Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No limit on food amount?

My NUT doesn’t give us a certain amount of food to stick to at meal times... I’m seriously afraid to eat because I don’t want to get sick or bust the staple line like I’ve heard of on here. I don’t get a full sensation and I’ve read several different things on what causes hiccups when eating after surgery. I don’t know if this is my signal to stop or not but I also don’t want to push it to find out. Any suggestions? I’m a few days over 2 weeks post op. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, mckenzie said:

My NUT doesn’t give us a certain amount of food to stick to at meal times... I’m seriously afraid to eat because I don’t want to get sick or bust the staple line like I’ve heard of on here. I don’t get a full sensation and I’ve read several different things on what causes hiccups when eating after surgery. I don’t know if this is my signal to stop or not but I also don’t want to push it to find out. Any suggestions? I’m a few days over 2 weeks post op. Thanks!

So measure it out. Start off with a small amount and see if that does anything. Figure out how much is your "max" and work backwards from that. If you find you can only consume 4 cups, then you know not to eat more than 4 cups. Just take it slow and you'll figure it out. The reason they don't tell you how much is because every one and every surgery is different. So if they told you "eat X" and then you did and got sick... you'd be mad. It's one of those "your mileage may vary" type of deals.

Edited by Matt Z

On 07/19/2018 at 11:58, Matt Z said:

So measure it out. Start off with a small amount and see if that does anything. Figure out how much is your "max" and work backwards from that. If you find you can only consume 4 cups, then you know not to eat more than 4 cups. Just take it slow and you'll figure it out.

Thank you! I’m just afraid to hit that max point and get super sick. I’m sure it will get easier with time

Just now, mckenzie said:
2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

So measure it out. Start off with a small amount and see if that does anything. Figure out how much is your "max" and work backwards from that. If you find you can only consume 4 cups, then you know not to eat more than 4 cups. Just take it slow and you'll figure it out.

Thank you! I’m just afraid to hit that max point and get super sick. I’m sure it will get easier with time

The pressure in our pouches is lower than with sleeved folks for whatever reason. But assume that your pouch is the size of a walnut or egg. and work around that for a while. Your full sensation might return. I don't feel full like I expect to, but I get to a point where I'm just "done", I just don't want anymore. Happens at different times for different foods. Don't they still have you on Puree'd foods? Most bypass folks I've seen are on 1 month of puree's to ensure everything is healed up proper.

On 07/19/2018 at 12:03, Matt Z said:

The pressure in our pouches is lower than with sleeved folks for whatever reason. But assume that your pouch is the size of a walnut or egg. and work around that for a while. Your full sensation might return. I don't feel full like I expect to, but I get to a point where I'm just "done", I just don't want anymore. Happens at different times for different foods. Don't they still have you on Puree'd foods? Most bypass folks I've seen are on 1 month of puree's to ensure everything is healed up proper.

We start with a 2 week liquid then 1 week super soft foods and 1 week of soft foods that are more dense in Protein. Then we go to what they call our lifestyle diet that’s regular. I’m on the 3rd week and they gave us a list of recipes or food items when can have and told us not to stray from them at all. They don’t tell us how much to eat they only say to listen to our bodies. It’s hard to listen to your body when it’s not sending signals still.

For some reason, I can't quote or tag you Mckenzie. However, you asked if there are any signs? This is such a GREAT question. I have signs, well before I feel full. My nose starts running when I am full. I've heard some people start to sneeze. It can be hard to identify these when you don't know what to look for. Hope this helps!

On 07/19/2018 at 12:31, AshAsh1 said:

For some reason, I can't quote or tag you Mckenzie. However, you asked if there are any signs? This is such a GREAT question. I have signs, well before I feel full. My nose starts running when I am full. I've heard some people start to sneeze. It can be hard to identify these when you don't know what to look for. Hope this helps!

That’s weird you can’t tag me or quote me... but I think mine may be hiccuping. I’ve noticed it a every time I eat but I wasn’t sure

Yeah, for some reason, quoting and tagging is disabled for me on this post. Anyway.... it could very well be that hiccups are your warning sign. However, hiccups can also be a sign of too much air or eating too fast. So just be mindful of those things.

On 07/19/2018 at 12:35, AshAsh1 said:

Yeah, for some reason, quoting and tagging is disabled for me on this post. Anyway.... it could very well be that hiccups are your warning sign. However, hiccups can also be a sign of too much air or eating too fast. So just be mindful of those things.

I’ve been using my timer on my phone and take 1 bite per minute. I chew slow and play on my phone. I may also get some slight left shoulder pain as well because I ate more than I have since surgery (wasn’t very much still) and I didn’t hiccup but I did get some aching in left shoulder so I stopped and then hiccuped lol. I ate like 1oz or so. So it wasn’t very much.

That's good that you are taking those steps! That's all you can do. Time will tell if hiccups is your sign. Until then, just remember that fluids aren't restricting or filling (in my opinion). At the liquid stages, I drank 3-4 oz 6-8 times per day. I measured it out and kept by that number. If you don't go over the recommended food amount, you should be OK and assured you aren't overeating.

On 07/19/2018 at 12:43, AshAsh1 said:

That's good that you are taking those steps! That's all you can do. Time will tell if hiccups is your sign. Until then, just remember that fluids aren't restricting or filling (in my opinion). At the liquid stages, I drank 3-4 oz 6-8 times per day. I measured it out and kept by that number. If you don't go over the recommended food amount, you should be OK and assured you aren't overeating.

Yeah. I’m on soft foods now. My NUT gave us a list and basically said nothing else except what’s on the list and that we don’t have an amount to stick to just to listen to our bodies. I thought that was really weird that she didn’t give us a portion amount to stick to with us all being so new.

I can take a picture of my packet, if that would help? I had awesome hand-outs that gave amounts and approved food.

On 07/19/2018 at 12:48, AshAsh1 said:

I can take a picture of my packet, if that would help? I had awesome hand-outs that gave amounts and approved food.

That would be awesome! Thank you!

I will do that when I get home tonight :) and your welcome!

When I am full I get one big hiccup. I actually try to stop before that happens.