Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery (in 8 Days). Need Advice.

Hello everyone, this is my first time here or any kind of support group for this major step in my life. My surgery is in 8 days! I have found a lot of resistance and negative comments when I talk about it at work or even family. They tell me "just stop eating junk and exercise." Just don't eat too much, don't take the easy way out." A lot of co-workers and friends and even my husband tell me not to do it...But I have tried everything already, this is my last option...just to become healthy and be able to have a normal life again.

Please give me some hints that I can use to get me through this last week and the strict diet I have to follow. I am having a hard time in thinking I won't be able to follow this diet of just liquids for a whole 7 days!...when I'm so use to steak, chicken Etc...

Also what do I tell this people with this type of comments and how do I keep the negativity away?

You will get through the 7 day liquid diet. This is the hardest part in my opinion. Don’t keep temptation around if you can help it. Just know there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

as for the negative people/comments, tell them this is about you, not them & you don’t appreciate the negative comments. Don’t talk to them about the surgery anymore unless they bring it up. And if what they bring up is negative, either don’t respond, change the subject or say you’d rather not have their opinion at this time.

At one point In our lives we have all stopped the junk food, carbs etc. those quick fixes don’t work. It has been proven that weight loss surgery has better long term benefits than dieting. Sure, people can do it without surgery but some of us can’t.

And if next time someone says “it’s the easy way out”, ask them why don’t they walk to work, or sleep on the floor instead of buying a bed; why don’t they cut their own hair instead of going to the salon. We can all do everything ourselves...but sometimes we need a professionals help

Edited by Bryn910

Good luck with your surgery. It is really hard (and a shame) when family isn't supportive.

Suggestions for the liquid diet:

If it's full liquids: In addition to the shakes, add some puree-texture Soups like Tomato, butternut squash, etc. I found that my brain reacted much better to savory flavors. It wouldn't recognize shakes as a meal, but a pureed potato Soup? Yes, it was ok with calling that a meal.

For clear liquids: Eat sugar-free Jello. Don't chew it well. The pieces are slippery enough to get down to your stomach ok, but it takes a while for your stomach to break down the pieces, so you feel "full" for a while.

This really is the hardest part. You just have to keep focused on that carrot at the end of the stick. Good luck!

Hello @Crazy4Charlito congratulations on your upcoming surgery, I am still pre-op, I hope to have surgery in August. I haven’t told a lot of people but the ones that I did tell, before they could get their opinion out I said if you can’t be supportive of my decision then I do not want to here what you have to say, I told them that I’m doing this for my health and to have a better quality of life...they respected my decision and got on board real quick. I’m a pretty private person at work so I only mentioned it to a few people that I am close to and knew they would be supportive. Be strong and it’s your business, you don’t have to tell them anything really.

I wish you all the best 🤗 🌺

Hello everyone, this is my first time here or any kind of support group for this major step in my life. My surgery is in 8 days! I have found a lot of resistance and negative comments when I talk about it at work or even family. They tell me "just stop eating junk and exercise." Just don't eat too much, don't take the easy way out." A lot of co-workers and friends and even my husband tell me not to do it...But I have tried everything already, this is my last option...just to become healthy and be able to have a normal life again.
Please give me some hints that I can use to get me through this last week and the strict diet I have to follow. I am having a hard time in thinking I won't be able to follow this diet of just liquids for a whole 7 days!...when I'm so use to steak, chicken Etc...
Also what do I tell this people with this type of comments and how do I keep the negativity away?
Congratulations on making it this far! My surgery is in 7 days and I am super excited. I know how you feel, when you have to hear the negative views and opinions of others. Don't let them break your spirit though. You are doing this surgery for you and not for them. Many people don't realize that it's not about what you eat that causes the weight gain. Emotions, stress, depression and mental well being contribute to weight as well. If the people that view your choice in a negative light can't be happy and supportive of you, then they obviously don't truly care about you. People that care, can see where you have struggled and will do their best to encourage, support and uplift you on this journey.
I wish you much success on your journey!!!

On 6/17/2018 at 7:46 AM, Crazy4Charlito said:

First and foremost, stop listening to everyone else. Only you can decide what's right for you, no one else. Their inputs don't matter in the greater picture.

You are going to want to start cutting down on anything carbonated, all added sugars, as much fat as you can, as much carbs as you can, and start working on your Water and Protein intake as well as exercising.

Use the surgery as time to change everything you to need to. The liquid diet sucks, but it's a good set up for post op. Just be sure to follow your PCP and surgical teams instructions, never hesitate to call them with questions, ESP if you are having pain! Walk Walk Walk, Drink tons of water and you'll be good to go.

Congrats on your decision, good luck with your pre-op and surgery and here's to a smooth and easy recovery!
Won't those naysayer friends and family be shocked when you start looking fantastic again!

It just blows my mind that people are so negative on WLS
. I also have surgery in 8 days, June 26.
Everyone supports my decision to get the sleeve. Friends, family, and co workers can't wait till I get healthy.
If anyone was negative I would just ignore them. My wife is my support system. She made goal on weight watchers and will be right by me on this new journey.
HANG IN THERE.
This is for you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

And may be the last surgery you ever require in your lifetime. 😷Only surgeons believe,surgeries are good or easy,on people.

Do what makes YOU happy. It really isn’t for anyone to judge, it’s your body and your life. I know people just give their unsolicited opinion but politely let them know you have made a decision that is best for you and your health and walk away. I know easier said than done.

my surgery is June 28th. I have only told a few people because I didn’t want to deal with everybody else’s opinion. I am also worried about the all liquid diet. I have bought Bone Broth, Protein Water and propel water. Keep positive thoughts and think of the end result.

Ill be thinking of you - keep us posted!

My surgery was June 5th, so I’m exactly 2 weeks post-op today. Honestly, the liquid diet has been easy for me. I think a big help was being on the liquid diet + 1 cup of non starchy veggies a day for 2 weeks pre-op. You lose weight, plus have the added bonus of putting your mind on the right path from the being. Wish you all the best...and like everyone said, this is your chance to work on you. Body mind and spirit... and if people are going to be negative and unsupportive, than they aren’t the best people to have in your circle right now!!