Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing while you're losing weight



Recommended Posts

So, this morning I needed to make a trip to the grocery store and I pulled on a pair of jeans.

I took two steps out of my bedroom and the jeans fell down and pooled around my feet. I started crying. Happy tears, not sad. Those jeans used to fit me pretty snug, and now they are so loose that they won't stay up. I never thought my clothes would be too big on me and it was a bit of a reality check for me making me realize that I'm getting healthier and I'm actually doing it.

I just want to know, did you guys start buying more clothes right away? I can't really afford to keep buying new clothes every few months, so does anyone else have other alternatives? I work from home so I don't need dressy stuff, just jeans and t-shirts. Good Will? Wal Mart?

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You and Paddyski, I do believe you both need a piece of rope belt to keep you from total embarrassment. But Congratulations on enough of a loss to make that much of a size difference!👖👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EBay, if you know what size you are now in some designers. Look for sellers that take returns. I'm buying the minimum since I don't know where I will end up. Baggy dresses and leggings can hold up through a few size changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find that belted dresses last a couple sizes. Check end of year sales. When I saw them go on sale, I bought black slacks, jeans, and work out pants that I'm currently wearing in the next two sizes down. I'm less concerned about tops - most of my tops are tunic-like, so they'll last me a while. I also happen to have sweaters in a couple sizes, so that should work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude! Have you really lost 66 pounds in the 2 weeks since surgery???? I've lost 12!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Myhorseisfattoo said:

Dude! Have you really lost 66 pounds in the 2 weeks since surgery???? I've lost 12!

I've lost about 40lbs since my surgery, my starting weight was my first weigh-in back in March during my initial appointment with my surgeon.

I guess living off pudding and milk for 2 weeks makes you lose weight fast haha

Edited by xMissyChrissy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm gonna lose but it is frustrating when I see so may lose so quickly! I go back to work tomorrow and I wanted to be all obviously thinner.

Good job, you!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Myhorseisfattoo said:

I know I'm gonna lose but it is frustrating when I see so may lose so quickly! I go back to work tomorrow and I wanted to be all obviously thinner.

Good job, you!!!!

Thank you!

And well, the bigger you are, the more/quicker you lose. Your starting weight is 150lbs less than mine, but you're losing! Slow and steady. I'm nervous that I'm going to get gallstones with how fast I'm dropping, but only time will tell.

Edited by xMissyChrissy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xMissyChrissy said:

Well, the bigger you are, the more/quicker you lose. Your starting weight is 150lbs less than mine, but you're losing! Slow and steady. I'm nervous that I'm going to get gallstones with how fast I'm dropping, but only time will tell.

Do they have you on gallstone dissolving meds? I'm on them for 6 months (Actigall). They put everyone on it, no matter starting size. I already have gallstones but they aren't stuck anywhere that will cause trouble (for now), so no need to get it removed.

Edited by mousecat88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Do they have you on gallstone dissolving meds? I'm on them for 6 months (Actigall). They put everyone on it, no matter starting size. I already have gallstones but they aren't stuck anywhere that will cause trouble (for now), so no need to get it removed.

They did not. My gallbladder was clear (my cousin did the ultrasound and said my gallbladder was "lovely"), so they didn't start me on anything. I don't believe my surgeon took it out during my surgery, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, xMissyChrissy said:

They did not. My gallbladder was clear (my cousin did the ultrasound and said my gallbladder was "lovely"), so they didn't start me on anything. I don't believe my surgeon took it out during my surgery, either.

Maybe if you're concerned ask about Actigall. It's to prevent any gallstones from forming when you're going through the rapid weight loss period of the first 6 months. I'm scared of having my gallbladder removed. Moreso than I was this surgery. Irrational, I know. lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mousecat88 said:

Maybe if you're concerned ask about Actigall. It's to prevent any gallstones from forming when you're going through the rapid weight loss period of the first 6 months. I'm scared of having my gallbladder removed. Moreso than I was this surgery. Irrational, I know. lol.

My office doesn't open again until tomorrow, but I will definitely bring it up. Thank you!

And I was terrified of my surgery because my friend thought it would be funny to send me a video about anesthesia awareness a few days before my surgery. I was freaking out, but my surgery went fine. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One other thing - go closet shopping. I found that I had some clothes in about 4 different sizes in my main and guest closets that I’d forgotten about. Not much, but enough to get by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My go-to has been leggings and jeggings. I bought some Leggings at Sam's, costco and Jeggings at Old Navy in smaller sizes since it stretches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xMissyChrissy said:

So, this morning I needed to make a trip to the grocery store and I pulled on a pair of jeans.

I took two steps out of my bedroom and the jeans fell down and pooled around my feet. I started crying. Happy tears, not sad. Those jeans used to fit me pretty snug, and now they are so loose that they won't stay up. I never thought my clothes would be too big on me and it was a bit of a reality check for me making me realize that I'm getting healthier and I'm actually doing it.

I just want to know, did you guys start buying more clothes right away? I can't really afford to keep buying new clothes every few months, so does anyone else have other alternatives? I work from home so I don't need dressy stuff, just jeans and t-shirts. Good Will? Wal Mart?

Thanks :)

I was smart and asked for Christmas from my family this year leggings in different sizes. I've honestly been just living in leggings because you can pull them up higher when they start getting loose and it gives you a little more time with them before you have to get new ones. If you want to stick with jeans definently do Walmart and it doesn't hurt to check local good wills. Sometimes you can snag a good deal. Amazon is another place that's great. They're always doing sales and you can get nice plain t-shirts for relatively good price. I don't know if there is one around you but we have a Ross in our area and they get pants super cheap. I'm talking like $8 for a pair of pants. I've seen shirts priced at $3 or $4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×