Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was just curious if your hunger signals change after surgery? So far I haven’t had my traditional hunger pains like stomach growling, just seem to have an empty feeling that is hard to describe? I don’t know if this will change down the road when I’m back on solids or if this is the new normal? Anyone else experience this?

I feel nothing in the way of hunger, and I'm exactly 30 days out. Getting enough Protein and the recommended Fluid is still a daily struggle. I'm not nauseous, I just don't feel interested in food or anything actually. I'm afraid of losing muscle and developing various nutritional deficiencies despite taking all the required supplements.

Losing weight under these conditions is not what I consider ideal.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

On 07/13/2018 at 09:06, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I feel nothing in the way of hunger, and I'm exactly 30 days out. Getting enough Protein and the recommended Fluid is still a daily struggle. I'm not nauseous, I just don't feel interested in food or anything actually. I'm afraid of losing muscle and developing various nutritional deficiencies despite taking all the required supplements.

Losing weight under these conditions is not what I consider ideal.

Thank you for responding! Your right about losing weight under these conditions are less then ideal, I feel like it’s basically starvation at this point! It’s a chore to get all liquids in daily. I am hoping once I get on real food this will get better?

I get the hiccups :)
Earlier in my journey (just after surgery) it was a pressure in my chest too.
Just remember to eat really slowly so your body has time to tell you it’s full- if you don’t you’ll eat too much and feel awful

Once you hit real solids it gets better. Promise :)

On 07/13/2018 at 15:16, BostonWLKC said:

Just remember to eat really slowly so your body has time to tell you it’s full- if you don’t you’ll eat too much and feel awful

Thank you 😊

I get hungry, but not as hungry as before surgery. It can take a few more hours to feel hungry as well. My stomach will grumble a bit still if I’m really hungry.

It can be a challenge to get liquids in for some people for some time, just do your best to drink what you can all day and this will slowly improve with time. I still struggle to get 64 oz in on a daily basis.

Remember, if you were obese before surgery your body has plenty of fat to burn so you will not starve. The point of the surgery is to decrease intake and use fat stores for energy.

On 07/13/2018 at 17:22, KimTriesRNY said:

I get hungry, but not as hungry as before surgery. It can take a few more hours to feel hungry as well. My stomach will grumble a bit still if I’m really hungry.

It can be a challenge to get liquids in for some people for some time, just do your best to drink what you can all day and this will slowly improve with time. I still struggle to get 64 oz in on a daily basis.

Remember, if you were obese before surgery your body has plenty of fat to burn so you will not starve. The point of the surgery is to decrease intake and use fat stores for energy.

Ok, never thought of it that way regarding fat burning! Thanks for your input!

After one month I finally discovered the obvious. I had everything on hand but I wasn't able to get my act together. Fatigue and anemia, what an amazing combo!

I mixed two scoops of unflavored whey Protein Powder and added it to a cup of plain Greek yogurt. It tasted fine completely plain since I like plain yogurt, but I decided to sprinkle in some sugar-free peach Jell-O powder as an experiment. I had second thoughts afterward, though, since artificial sweeteners taste horrible post-surgery. It ended up being okay. No grit. No aftertaste.

Anyway, that's 22g of Protein that I managed to get down without a problem. I thought I'd notice a mealy texture from the protein powder but it blended in smoothly and perfectly.

I also have some Matcha-flavored whey protein powder that might be worth trying in yogurt, too. I haven't opened the container yet so I don't know how it'll work with yogurt.

Report back in when you
do,try and taste it.Sure sounds
very interesting. Keep up your good work, keep posting too. I keep reading them to keep from giving,into the whim wahs at this point. I am excited for this coming. Tuesday to come, but a little voice keeps saying " What if my surgeon doesn't like me?", now my rational mind says that's silly, all I got to be is my best ME.
My motto of the moment
I am wonderful, special, unique so I must live in that manner for I cannot die a copy of anyone else. I must and shall be my best ME, anything else would not be fair to,me!😛smiles🌕sunshine and❤Love everyone!

Thank you for the advice. I am post op 5 days and the day after and on i have had hiccups. I try to get the daily doses of Protein but I am not hungry. I think do my 1/4 cup in 15 minutes and I struggle getting the other 1/4 down. The only way I don't feel pressure in my stomach area or chest is when I suck on popsicles. Is this normal? I go back to the doctor on Wednesday but I don't want to get on the naughty list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app