. 30th.

Hello andis654, I attended my 1st seminar and it was awesome, she went around the room having us introducing ourselves and if we had a surgery date to state that, we had a couple of people there that already had the surgery there. One was 2wks out the other a year out! I left feeling great and knowing I'm making the right decision. She then discussed food choices as well! I think you will enjoy it! My insurance required 6 dietitian visits and 1 psych visit. I have had all visits but 1 dietitian visit and my surgery is set for Dec. 30th.

That's so great!! Thank you for sharing...I have a coworker who's gone through our program but I feel like I'm constantly bothering her lol so I appreciate everyone's comments on here! Congratulations on your surgery date!!! That's so exciting!! Yay!!!!!