Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For the first time in eight years, I am a NON-smoker! After I attended the initial seminar for WLS, I decided I had to quit cold turkey or else I knew my surgeon wouldn’t even consider me a candidate. I am in the very early stages of my weight loss journey and decided it was never to early to start preparing myself for gastric bypass. To be honest, it has been much easier than I anticipated and I should have done it years ago (or never started smoking in the first place🙄) but I am so, so terrified that I’ll give in to a craving and waste all my hard work. I’m even more terrified that I’ll have the surgery, and then go back to smoking afterwards and die from an ulcer😳 Are there any other former smokers who have struggled with this anxiety? Any tips or tricks?

Whooohoooooo !!!! I know what an achievement that is. I started smoking at 12 years old and smoked on an off for all the years after. I would go through periods of quitting for a few years but starting again. I have been cigarette free since 2009.

Personally I believe that the true motivator is when you have that ah ha realization at how truly bad smoking is for your body. You are literally killing yourself and knocking years off of your life. The older we get, the worse it is for heart attacks. Would you drink poison? nope. But yet we need to see each cigarette the same way - poison.

Chewing gum helped me. The nicotine Patches helped. The mental associations were the hardest - smoking after eating, after a cup of coffee and those types of things. But the patches took the edge off. Staying away from other smokers is HUGE. I always caved when I would get around friends who smoked - I would be like - just let me bum ONE off of you. That would be my biggest advice - stay away from other smokers

You CAN DO IT! Take charge of your health. We are in control of our future :)

I'm cheering for you!!

No tips or tricks as I quit cold turkey in 1980. I washed the ash trays or tossed them out, with matches and lighters, too. One week later I had a craving, found a cig I'd forgotten about, took one drag and it tasted yuck. I put it out with dripping faucet and it looked so GROSS. That was it. And I avoided being downwind of smokers in social settings, too. It makes me gag today. But wanted to say Congratulations on being smoke-free! Are there other smokers in your home? Don't fear cravings. You can deal with issues as they come up, so don't waste energy fearing the What Ifs. You sound motivated. Give yourself a hug and just keep going forward.

Thank you so much for the support, guys. I’m in the minority because I really don’t even know anyone else that smokes! None of my family or friends do, which makes it a bit easier for me. It also stinks though because, since I hid it from so many people, I have no one to tell that I quit!!😂 That’s why I came here haha I needed a pat on the back, because I’m really proud of myself and feel so great! I can actually breathe, everything tastes and smells so much better, and I’ve saved over $60 in just a week!

O yeah, the money savings adds up fast. In 1980, I had vowed to quit when the cost rose over 50¢ per pack. Other factors were present, too, but it was a total alignment of the planets for me on that one. And I saved $250/year!!

Congratulations- that’s a great accomplishment! I’m sure things will go so much easier for surgery with one less thing to work on then!
Next up... caffeine :). Wicked headaches for abt 2 weeks

On 06/27/2018 at 17:44, BostonWLKC said:

Congratulations- that’s a great accomplishment! I’m sure things will go so much easier for surgery with one less thing to work on then!

Next up... caffeine :). Wicked headaches for abt 2 weeks
Oh no!!! Thanks for reminding me 😂😂 I’m giving up nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, AND FOOD!! Insane haha but 100% worth it for long-term health

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Quitting smoking was the HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE! BUT SO WORTH IT!!! I was a 3 pack a day smoker and honestly had cravings for about 6 months after I quit. I quit in 1991 and didn't have access to Patches or nicotine gum, so I went cold turkey.

What I did to stave off cravings: I filled up an empty jar with cigarette butts & ashes. I kept it tightly sealed in a kitchen cabinet. Every time I craved a cigarette, I would open the jar & put my nose in it & smell it for a good long time. It would somehow curb my cravings & help me to not want a cigarette anymore. It sounds crazy, but it worked for me. I kept that jar for about 6 months.

It's been over 25 years and I have haven't had the desire for another cigarette since. I find them repulsive actually.

Good Luck & you can do it!!!

I quit nearly six months ago, which led me to the decision to pursue this surgery!

While I realize you can never say never, I really don’t *want* to be a smoker. It also helps that I hate the smell of smoke (yet I still get super jealous when I see someone smoking 🙄🙄).

I read a statistic that people who go a year smoke free have a drastically increased chance of never smoking again... so I just keep telling myself I just need to make it to that year.

On 06/27/2018 at 18:30, insta_adventurer said:

I quit nearly six months ago, which led me to the decision to pursue this surgery!

While I realize you can never say never, I really don’t *want* to be a smoker. It also helps that I hate the smell of smoke (yet I still get super jealous when I see someone smoking 🙄🙄).

I read a statistic that people who go a year smoke free have a drastically increased chance of never smoking again... so I just keep telling myself I just need to make it to that year.
I hated the smell of smoke even when I smoked!! I can’t wait to hit the two week milestone, let alone six months! Good for you. Every time I hear someone say that they used to smoke, I feel so proud of them even if I’ve never met them 😂 it is NOT for the weak!

On 06/27/2018 at 18:48, Wishful.shrinking said:

I hated the smell of smoke even when I smoked!! I can’t wait to hit the two week milestone, let alone six months! Good for you. Every time I hear someone say that they used to smoke, I feel so proud of them even if I’ve never met them 😂 it is NOT for the weak!
You will get there! This is legit the first time I ever seriously quit (& hopefully the last, too!) I’m 34 and I smoked for nearly 20 years. 😳😳.

What was crazy is I dreaded quitting for years... and then I did it and after 3 days it got much easier. Beware of the terrible threes. The hardest times for me were 3 days, the third week, and the third month! Also, stay clear of alcohol. Alcohol makes you want to smoke and impairs your decision making to weaken your resolve.

I used a mix of Wellbutrin and the Juul e-cig to quit. However, having to then quit nicotine in the electronic cigarette was another addiction I had to break- so it may be worth your while to vape nicotine free juice if you go that route.

Good luck and you got this! I tell myself I’m not going to let cigarettes or nicotine be the reason why this doesn’t happen, because that would be a lame reason. If I legit do not want to go through with it that’s one thing, but letting cigarettes control my life? No way! Best wishes to you!

On 06/27/2018 at 19:04, insta_adventurer said:

You will get there! This is legit the first time I ever seriously quit (& hopefully the last, too!) I’m 34 and I smoked for nearly 20 years. 😳😳.

What was crazy is I dreaded quitting for years... and then I did it and after 3 days it got much easier. Beware of the terrible threes. The hardest times for me were 3 days, the third week, and the third month! Also, stay clear of alcohol. Alcohol makes you want to smoke and impairs your decision making to weaken your resolve.

I used a mix of Wellbutrin and the Juul e-cig to quit. However, having to then quit nicotine in the electronic cigarette was another addiction I had to break- so it may be worth your while to vape nicotine free juice if you go that route.

Good luck and you got this! I tell myself I’m not going to let cigarettes or nicotine be the reason why this doesn’t happen, because that would be a lame reason. If I legit do not want to go through with it that’s one thing, but letting cigarettes control my life? No way! Best wishes to you!
You’re a doll!! Thank you for the tips. I am 26 and have smoked for 8 years, and I felt the same way about quitting!! I thought it was going to be the worst thing EVER. It really hasn’t been so bad though! I cleaned out and organized and deep cleaned my entire house the first two days just trying to keep busy 😂 my surgeon does nicotine tests, so I chose not to use any quitting aides for fear of prolonging my wait! I just told myself to buckle the hell up and hold on tight, and here I am hahaha. I don’t drink often, but I am dreading that first time out with friends when I know there will be people around that I can bum one off of 😫 that’ll definitely be tough for me.

On 06/27/2018 at 19:25, Wishful.shrinking said:

You’re a doll!! Thank you for the tips. I am 26 and have smoked for 8 years, and I felt the same way about quitting!! I thought it was going to be the worst thing EVER. It really hasn’t been so bad though! I cleaned out and organized and deep cleaned my entire house the first two days just trying to keep busy 😂 my surgeon does nicotine tests, so I chose not to use any quitting aides for fear of prolonging my wait! I just told myself to buckle the hell up and hold on tight, and here I am hahaha. I don’t drink often, but I am dreading that first time out with friends when I know there will be people around that I can bum one off of 😫 that’ll definitely be tough for me.
The good news is I don’t think you can drink booze for awhile after the surgery so hopefully when you are out with them, your resolve is strong!

I live in NY and there are so few places you can actually smoke and hardly any smokers it seems so avoiding opportunities to smoke has been relatively easy. 😂

On 06/28/2018 at 17:43, insta_adventurer said:

The good news is I don’t think you can drink booze for awhile after the surgery so hopefully when you are out with them, your resolve is strong!

I live in NY and there are so few places you can actually smoke and hardly any smokers it seems so avoiding opportunities to smoke has been relatively easy. 😂
I’m in NY too!! Not only has everyone banned smoking near EVERYWHERE, but the cigarettes are also outrageously expensive 😂 mine were almost $13 a pack 😫 I’m so glad to be on the other side of it now

Good for you!! I quit in 2009 after 31 years of smoking. I took Chantix and it really helped. Did have to steer clear of smoking situations for about a year but now it does not affect me if I see someone light up which is not often due to the restrictions on smoking here. Stay strong and say NOPE---Not One Puff Ever!!!