Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flinstones multivitamins??

I'm now almost 5 weeks out of surgery and I've been taking the liquid Centrum Multivitamin twice a day. I didn't get a chance to order the liquid gain and ran out so I went to the store and got the Flinstones complete chewable (not gummy) multivitamin because I've heard that some people use it. I can't call my NUT because it's a weekend and I haven't taken my multivitamin for the day because I'm nervous about taking it. Is anyone using these? Any opinions or suggestions on what to use??

I'm still pre-op but I have heard of many people taking Flintstones after surgery. In fact, I am taking them preop because they're delicious and the only Vitamins that I have continued to take on a regular basis. From what my office said, they aren't the go to choice anymore since there are better/more complete options out there.

Still contact your NUT on Monday when you can but the flintstones shouldn't do any harm. I would rather take not enough vitamins than none at all. Might be a good idea to compare the flintstones to your liquid vitamins and see if you need to take 2 or 3 to make up the difference.

I take 2 of the Flintstones completes everyday. I'm 2 months post op. No problems here. You have to take Calcium separately because the Flintstones completes have Iron. I also take Biotin, B complex and D3.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

My NUT rexommended them, as I cannot stand the taste of the bariatric Vitamins, and most of the liquids are incomplete. They are about the only ones that the taste doesnt make me gag. I was told to take 2 daily.

I actually take the Walgreen's version of the children's chewable vitamins + Iron. They are exactly the same as the Flintstone's Vitamins but much less expensive. And, I had to bring all my vitamins to my NUT for approval and they were approved. I'm taking one a day right now and after surgery, I'll be taking two a day. They taste good too.

My NUT recommended the flint stones chewable with Iron - I take two in the morning and two in the afternoon, starting one week after surgery!

Wahhh I Don't like Flintstones💊 Vitamins very much!

I'll fix Them--- I'll just Chew Them to DEATH!😛💊😛

On 8/19/2018 at 6:15 AM, AELdoesRNY said:

My NUT recommended the flint stones chewable with Iron - I take two in the morning and two in the afternoon, starting one week after surgery!

Four per day? I'm supposed to take two after surgery and that seems like a lot to me. I know every surgeon is different in their requirements...

On 08/20/2018 at 16:46, macadamia said:

Four per day? I'm supposed to take two after surgery and that seems like a lot to me. I know every surgeon is different in their requirements...

Well, I think it’s four because they’re “children’s”, so doubling it would be a standard adult dose and then four of them makes up for malabsorption. Did you also have RNY?

I will be having a sleeve done on September 6th.

I take the Walgreen's version of the Flintstone's Vitamins. The dosage for children is 1/2, and one daily for adults. I did not know the dosage for the Flintstone's. Thanks!

On 08/20/2018 at 16:50, macadamia said:

I take the Walgreen's version of the Flintstone's Vitamins. The dosage for children is 1/2, and one daily for adults. I did not know the dosage for the Flintstone's. Thanks!

I’m not 100% sure, I can go look! VSG doesn’t have the same kind of malabsorption so probably less works!

Flintstones vs. Bariatric Specific Multi-vitamins:
You will be shocked if you just compared the labels, there is absolutely no comparison. You can take my word or do the research. Even if you doubled your intake of Flintstones Vitamins, you would still be lacking in many vital nutrients like your B vitamins that support energy and skin and Hair growth.

Gummies:
It is hard to incorporate the same ingredients to gummy vitamins as it is in chewable vitamins. Experts advise to stay away from gummies for the most obvious reason; they are made with too much sugar, and the main ingredient of many is high fructose corn Syrup. You will have to take several gummies to be equivalent to just one bariatric specific Multi-Vitamin. Some gummies when you take all that is needed after bariatric surgery, the sugar intake from the vitamins are over 30 grams of sugar. Total recommendation for sugar for the day is to have less than 25 grams per day. Seems counter-intuitive to choose a Vitamin line with that much sugar especially with the main ingredient being high fructose corn syrup. It boils down to, do you want the orange or the orange colored Gummy bear to nourish your body? The bottom line is that gummies just do not have enough nutrients in them for a post weight loss surgery patient. Gummies also do not provide Iron which is needed for many post-op bariatric patients.

21 hours ago, macadamia said:

I was told to take 2 Flintstones/day