Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Contemplating ESG

Hi! I'm new to the forum and currently contemplating having the ESG procedure. Anyone have any regrets about the procedure or wish they had not had it done? I'm trying to find a doctor in Atlanta that performs the ESG but not much luck.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WBB

There is a facebood group for USA ESG its called: Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Support Group USA, its fairly active if you do not get sufficient responses here.

I am in the early stages of my ESG, just started normal foods at one cup volume three times a day. My recovery was pretty good, had intermittent cramps for three days/two nights only. My diet hasn't been perfect, but my results you can see on the left there.

Some people on the three ESG Facebook groups I belong have regretted their ESG...they say they do feel any restriction and/or have put on weight, others have had great success some losing over 40kilos.

While results vary due to the individual, I also think its due to the skill of the doctor/surgeon...best to ask how many ESGs they have undertaken, what the average weight loss is for their patients, how many failures/complications their patients have experienced. What post op support programs they have in place. The skill is needed to judge where the sutures go and how many to sutures to insert so as they give proper restriction and have the best chance for endurability.

Talk to @LynnV she is a recent veteran from my home state of Ohio. She seems to be doing very very good! Good spokesperson for ESG.

Thanks so much. I've found one surgeon near me that does the surgery but concerned about the lack of experience with ESG.

If Georgia doesn't work out there are quite a few in North Carolina.

5 hours ago, WBB said:

Thanks so much. I've found one surgeon near me that does the surgery but concerned about the lack of experience with ESG.

How many ESG procedures have they done?

I am so glad I did the esg! I was at the low end of the BMI range (31) for the procedure. Thought I would lose very slowly but that was not the case! I’m 9 weeks post op and have lost 33lbs. Last 4 weeks I’ve lost 3 or 4 lbs each week! You do need to follow your dr instructions exactly....protein and Water are key.

I had ESG in October 2017 and regret it. I always had a strange pain in my abdomen after I ate, despite following the diet. I had to pay out of pocket for the procedure and ended up only losing 19 pounds! I had it reversed last year and did a SADI bypass on 12/31/18.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:34 PM, WBB said:

There is a Bariatric Center of Excellence in Columbia SC. That is what you should be looking for. I had mine done 4 months ago and have had absolutely no problems.

I had the ESG 10/08 in Atlanta at Georgia Surgi care. I like the doctor and the staff. IDK if this matters but the facility is beautiful and clean which made me feel more comfortable. The total was $7000 ( I caught it on a special) usually its more expensive.

I was 320 on 10/08 the day of surgery.

Today I am 302 10/19

i have lost 18lbs in 11 days. I go in for my 2 week post op check up on 10/22.

If this helps this is not my first weight loss procedure I had gastric sleeve 2 years ago and lost 118lbs and i had 57 pounds of regain which is what made me have ESG.

ESG recovery: For me the first night was TERRIBLE when I got home I vomited over 20 times. Which I really don't know if it was the anesthesia or the procedure bc I experienced the exact same thing with VSG two years ago. I started soft foods diet on day 7 and I do have discomfort and general malaise. I feel very tired all the time... I stayed out of work for 1 week. I know this tired feeling is from lack of eating and not drinking enough water.. I force myself to drink Protein & water..... I have started eating eggs and I can eat 1/2 of 1 egg. I also ate oatmeal which was maybe 2-3 spoons and that was all i could hold....

On 3/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, ESGnewbie said:

I had ESG in October 2017 and regret it. I always had a strange pain in my abdomen after I ate, despite following the diet. I had to pay out of pocket for the procedure and ended up only losing 19 pounds! I had it reversed last year and did a SADI bypass on 12/31/18.

Where did you get the SADI bypass?