Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op, ugh

I am now one week post op and pretty miserable still. My surgery was 9/16 and I was in the hospital until 9/20. The surgery had a complication of my gallbladder had started to disintegrate so they took that as well as my entire stomach. I was so inflamed I could hardly move. By Wednesday they had to send me down for several tests because I couldn't draw a deep breath and was actually gasping for air, my torso felt so tight. So I had a swallow test, a chest Xray and then finally a CT of my chest and abdomen. Then to get me out of bed more they threatened me with a broncos copy. I did eventually improve and was able to leave on the 20th weighing 15 pounds more than the day of surgery! I have lost about 9 pounds of it so far and just spoke to the Surgeons office and they agreed it was Fluid, probably due to all the things they did during surgery. I do feel better everyday, but it is slow going. I realize this is going to be a tough road, but worth every step in the end to be well ad healthy. Thanks for listening!

P.S. My first weight lost surgery was not a sleeve as I had thought but a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, which they stopped doing because of complications. My surgeon was surprised when he got in there!

You seem tough! - and I really hope it goes better, So far this was the best decision i ever did and I had a rough time also, No where near like you but was a tough few weeks! Almost back to normal 2 months after so hang in there and look ahead.

Beats dying of a overweight disease, This is my view! Already did the trip thru the cardiac ward - Kinda done with that stuff and looking forward to the future

Hang in there! The first couple weeks are rough, but each day gets a little better. I am 19 days out. Don't hurt most days, but then I do something and the main incision site hurts bad. Rest and it goes away. I think I am having more back pain from protecting my abdomen than anything else. And my energy level still stinks, but steadily improving. Keep working to improve your Fluid intake and moving around.

@Lynda486 oh sorry you have had such a rough time.

I had issues too and was in the hospital for 2 weeks ended up having 2 surgeries 1 failed dilation. Like you, I have ended up with no stomach too.

Recovery has been slow but each day does get a little easier. I forced myself to walk around the house every couple of hours and rest in between. The first 2 weeks I still had to take regular pain killers and anti-emetics (I was on 4 types!). But I am now 4 weeks out and on one anti-emetic/day and just my normal pre-op meds for my back. No abdo pain now, just low-level nausea which obviously the anti-emetics help with.

You will get there lovely, it just takes time, your body has been through a lot so give it time to recover, at least 6 weeks for all the internal stuff to heal properly so only push yourself to do low-level stuff like walking regularly around the house or up the street and back if you feel well enough.

Early days still for you! :780_sparkling_heart:

Compared to you, I had it easy! I noticed a some changes yesterday and if I can see small changes each day it gives e hope. I know I will get there, thank-you for the reminder!

3 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

Compared to you, I had it easy! I noticed a some changes yesterday and if I can see small changes each day it gives e hope. I know I will get there, thank-you for the reminder!

Sometimes hard to see the daily improvements when you are feeling really awful tho. Each day is a bit like 1 step forward 2 back, until we finally get to just going forward.

I was talking to my mum last night saying I had no idea I would feel so ill afterwards and she was like 'why on earth would you not after 2 major surgeries!!?' She is an itu nurse and is a bit hardcore, so if she is telling me to give myself time to recover then I can say the same to you LOL

Take it easy, one day at a time. I know lots on here recover super fast, but we are all different and some of us had complicated surgery so of course, we will be slower to get over it :)