Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The hospital just called to tell me my surgery is at 3:30 PM on Monday! I’m so irritated that it is so late in the day. It’s bad enough that I’m so nervous as it is and now I have to sit on Monday waiting for my surgery. Also, right now is that time of the month (ladies) and I am just so irritable in general. I just want to get this over with. Why would he schedule a surgery so late?!! 3:30 isn’t even the time! That’s the time I have to be in the building for pre-admission. SO ANNOYED!

22 minutes ago, E G said:

The hospital just called to tell me my surgery is at 3:30 PM on Monday! I’m so irritated that it is so late in the day. It’s bad enough that I’m so nervous as it is and now I have to sit on Monday waiting for my surgery. Also, right now is that time of the month (ladies) and I am just so irritable in general. I just want to get this over with. Why would he schedule a surgery so late?!! 3:30 isn’t even the time! That’s the time I have to be in the building for pre-admission. SO ANNOYED!

Ok... turn this around and look at the positives. Did they cancel on you? No. Did they reschedule you? Nope. Just take the win where the win is. I get that you don't want to wait any longer and having to wait the whole day seems rough, but, it's better than if they postponed it on you.

Congrats on getting your surgery date!

On the upside, you won't have a long, uncomfortable evening the first night out. By the time you're settled back in your room, it will pretty much be bed time. My surgery was about 1:30 in the afternoon and the long evening (when I couldn't drink anything) was torture.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

Yeah you’re right. I guess it’s just one of those days. Too much stress in one. Also, guess I’m just used to surgeries being done in the morning especially when they tell you not to eat or drink after 12 am

On 08/03/2018 at 14:49, Orchids&Dragons said:

Congrats on getting your surgery date!

On the upside, you won't have a long, uncomfortable evening the first night out. By the time you're settled back in your room, it will pretty much be bed time. My surgery was about 1:30 in the afternoon and I the long evening (when I couldn't drink anything) was torture.

Thank you. How long did you have to wait for the swallowing test after your surgery?

31 minutes ago, E G said:

Thank you. How long did you have to wait for the swallowing test after your surgery?

About 1 o'clock the next afternoon. I was so thirsty I didn't even complain about drinking the radioactive stuff. Wasn't half bad if your'e thirsty enough! Not everyone has to do the leak test. Depends on your surgeon.

38 minutes ago, E G said:

Yeah you’re right. I guess it’s just one of those days. Too much stress in one. Also, guess I’m just used to surgeries being done in the morning especially when they tell you not to eat or drink after 12 am

My drink cut-off was 5 am because of the late surgery. I'll bet they let you drink until 8. Give them a call.

On 08/03/2018 at 15:29, Orchids&Dragons said:

My drink cut-off was 5 am because of the late surgery. I'll bet they let you drink until 8. Give them a call.

The NP that did the pre-testing at my hospital told me I can drink up to 2 hours before the surgery time. I have the paper at home I will look.

I have a reverse annoyance. My scheduled surgery is 7AM, oh fine and dandy you're thinking , lucky Frustr8, she gets it done and over. Now for the downside, I have to be in Columbus at 5 AM, 50 miles away so a healthy hour trip. I don't own a car, I don't drive, who do I know that wants to show up at 3:30-4 AM to transport my thrilled tushhie to Columbus? People my age tend to go to bed early and sleep in. Well since I have more guts than necessary, at least until the Bariatric surgeon gets through with me, I shall announce my problem at my 55th High School Reunion on August 11th. Taxis are out, local company. does start working until,, 5 Am and Lyft and Uber don't believe in us in my little town.

45 minutes ago, E G said:
1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

The NP that did the pre-testing at my hospital told me I can drink up to 2 hours before the surgery time. I have the paper at home I will look.

And tey to stay up late, very late this weekend so you can sleep in very late to kill that time. I would be the same about the time and waiting. My surgery is the 14th. I will find out my time on the afternoon of the 13th. I hope you have a fast recovery. Best wishes

1 hour ago, E G said:

2 hours isn't bad!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

Your surgeon (who is also a person) may need time to:

sleep in from working the graveyard shift (being the on call physician), pay his/her bills, spend time with his/her family (so the job is actually worth it), perform other surgeries, check on other patients, eat lunch, use the rest room, do a yoga session to deal with a stressful job, have office hours, attend conferences, wait his/her turn for OR time, lecture, meet with his/her boss, or even visit his/her own doctor for a wellness check up.

(Just a little perspective)

Safe Journey,

CONGRATS!!!

Edited by GreenTealael

On 08/03/2018 at 17:13, GreenTealael said:

sleep in from working the graveyard shift (being the on call physician), pay his/her bills, spend time with his/her family (so the job is actually worth it), perform other surgeries, check on other patients, eat lunch, use the rest room, do a yoga session to deal with a stressful job, have office hours, attend conferences, wait his/her turn for OR time, lecture, meet with his/her boss, or even visit his/her own doctor for a wellness check up.

Safe Journey,

CONGRATS!!!

Definitely understand all of that. But just some perspective - this was a post for people who can relate to what I am feeling Pre-Op. While all of the above could be true, this was mostly meant for those who can relate and understand my frustration and irritability in the days leading up to my surgery. So while I do appreciate your perspective, it doesn’t really uplift me or make me feel better with the anxiety I am already feeling. But thanks.

On 08/03/2018 at 16:21, Frustr8 said:

I have a reverse annoyance. My scheduled surgery is 7AM, oh fine and dandy you're thinking , lucky Frustr8, she gets it done and over. Now for the downside, I have to be in Columbus at 5 AM, 50 miles away so a healthy hour trip. I don't own a car, I don't drive, who do I know that wants to show up at 3:30-4 AM to transport my thrilled tushhie to Columbus? People my age tend to go to bed early and sleep in. Well since I have more guts than necessary, at least until the Bariatric surgeon gets through with me, I shall announce my problem at my 55th High School Reunion on August 11th. Taxis are out, local company. does start working until,, 5 Am and Lyft and Uber don't believe in us in my little town.
I’m so sorry you’re going through that. I cant imagine the anxiety I would feel if that was me. I hope everything works out well for you. I guess we all just have to deal with the times that we are given.

Good luck to you and I hope all goes well. You got this!!!

11 minutes ago, E G said:
On 8/3/2018 at 5:13 PM, GreenTealael said:

Safe Journey,

CONGRATS!!!

Definitely understand all of that. But just some perspective - this was a post for people who can relate to what I am feeling Pre-Op. While all of the above could be true, this was mostly meant for those who can relate and understand my frustration and irritability in the days leading up to my surgery. So while I do appreciate your perspective, it doesn’t really uplift me or make me feel better with the anxiety I am already feeling. But thanks.

Oh I understand, the alternate perspective was just to provide perspective but now I offer:

Awwww sucks you're not getting the time you prefer, I hope that your time leading up to surgery is peaceful, that your surgery goes smoothly and its TOTALLY worth the wait 🙋