Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion Sizes @ Restaurants

Have any of you ever been treated rudely at a restaurant when trying to order smaller portions??

We went to Red Robin and I tried to order off the kids menu and was told I wasn't allowed to because I'm over twelve, and then I tried to split a plate with my mom instead and the waitress was really rudely side-eyeing us like we were being rude for only ordering the one meal. She was slow and only brought fries for my mom -- which, fine, I don't really need fries, but the meal was a split??? And Red Robin has unlimited fries anyway??? And she made sure we knew the drinks were "at separate cost," like, yeah, we know. Whatever. I mean, nobody else has ever minded me ordering off the kids menu. It made me feel bad, like I was wasting space or something. I haaaate that feeling, it is terrible. /venting

I always feel weird doing it, but, when I ask in advance, I've never had anyone tell me I can't order off the kids menu. I don't ask often though. I usually just order an ala carte item or something

I wouldn't order off a kid's menu. The food is usually subpar nutrition wise. Concerning the portion, order what you want, ask for a small plate and serve yourself a portion and take the rest to go. Avoid issues with rude staff.

I've had Beef O'Brady's tell me I couldn't order off the kids menu. Usually my husband and I split something, like you and your mom did, and nobody's been rude about it and we haven't had any problems

2 hours ago, bluehat said:

Have any of you ever been treated rudely at a restaurant when trying to order smaller portions??

We went to Red Robin and I tried to order off the kids menu and was told I wasn't allowed to because I'm over twelve, and then I tried to split a plate with my mom instead and the waitress was really rudely side-eyeing us like we were being rude for only ordering the one meal. She was slow and only brought fries for my mom -- which, fine, I don't really need fries, but the meal was a split??? And Red Robin has unlimited fries anyway??? And she made sure we knew the drinks were "at separate cost," like, yeah, we know. Whatever. I mean, nobody else has ever minded me ordering off the kids menu. It made me feel bad, like I was wasting space or something. I haaaate that feeling, it is terrible. /venting

I appreciate good service. I’ve been treated rudely in some restaurants. Guess the wait staff didn’t want a decent tip. *snicker*

Did you get a bariatric Restaurant Card from your surgeon? Some restaurants will honor smaller portions if you use the card. I never used mine

Red Robin - I order a turkey burger, no bun, steamed veggies instead of fries. To go boxes for left overs are great. I can make one restaurant portion into several meals.

58 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I appreciate good service. I’ve been treated rudely in some restaurants. Guess the wait staff didn’t want a decent tip. *snicker*

Did you get a bariatric Restaurant Card from your surgeon? Some restaurants will honor smaller portions if you use the card. I never used mine

Red Robin - I order a turkey burger, no bun, steamed veggies instead of fries. To go boxes for left overs are great. I can make one restaurant portion into several meals.

Wait what?! A bariatric restaurant card is a thing? I need that!

I just cut my meal in half or thirds to start and get a to-go box. Or I order an appetizer as a meal.

My program gave me a card that says I’ve had surgery which only allows me to eat small portions so let me order off the kids menu. I’ve actually never used it (I try to get an app or a small salad with chicken, or a turkey burger no bun, etc). It is a thing! 😀