Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery almost four weeks ago, and I was doing okay for the first three weeks. Now, in the fourth week, I’ve suddenly lost my sense of taste and everything grosses me out. The idea of putting anything not milk or Water into my mouth makes me want to throw up, including my meds and Vitamins. I feel awful, I have no stamina for even the simplest of tasks, I can’t stand up long enough to cook or shower properly. Is any of this normal? I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made a very big mistake.

The loss of taste isn't abnormal as our tastes sometimes change post-WLS but your weakness and inability to stand long enough to shower or cook sounds troublesome. You might want to give your surgeon a call.

the loss of taste is something i would call your doctor about.

As for everything else.

1. get your Water in - lets be real here none of us would starve to death very quickly we all have or had 10's of thousands of stored calories called fat. That no energy crash you are going thru, could be your body is not making the switch from Carb burn to Fat burn very smoothly or quickly. The longer your were overweight and the more you used to graze eat the harder it is for your system to get back to a normal that you do not even remember.

So first call doc about sense of taste.

keep getting all your water - dehydration is very bad

eat what you can and not a bit more and don't raise your stress level over it.

The mental aspect of post surgery is so much more important than some believe.

Try any and everything to Relax - High stress levels will slow or stop your progress.

First call your doctor when they open this morning if you haven't already.

Good luck and keep posting your progress. we all learn from each others journey

I agree with GradyCat - the loss of taste/appetite the first few months isn't abnormal, but the weakness/inability to stand four weeks out IS. I'd call your surgeon.

My first thought is "dehydration". Loss of interest in eating or drinking is a sign of dehydration. That combined with your fatigue/weakness, I'd say you might be dehydrated. Make sure you're meeting your liquid intake goals.

I agree with the others, though. Let your doctor know.

23 hours ago, janelanetudor said:

I had my surgery almost four weeks ago, and I was doing okay for the first three weeks. Now, in the fourth week, I’ve suddenly lost my sense of taste and everything grosses me out. The idea of putting anything not milk or Water into my mouth makes me want to throw up, including my meds and Vitamins. I feel awful, I have no stamina for even the simplest of tasks, I can’t stand up long enough to cook or shower properly. Is any of this normal? I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made a very big mistake.

You are too deeply into ketosis when this happens. It's called "SNAT" or semi nauseous all the time. You can have a drink with a few carbs in it, or eat something higher in carb. A great way to do this is to have a cream Soup with some veggies blended in it. Like even Tomato Soup, or butternut squash or pumpkin soup. Or even a little baked potato soup. It will bring you up out of your deep level and get your food issue over.

BUT I personally would just make sure that somehow some way I was meeting my Protein goal. Put your Protein Drink in black coffee so it's just creamy and not very sweet. Make sure you are getting in ALL of your fluids. And go on with life. It's a phase that will soon end as soon as you really progress your diet more and are eating a bit more.

Deep Deep in ketosis = mostly protein and a little fat and very low carb = SNAT