Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone my name is Nancy, I am scheduled for my Gastric Sleeve surgery on July 24th I weight about 312 pounds, I start my shake diet on Wednesday 07/10/2019 what is something that i should expect & what are some tips you would recommend?

Always remember the end goal! My surgery is 7/9 so I’m finishing up my pre-op diet. The first few days were hard, I had cravings, I missed eating what I wanted, my body revolted on the third day with the increase in Protein and all the liquid...by day 5 I thought I had this on the bag. I cheated on day six 😢. But found this forum and found that I wasn’t alone in the struggle. Had my Pre-op appt with Dr on day 7 and left there feeling empowered. Be ready for the inner struggle but be strong. You can do this!

Try out the different flavors and types of Protein Shakes. I find that for busy days I like the ready to drink types—easy to grab while you’re on the go.

Good luck and prayers for a safe recovery!

Please be prepared for the mental and emotion battle that could happen after surgery. Research and research more. Best of luck to you.

the pre-op diet, in my opinion, was the worst part of the whole process. You'll just have to white knuckle it. It does get better after the first two or three days when your body goes into ketosis. I remember eating sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello with abandon since they were the only things that somewhat resembled real food. We're talking like making a batch of Jello and eating half of it in one sitting!

I'm startinginfo my two week liquid diet this morning. Decalf coffee not so bad,. I tried Muscle Milk with 40 grams of Protein. Not sure if I like the thickness of it. I will try it again though. I'm a little nervous with this being my first day on the liquid diet..... But I am ready and committed to this journey. I could use a few prayers. First of 14 days and on my way. Surgery on July 22nd.

It sucks plain and simple. Embrace the suck. Think of food as little as possible. Break up with cooking shows and close your eyes during commercials/mute the TV. Get active. Do things during meal time such as walk, exercise, work a puzzle, color, do paint by numbers.

But once you pass the half way point, in my opinion it gets easier. Oh and any cheat, will set you back to almost Day 1 on the cravings. So don't cheat. Get the lowest carb/low to no sugar Protein Drinks that you can get and follow your RDs schedule for drinking them and your broth/jello/popsicle combos.

Try different types of protien drinks. Isopure has a lemonade and fruit punch protien drinks that I really like. They are a great alternative to the thicker milky shakes. And Unjury has some good protien Soup mixes also. They are good to get some savory flavors in.

Hang in there.

I wish you the best.

Hello!! Another Nancy here! My surgery is 2 days before yours... July 22. Right now I'm 288 pounds. My surgeon doesn't have a strict 2 week liquid pre-op diet. He instructed me to cut out carbs - no bread, Pasta, rice, etc. (You know, the GOOD stuff! LOL!)

That being said, I'm doing mostly liquids anyway - just to get used to it. I have a collection of Protein Drinks - ranging from Premier Protein (available at Walgreens, CVS, etc) and Protein sample packs I purchased here at the Bariatric Pal Store.
For inspiration, encouragement & tips, check out some of the YouTube videos by fellow sleevers. Some are REALLY good! One, Kimberly H, has her own channel as well as videos she does for Bariatric Pal. There are others, some funny, some boring... just try them out. Just search for VGS, Bariatric Sleeve, etc.

WE GOT THIS!!!

Hello!! Another Nancy here! My surgery is 2 days before yours... July 22. Right now I'm 288 pounds. My surgeon doesn't have a strict 2 week liquid pre-op diet. He instructed me to cut out carbs - no bread, Pasta, rice, etc. (You know, the GOOD stuff! LOL!)
That being said, I'm doing mostly liquids anyway - just to get used to it. I have a collection of Protein Drinks - ranging from Premier Protein (available at Walgreens, CVS, etc) and Protein sample packs I purchased here at the Bariatric Pal Store.
For inspiration, encouragement & tips, check out some of the YouTube videos by fellow sleevers. Some are REALLY good! One, Kimberly H, has her own channel as well as videos she does for Bariatric Pal. There are others, some funny, some boring... just try them out. Just search for VGS, Bariatric Sleeve, etc.
WE GOT THIS!!!

I'm July 22 also. I just started my pre op diet today. Its really not that bad. What's bad is I have a wisdom tooth that needs to come out, I was hoping to wait after surgery but the headache pain is unbearable. Do you think having a tooth pulled this close to surgery is a bad idea?

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’d check with your doctor & dentist. Sometimes it might seem like one thing has nothing to do with the other. It’s better to be sure. Good Luck!