Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I met with my nutritionist yesterday and was overwhelmed:) I know that my intake will be super low following surgery- so I'll have to used other methods besides just food in order to meet my daily Protein requirements. What brand/types of protein powders do you recommend/like to add to liquids/meals in order to get in the daily protein requirements? There are so many to choose from!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there! There are so many different powders and supplements to choose from, and a myriad of different opinions on what's best. I myself use multiple different powders depending on what I am making. I use a few different isopure flavors, including unflavored that I sneak into random things I make. When I make my morning shake, I will usually use Delicious Dream french vanilla, or Isopure Dutch chocolate.

I also have a few pea Protein options that I use for more savory things since I think it has a less sweet taste. For example when I make my spinach, flaxseed, nut butter and almond milk shake I use this one.

In addition to the powders, I've used Premier Protein RTD drinks (predominately caramel or chocolate) to add to my daily coffee. Honest those RTD shakes helped me reach my protein goal very shortly after surgery, but that won't be the case for everyone.

I would also highly recommend protein waters. I've personally used Premier Protein Clears (20g Protein), Protein2o (15g protein), and Trimino (7g protein) and I alternate depending on what my daily need is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

Hi there! There are so many different powders and supplements to choose from, and a myriad of different opinions on what's best. I myself use multiple different powders depending on what I am making. I use a few different isopure flavors, including unflavored that I sneak into random things I make. When I make my morning shake, I will usually use Delicious Dream french vanilla, or Isopure Dutch chocolate.

I also have a few pea Protein options that I use for more savory things since I think it has a less sweet taste. For example when I make my spinach, flaxseed, nut butter and almond milk shake I use this one.

In addition to the powders, I've used Premier Protein RTD drinks (predominately caramel or chocolate) to add to my daily coffee. Honest those RTD shakes helped me reach my Protein goal very shortly after surgery, but that won't be the case for everyone.

I would also highly recommend protein waters. I've personally used Premier Protein Clears (20g Protein), Protein2o (15g protein), and Trimino (7g protein) and I alternate depending on what my daily need is.

I've never heard of protein Water. Does it have a taste?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend ordering sample packs in the beginning. After surgery, your tastes change and the consistency of some drinks are harder to get down. I started with premiere Protein. I loved that I can but it at costco, Target and other stores, but right after surgery it was too sweet. I ordered sample packs from several companies and got many samples from my nutritionist and surgeon. I finally settled on Unjury (you can buy this at pharmacies or on-line). I use almond milk to up the protein. You will need to find what works for you. I highly recommend you also get an unflavored protein. You can add it to drinks, Soups and oatmeals.

Best of luck to your in your journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

Hi there! There are so many different powders and supplements to choose from, and a myriad of different opinions on what's best. I myself use multiple different powders depending on what I am making. I use a few different isopure flavors, including unflavored that I sneak into random things I make. When I make my morning shake, I will usually use Delicious Dream french vanilla, or Isopure Dutch chocolate.

I also have a few pea Protein options that I use for more savory things since I think it has a less sweet taste. For example when I make my spinach, flaxseed, nut butter and almond milk shake I use this one.

In addition to the powders, I've used Premier Protein RTD drinks (predominately caramel or chocolate) to add to my daily coffee. Honest those RTD shakes helped me reach my Protein goal very shortly after surgery, but that won't be the case for everyone.

I would also highly recommend protein waters. I've personally used Premier Protein Clears (20g Protein), Protein2o (15g protein), and Trimino (7g protein) and I alternate depending on what my daily need is.

Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, domi said:

I would recommend ordering sample packs in the beginning. After surgery, your tastes change and the consistency of some drinks are harder to get down. I started with premiere Protein. I loved that I can but it at costco, Target and other stores, but right after surgery it was too sweet. I ordered sample packs from several companies and got many samples from my nutritionist and surgeon. I finally settled on Unjury (you can buy this at pharmacies or on-line). I use almond milk to up the Protein. You will need to find what works for you. I highly recommend you also get an unflavored protein. You can add it to drinks, Soups and oatmeals.

Best of luck to your in your journey.

Thanks so much for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mrs.Braxton<3 said:

I've never heard of Protein Water. Does it have a taste?

Yes they do have a taste, and it can be very sweet. For the first 3 or so months I used to grab my big Water jug and pour 1/2 the protein water and 1/2 regular water to bring down the flavor a bit. I can drink them as they are now since I can offset the sweetness with savory things the rest of the day. Fresh out of surgery, sooooo much of what you are drinking is sweet so it's harder to get it down so that's why I added water.

Note that protein waters are not cheap, but considering you won't really be buying groceries for yourself it kind of evens out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. Thank you. I can't wait for my appt before the surgery so I will know more of what to expect. I'm kind of freaking out. I'm nervous and I want to do it NOW but I gotta wait til next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mrs.Braxton<3 said:

Ah. Thank you. I can't wait for my appt before the surgery so I will know more of what to expect. I'm kind of freaking out. I'm nervous and I want to do it NOW but I gotta wait til next month.

We all had that. I definitely know I did at least. But looking back I was thankful I had the lull in between because it really made me prepare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

We all had that. I definitely know I did at least. But looking back I was thankful I had the lull in between because it really made me prepare.

That's true. Give me more time to get my diet in line. But to be honest, I kind of wanna eat all the sweets I want now before it really has to change. I gotta change my mentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mrs.Braxton<3 said:

That's true. Give me more time to get my diet in line. But to be honest, I kind of wanna eat all the sweets I want now before it really has to change. I gotta change my mentality.

I know many people conduct food funerals. I don't know why I didn't, I just kind of said enough was enough but I am pretty much the lone wolf in that regards. A lot of people felt a sense of closure when they had the last of their favorites before going into the more rigorous diets required for their pre-op. Do exactly what you feel like will give you the best sense of peace moving forward.

If your a coffee aficionado though, I would HIGHLY recommend breaking that caffeine addiction PRIOR to your pre-op liquid diet because dealing with withdrawals while also going through the "I could eat my arm off but all I get is this Protein shake" phase would be HELL. I was so so so thankful I quit caffeine immediately and had 2 months to recover before I had to recover from surgery too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrs.Braxton<3 said:

I've never heard of Protein Water. Does it have a taste?

It is flavored. I have bought the Protein2o and i am preop still. I am getting sleeved tomorrow. They come in a grape, berry and coconut flavor. I like the coconut best myself LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jazzy1125 said:

It is flavored. I have bought the Protein2o and i am preop still. I am getting sleeved tomorrow. They come in a grape, berry and coconut flavor. I like the coconut best myself LOL

Best of luck for tomorrow!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • MarkLewis

      I had my VSG on 11/19/18. All went very smoothly at the hospital, I was able to get up and walk a bunch, and was discharged at 11 am the next morning. Unfortunately, at about day 6 I noticed that I had thrush and am still taking meds to get rid of it. The first was Nystatin and now on Diclofenac. I also got VERY constipated from the iron supplements, but luckily some Miralax unclogged me. My highest ever weight was 319lbs, I was 282lbs at my first visit with my surgeon and 270lbs on my surgery date. As of this morning, December 9th I am 245lbs.
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        Welcome to the site and congrats on your success so far. Sounds like you're doing great! Hope to see you in the forums.

    • Cmarie91

      Hey, I’m new here!
      · 3 replies
      1. shedo82773

        Welcome!!

      2. Cmarie91

        Thank you!!

      3. thedutch

        Hello and welcome

    • The 56 Bypass

      Well, I am still on schedule for a December 26th surgery, but no longer sleeve, but instead bypass. Here is a link to my latest YouTube video explaining why the change: 
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • drac2you

      Still stuck at a 50# weight-loss after three years. Starting to think the rest is never going to come off. I have decided to see a bariatric doctor, where I currently live, since I have moved away from the one that did my original surgery. Also starting to wonder what weight-loss percentage is considered a failure for this surgery. I don't want to be one of the unsuccessful stories, but I'm becoming very discouraged. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I lost the weight I did, but why won't the rest GO?!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AshMarie794

      Def crazy looking at all my before pictures! Great motivation

      · 2 replies
      1. proudgrammy

        one picture is worth a thousand words!! congrats - kathy

      2. irol888

        Amazing!!!

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Dealing with Family during the Holidays

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Ash Krupnik
    2. You Are NOT What You Eat

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Warren L. Huberman, PhD.
    3. Surviving the Thanksgiving Table: A Few Hacks

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Alex Brecher
    4. Thanksgiving Tips You Can Use

      Posted in: Post-Op Support
      Alex Brecher
    5. Got Your Guard Up for Holiday Season?

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×