Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I will be 3 months out from VSG on the 21st of August and as of today I've lost 37 pounds. My highest weight was 428 May of 2017 and I weighed 373 the morning of surgery. I was stalled almost the whole month of July but ended up losing a little over 6 pounds at the end of the month... I eat about 1000-1200 per my nutritionist with 80-100g of Protein and 50-75g of carbs and exercise 45 mins a day, 6 days a week. Any suggestions or help? Am I not eating enough? I can eat about 4-5oz of meat and some veggies, I just don't know if I'm just a slow loser or what... Anyone weighing 350+ that was a slow loser still lose a lot of weight within a year or two... I'm just worried it's never going to come off... Please help calm me...

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm not I'm your bracket but I lose slowly as well. What is your pure Water consumption looking like? And can you give examples of your meals (be super honest ,no judgment) because not all calories are created equal.

Edited by GreenTealael

In 2.5 months you have lost 37 lbs. That doesn't sound slow to me!

I'm not I'm your bracket but I lose slowly as well. What is your pure Water consumption looking like? And can you give examples of your meals (be super honest ,no judgment) because not all calories are created equal.
I drink about 72+ of pure water daily... And I still use a Protein Shake for Breakfast, I stick to taco salad for lunch, which consist of 1/2 cup of taco meat with some romaine, some spinach, 2 tablespoons of salsa and about 1/4 of cheddar cheese, sometimes I put black Beans in, dinner varies but usually chicken, about 4-5oz and a few bites of veggies, I don't make much carbs anymore... And I'll have a snack or two a day, usually dannon light and fit Greek yogurt or sargento breaks with the cheese and nuts... For a "treat" once in a while I will have a mini ice cream sandwich or mini Klondike which those are about 120 calories... But I don't eat those everyday... I am not gonna lie, I have had some snack foods in the past but the last month or so I stick firm to this menu... I did email my nutritionist and waiting for a response, I go back at the beginning of Sept for my 3 month followup so we will see what she says too....

In 2.5 months you have lost 37 lbs. That doesn't sound slow to me!
I guess my hardest part is being larger to begin with I just expected to lose more in the beginning... I'm thankful for losing 37 in 2.5 months because it's 37 less I have to lose... I just compare myself I guess, which I know I shouldn't... But I see people losing 45-50 by now...

A lot of times the stats in profiles include pre op weight loss. So that makes it look like others are losing faster than we are.

I'd suggest not comparing yourself to others, or what you think you should be losing. As long as you are following your plan, you are going to maximize your loss.

A lot of times the stats in profiles include pre op weight loss. So that makes it look like others are losing faster than we are.
I'd suggest not comparing yourself to others, or what you think you should be losing. As long as you are following your plan, you are going to maximize your loss.
Thank you... I will say I'm thankful for the 90lbs I've lost total since my highest... I just wanted to see if there was other slow losers that still made it to goal or close to... But thank you and I try really hard not to compare... The mental game is the hardest with this surgery for me personally... Thank you for your feedback...

18 minutes ago, CrazieConnie said:

I drink about 72+ of pure Water daily... And I still use a Protein Shake for Breakfast, I stick to taco salad for lunch, which consist of 1/2 cup of taco meat with some romaine, some spinach, 2 tablespoons of salsa and about 1/4 of cheddar cheese, sometimes I put black Beans in, dinner varies but usually chicken, about 4-5oz and a few bites of veggies, I don't make much carbs anymore... And I'll have a snack or two a day, usually dannon light and fit Greek yogurt or sargento breaks with the cheese and nuts... For a "treat" once in a while I will have a mini ice cream sandwich or mini Klondike which those are about 120 calories... But I don't eat those everyday... I am not gonna lie, I have had some snack foods in the past but the last month or so I stick firm to this menu... I did email my nutritionist and waiting for a response, I go back at the beginning of Sept for my 3 month followup so we will see what she says too....

Can you bump that water intake up? 24 oz before breakfast shake? Also what kind of shake? And how many grams of sugar? Its interesting but weight loss is not as simple as cals in cals out, its also types of calories. Too much sugar will prevent you from loosing. Google glycogenolysis, gluconeogenesis, lipolysis, and ketogenesis when you have time.

Edited by GreenTealael

Can you bump that Water intake up? 24 oz before Breakfast shake? Also what kind of shake? And how many grams of sugar? Its interesting but weight loss is not as simple as cals in cals out, its also types of calories. To much sugar will prevent you from reaching ketogenosis. Google glycogenolysis, gluconeogenesis, lipolysis, and ketogenesis when you have time.
I definitely could up the water... And I drink Premier Protein so it's 30g Protein and 2g sugar and 5g carbs... I will check those out... Thank you!!

1 minute ago, CrazieConnie said:

I definitely could up the water... And I drink Premier Protein so it's 30g Protein and 2g sugar and 5g carbs... I will check those out... Thank you!!

Premier is good, maybe adding ice to it, anyway to get a lot more Water in. 72oz is ok but you may need more... Let us know what your NUT thinks! I lose slow AF but researching helped me to understand it a little better. Especially what I could do to improve my chances, but ultimately my body will dictate where i land

Premier is good, maybe adding ice to it, anyway to get a lot more Water in. 72oz is ok but you may need more... Let us know what your NUT thinks! I lose slow AF but researching helped me to understand it a little better. Especially what I could do to improve my chances, but ultimately my body will dictate where i land
Thanks for the input and I will up the Water intake... And hopefully she'll get back to me tomorrow so we shall see and I definitely will let you know... I have been looking into things, last time I was stalled, the whole month of July she upped my calories and it finally broke so I wonder if I'm not eating enough... I burn like 2800 a day between being so heavy and then working out... So I don't know if my body is in starvation or what... If I only lose 2 pounds a week I'll take it because it all adds up in the end... But it is so disheartening cause you see people barely trying and losing 5-6 pounds a week.... But thanks again for your input...

Everyone’s different, the day of surgery I was 325lbs and I lost 33 pounds in the first 3 months so I think you’re doing great! I compared myself too much to everyone else and thought I was losing too slow but my surgeon said I was losing what I should 🤷🏼‍♀️

I agree, I also used to compare myself with similar weight people who started around the same time as I did, It has driven me mad in the past that I was losing so slowly compared to others. I have lost 38lbs since surgery and people similar to me have lost up to 60!

However, I am also a realist so I just carry on eating Protein, drinking fluids and walking every day. I am very very grateful that I have lost 38lbs in the last three months as I could not have achieved that on my own, no way!

Keep doing what you are doing, it will work out in the end x

Also, check out the pic below, it tells you what the guidelines are for how much weight is reasonable to lose according to your starting weight.

Edited by Neversaynever

I definitely wouldn’t compare myself to anyone else. Honestly, there are so many factors to weight loss, height, starting weight, weight lost pre surgery, diet/eating plan, gender, medical conditions, hormones, activity levels pre surgery etc etc

You are only up against yourself! If you think you could be doing more to lose weight then discuss it with your doctor or nutritionist. My best tip would be honest with yourself about Snacks and hidden bites. Those really add up! Eye balling mesurements won’t help you either.