Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New member introduction

Hello, Everyone. I'm completely new here (haven't even been trolling)!

My surgery date is on Tuesday, June 25th. And, the path to get to surgery was relatively short. Years ago I had a lap band that we were never able to properly inflate because my system was so sensitive. So, it just stayed there, restricting a tad bit, being annoying--sort of like a surly underachieving teenager, capable of brilliant outcomes but totally lazing about. Like many, I've pulled weight off and gained weight again--for years. 50lbs here. 30lbs there. For a good while, I was quite healthy after one of those interludes and I hold that memory close and strongly.

The decisions to again undergo weight loss surgery was precipitated by my sense that I was on a road that led to poor health outcomes no matter how I looked at them--blood pressure increasing to "normal" although my blood pressure is typically very low, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, pre-diabetes. So, I decided to nip things in the bud, get my health back, and take charge. So...that's why I am here.

I don't tend to be a big group person. In fact, I'm something of a loner. But, in considering how my psychological, emotional, and tactical behaviors over the years have informed my weight and health, I thought: you'd better try something different, woman. And, there are a LOT of people in the world who know much more than you. Being in community with them would seem like the smart thing to do, which is why I'm here. I look forward to learning from you all. And, I appreciate you all.

Warm Wishes,
Cris

Edited by cris20495

Good luck on your WLS journey

Welcome to the group! There's a lot of great people here to help you along your weight loss journey. Good luck with your surgery 😊

Hi all, I am new also. I did not come to this decision lightly but finally get that it’s my best hope at a second chance to do things right. I have many complicated health issues and although I am not expecting a cure all, I am hoping for a longer, better living lifestyle. I will be having a sleeve, no surgery date yet as I had not made a decision when I left the consult. This, for me, is a medically necessary procedure so I have to approach things a little differently. I joined a FB support group which helped inspire me and my decision. I also have great support from family and friends behind me. I wish everyone the best on their journey and hope that I can contribute in some way and do not appear needy. Thank you!

I too am a former lap band patient, was successful for a while then it started to fail, slip, not sure what. I'm waiting for insurance approval and I've gone through all of the steps. Welcome to the group. The journey sounds similar to the band, but recovery is a bit longer. Keep in touch!

Welcome, newbies! Good luck.

Use the search field to find information, there is an abundance. Take our opinions as such, there are variations. But one predominant theme is that you need to use the honeymoon period and your tool to its fullest extent early on.... don't try to find ways 'around' the tool. Go on youtube and look up Dr Weiner, Dr. Duc Vuong and other successful wls patients. Read and read more. Get therapy for disordered eating if you can - we all have a degree of it - the surgery is a physical tool and it will get you far - but your brain and your reptilian brain are far more powerful than surgery.

1 hour ago, Deegirl31 said:

Hi all, I am new also. I did not come to this decision lightly but finally get that it’s my best hope at a second chance to do things right. I have many complicated health issues and although I am not expecting a cure all, I am hoping for a longer, better living lifestyle. I will be having a sleeve, no surgery date yet as I had not made a decision when I left the consult. This, for me, is a medically necessary procedure so I have to approach things a little differently. I joined a FB support group which helped inspire me and my decision. I also have great support from family and friends behind me. I wish everyone the best on their journey and hope that I can contribute in some way and do not appear needy. Thank you!

Thanks, Deegirl31. Good luck to you!!

6 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Welcome, newbies! Good luck.

Use the search field to find information, there is an abundance. Take our opinions as such, there are variations. But one predominant theme is that you need to use the honeymoon period and your tool to its fullest extent early on.... don't try to find ways 'around' the tool. Go on youtube and look up Dr Weiner, Dr. Duc Vuong and other successful wls patients. Read and read more. Get therapy for disordered eating if you can - we all have a degree of it - the surgery is a physical tool and it will get you far - but your brain and your reptilian brain are far more powerful than surgery.

Thank you so much for this advice, Sosewsue61! I've been searching and searching for a therapist with whom to work, to no avail. But your advice cautions me to not give up. I'll double down on that because I think you're right. I have found the YouTube folks already and will continue to follow. I really appreciate the big take away and will heed your warning.

Thank you for the information and the welcome. Best of luck to all the newbies!

Well welcome Cris and Dee! As much as I babble on here, I too am a loner, shy in real life, like the late Richard Burton the actor I kind of hide it pretty well. But I was an only child, learned early to read and amuse myself, because in early elementary life there was no one to play with. As I grew more, I did learn to play sports, was a Girl Scout, 4Her but still preferred my own company. And now, I have summoned up enough bravery to be on BP, and all my nay-sayers that trampled my emotions, they're all dead so no one left to ridicule me. And now Frustr8 can stand up and be counted, but inside I truly am restrained and shy! Now you know one of my hidden secrets.😜