ร—
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

On 10/12/2019 at 13:12, Stella S said:

Congrats and welcome to the rest of life!! Maintenance is all about enderance and dedication i๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿšดโ€โ™€๏ธ

Thanks! I have a stretch goal of 145, so I can weather the inevitable โ€œbounceโ€ that everyone talks about.
Iโ€™m 100% happy with where I am, but donโ€™t wanna end up any heavier than I am today

On 6/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, Screwballski said:

I'm also struggling a bit, too. These comments are helpful. I've slipped to 118. I want to get back to about 123 but it really is a struggle to PUT weight ON. Especially since I just had bloodwork, physical, etc., and everything indicates I'm super health. Even so, the Doctors, my husband, my friends are on me about weight. It's hard to know what I look like (heathy, fat, frail) because I ave a very dysmorphic view of myself.

In any case, your comments about gaining are extremely helpful.

IMG_3929.JPG

You look stunning, congratulations

*sigh*

Even when I plan out how to get in extra Protein, Iโ€™m STILL struggling to get in 800 cal

The โ€œbeforeโ€ is what I originally planned to eat today.
Even with adding in 1/2 cup cottage cheese (which will be the limit on what my sleeve will be able to hold alongside a p3 pack) itโ€™s still not much more.

Least the protein is good.

image-0.0029802322387695312.jpg

image-0.0020265579223632812.jpg

Back from vacay with Mr. a few days ago (BEST. VACATION. EVER. Thinking that we should leave the Kid at home more often!)

So all the unnecessary worrying about food and carbs pre-trip was just that: unnecessary.

I let myself eat whatever, there was nothing off limits. Though I did make sure not to eat to a stuffed feeling (failed a couple times, though I admit...damn you eating and drinking at same time!). For the most part, I figured if I couldn't eat something cuz I was already satisfied, I could always try it another time. No biggie.

I had Pasta, bread and rice for the first time since surgery, all of which I tolerated well. I found that while I still enjoy pasta (they must put crack or something in the pasta over there, cuz I just couldn't get enough), I don't really care for bread nor rice anymore. Which is surprising because bread and rice were every-meal-staples for me pre-WLS.

Drank wine like Water. Developed a loving relationship with amaretto. I suspect 80% of the carbs I consumed while away came from liquor.

The morning we left, I weighed 115.6 with 16.5% body fat.

Despite all the food and drink (and the fact that I did not go to the hotel gym once, nor go for a single run the entire time), the morning after the day we came back (2 weeks, 3 days later), I was only up to 119.9 with 17.7% body fat. I was totally prepared to see a 10 lb increase! Now I sort of wish that I tracked my food (I didn't use MFP at all, as I was giving myself a vacay from that as well) because I really would like to know what my average daily calorie/macro intake was. I would guess that it was probably in the 3000-3500 range, though (some days probably double that...specifically the days when I had TWO double scoop gelatos instead of one)

Now for the good part:

I wanted to get back to my day-before-vacay- weight, so I (easily!) went back to my running routine, and ate lower-carb, and kept my cals to about 1000-1300. I track everything I put in my mouth, and weigh myself every day at the same time. And this morning, I clocked in at 115.2 with 16.3% body fat. *drops mic*.

Moral of (my) story is that for those in maintenance, the chances to indulge will come along, take it and enjoy within reason (life is short!), and trust yourself that you will be able to work off any gains, so long as you put in the effort. I am now officially confident that I will be a successful long-term maintainer!

Life is Good.

Edited by ms.sss

Back from vacay with Mr. a few days ago (BEST. VACATION. EVER. Thinking that we should leave the Kid at home more often!)
So all the unnecessary worrying about food and carbs pre-trip was just that: unnecessary.
I let myself eat whatever, there was nothing off limits. Though I did make sure not to eat to a stuffed feeling (failed a couple times, though I admit...damn you eating and drinking at same time!). For the most part, I figured if I couldn't eat something cuz I was already satisfied, I could always try it another time. No biggie.
I had Pasta, bread and rice for the first time since surgery, all of which I tolerated well. I found that while I still enjoy Pasta (they must put crack or something in the pasta over there, cuz I just couldn't get enough), I don't really care for bread nor rice anymore. Which is surprising because bread and rice were every-meal-staples for me pre-WLS.
Drank wine like Water. Developed a loving relationship with amaretto. I suspect 80% of the carbs I consumed while away came from liquor.
Despite all the food and drink (and the fact that I did not go to the hotel gym once, nor go for a single run the entire time), the morning after the day we came back (2 weeks, 3 days later), I was only up to 119.9 with 17.7% body fat. I was totally prepared to see a 10 lb increase! Now I sort of wish that I tracked my food (I didn't use MFP at all, as I was giving myself a vacay from that as well) because I really would like to know what my average daily calorie/macro intake was. I would guess that it was probably in the 3000-3500 range, though (some days probably double that...specifically the days when I had TWO double scoop gelatos instead of one)
Now for the good part:
I wanted to get back to my day-before-vacay- weight, so I (easily!) went back to my running routine, and ate lower-carb, and kept my cals to about 1000-1300. I track everything I put in my mouth, and weigh myself every day at the same time. And this morning, I clocked in at 115.2 with 16.3% body fat. *drops mic*.
Moral of (my) story is that for those in maintenance, the chances to indulge will come along, take it and enjoy within reason (life is short!), and trust yourself that you will be able to work off any gains, so long as you put in the effort. I am now officially confident that I will be a successful long-term maintainer!
Life is Good.

Welcome back!!!!! You were missed!!
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an Awesome "moral of story"!!!! I'm so glad you had an amazing time![emoji176][emoji176][emoji108]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/14/2019 at 15:23, ms.sss said:

I had Pasta, bread and rice for the first time since surgery, all of which I tolerated well. I found that while I still enjoy Pasta (they must put crack or something in the pasta over there, cuz I just couldn't get enough), I don't really care for bread nor rice anymore. Which is surprising because bread and rice were every-meal-staples for me pre-WLS.

Now for the good part:

Life is Good.

Wow!
So this really gives me a much- needed lift today.
My mood today has been kinda โ€œmehโ€ bc after posting my planned calories for the day, I couldnโ€™t finish all of my Protein Shake or even half my p3.
In fact, I was so disgusted that I couldnโ€™t get my calories in that I took a pity pic.

lol, there it is at my work stationโ€”- the sad remainders of food I couldnโ€™t eat.
At least I did go with the cottage cheese first and finished it.

Anyways, Iโ€™m starting to think that my body really isnโ€™t ready to stop losing yet, which is kinda disappointing (yes, you read that right) because my mind is really over losing and Iโ€™m very happy with how I look and Iโ€™d love to be able to just get to maintenance, ya know?

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

I've read through this entire thread, which was incredibly informative. Thank you all! A few observations:

- I am floored when I read that some people are maintaining on 2000-ish calories. I am still full after eating a weight-loss meal, and I can't imagine more than doubling my calories. The key seems to be healthy carbs, according to many of you. (Carbs scare me, however!)

- When I saw my surgeon just before starting maintenance, she didn't tell me my ideal weight. I would like to gain 5-10 pounds and am relying on the bounce-back to take care of that.

- I did not count calories, Protein or anything else for the last several months and don't intend to during maintenance, unless I can't find my sweet spot through trial and error. However, I seem to be an outlier in that regard.

- I don't really care what my BMI is. Everyone's body is so different that it seems difficult to generalize everyone at a certain height and weight as having a particular BMI. I know how I want to look and feel without obsessing about my BMI. Again, I seem to be an outlier.

- I have one question: What about rice during maintenance? I haven't seen anyone talk about it. Is rice a no-no?

Again, I'm really happy to have found this thread. The weight loss phase was so regimented, but maintenance seems like sort of a free-for-all!

It takes awhile to add calories and can kind of freak you out a bit. We are used to being on a certain plan and to start stretching it a bit and allowing formerly forbidden foods (carbs) is weird. I guarantee if you do this gradually and focus on good carbs (a little rice is ok if you can tolerate it) it will be ok. Getting past 800 cal a day was my first hurdle. I did it in 100 cal per day increments and once comfortable with that I added another 100. I still donโ€™t do noodles at all and only have bread about 1x a week. Iโ€™m at 1600 to 1900 cal per day depending on my activity level and desire to eat. Hang in there....it gets easier as you see you wonโ€™t gain weight back if you stay mindful of what and how you eat!

6 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I've read through this entire thread, which was incredibly informative. Thank you all! A few observations:

- I am floored when I read that some people are maintaining on 2000-ish calories. I am still full after eating a weight-loss meal, and I can't imagine more than doubling my calories. The key seems to be healthy carbs, according to many of you. (Carbs scare me, however!)

- When I saw my surgeon just before starting maintenance, she didn't tell me my ideal weight. I would like to gain 5-10 pounds and am relying on the bounce-back to take care of that.

- I did not count calories, Protein or anything else for the last several months and don't intend to during maintenance, unless I can't find my sweet spot through trial and error. However, I seem to be an outlier in that regard.

- I don't really care what my BMI is. Everyone's body is so different that it seems difficult to generalize everyone at a certain height and weight as having a particular BMI. I know how I want to look and feel without obsessing about my BMI. Again, I seem to be an outlier.

- I have one question: What about rice during maintenance? I haven't seen anyone talk about it. Is rice a no-no?๏ปฟ

Again, I'm really happy to have found this thread. The weight loss phase was so regimented, but maintenance seems like sort of a free-for-all!

I have one question: What about rice during maintenance? I haven't seen anyone talk about it. Is rice a no-no?

My maintenance instructions โ€“ add healthy fats (nuts seeds avocado) and low glycemic carbohydrates Sweet potato, brown rice and whole wheat. (nothing white or processed with added sugar) Personally, rice bloats me. I can eat small amounts added in a recipe. I got to goal in six months. My restriction was still tight. I had to graze meals to stop my weight loss.

Is there no noโ€™ foods in maintaining? I have no off-limit foods, I indulge within reason. I know my body and trigger foods. If I have a slight gain from food choices, I go back to weight loss calories to get them back off.

Pre surgery, I could lose weight but not maintain it long term.

It took time to change from weight loss โ€œrulesโ€ into maintaining. I had to work on my fear of regain and find my own balance. I now trust myself to maintain ten pounds up and down the scale.< /span>

7 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I๏ปฟ ๏ปฟdon't really care what my BMI is. Everyone's body is so different๏ปฟ that it seems difficult to generalize everyone at a certain height and๏ปฟ weight as having a particular BMI. I know how I want to look and feel without obsessing about my BMI. Again, I seem to be๏ปฟ an outlier๏ปฟ.

I agree . I only care about how I look and feel ๐Ÿ˜‚

8 hours ago, Recidivist said:

- I have๏ปฟ ๏ปฟone question: What about rice d๏ปฟuring mainten๏ปฟance? I haven't๏ปฟ seen anyone๏ปฟ talk about it. Is ric๏ปฟe a no-no?๏ปฟ๏ปฟ๏ปฟ

Brown rice and corn tortillas are my main starchy carbs on rotation. I seem to have a steel sleeve because nothing bothers me except too much fat. I do see you had a bypass so this is probably not very helpful to you!

1 minute ago, Cheeseburgh said:

Brown rice and corn tortillas are my main starchy carbs on rotation. I seem to have a steel sleeve because nothing bothers me except too much fat. I do see you had a bypass so this is probably not very helpful to you!

Thanks, cheese. That is helpful, thanks! Very little bothers me anymore, but the problem is eating enough without feeling stuffed. I love sushi, so perhaps I could do sushi with brown rice!

@ms.sss Your trip sounds like a trip of a lifetime. (No kids lol) It is awesome you have the knowledge and tools to navigate and motivate yourself to adapt your diet and lifestyle and still have fun!

*Holy run on sentence Batman.

Edited by Cheeseburgh

I have to admit that as Iโ€™m sitting here sipping my morning coffee, I have zero plans to add in any kind of starch today and I donโ€™t know how I feel about it.
Iโ€™m seriously considering contacting my insurance and seeing if I can get approved for a few sessions with my bariatric therapist.
Right when I had gotten to my 16 weeks with her, my insurance deductible reset and the cost was going to make me choose between that or Pilates.
Iโ€™ve got some more $$$ in my HSA account now (surgery in February drained the account) and Iโ€™m thinking I can now afford the $400/month for at least a couple of months before the account is drained again.
Iโ€™m thinking I really need help in this transition.