Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder/Apple juice cleanse?

Ok so I went and saw my surgeon today and told him I’ve been having severe pain after I eat under my ribs and makes me so sick I have to vomit to feel better and he said I could have gallstones but never gave me any orders to get a HIDAscan done or anything.. I asked my dad and he said my grandmother used to do an Apple juice cleanse followed by Epsom salt to dissolve/pass the gallstones.. has anyone ever tried this? Really don’t want to have to go thru another surgery so soon :-/ my hair just finally stopped falling out and the gas pains from surgery sucks so bad. Help!

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you do this. Do NOT...repeat...DO NOT do this. Talk to your doctor about managing your gallstones. Go get an ultrasound and get a diagnosis, and if you have them...surgery can usually be done outpatient. You don't even have to spend the night in the hospital.

Your witch-doctory could cause your stomach suture line to ulcerate. It's an insane chance to take.

If you read what I posted, I DID go see my surgeon today and he did nothing for me! And my labs came back perfectly fine.. so looking for alternatives.

What you are describing is not an alternative. It is a medical emergency at best, and suicide at worst. (and it doesn't work)

But by all means...physician, heal thyself!

Good luck.

He nor my physician seemed to be too concerned with anything since my blood work came back fine. I saw and spoke with both of them about it today and neither expressed it as a medical emergency or suicide. I only get pain after I eat certain foods so I will just go back to doing a liquid diet for a few days to calm my body down, may not even be my gallbladder at all either.

So I assume you have had more pain since your visit to the doctor? Go back and insist for scans or whatever else would verify it's gallstones or not, and ask to be treated for gallstones.

I can't be a doctor believe a doctor would suggest it could be gallstones but do nothing to find out if it is or not. Be assertive and ask for the relevant test/s.

1. Gallstone flushes are magical thinking. They don't work.

2. For a Sleeve patient to ingest insane amounts of apple juice and EPSOM SALTS is recklessly dangerous and could result in an incision line ulcer or worse.

3. Untreated gallstones can lead to acute pancreatitis or bile duct infection, both of which are potentially deadly.

If your doctor suspects gallstones, you should ask him if he wants to do imaging to confirm the diagnosis.

I really do hope you feel better soon, but ignoring this and playing doctor with it...is extremely ill advised and dangerous.

If you're sick and puking after you eat after sleeve, you need answers, not guesses.

Edited by Creekimp13

Only when I ate my lunch today.. but have been fine since. And my last episode of vomiting was Monday night. And gallstones don’t always show up on ultrasound.. and believe it, cause he did and so didn’t my physician. Funny, when I take tums I feel like 90% better.. so could just be my reflux too.. who knows.. guess I will play it day by day

The Epsom salts make a lovely laxative if that's what you're seeking, the Apple juice only works if you believe the old adage "An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away!" works aboutvascwell as wishing the fat away and we all know how well that worked! Get thyself to an gastroenterologist if surgeon dragging his feet, go to the nearest big or teaching hospital, in my case OSU where I'm going anyway. But ignoring them won't cute them and FYI every gallstone I have ever heard off is radiopaque, spasms might not show up but gallstones are solid and do, even large sand sized. Don't want one in your ducts blocking things. I turned jaundiced the weekend before my removal, had seen the Doctor Thursday, was scheduled for the next Monday. Yellow is not,an attractive shade for people and you almost as crappy as you look.

I had my gall bladder removed 2 months before my sleeve. I had severe pain and suffered a great deal and after 2 ER visits in 5 months, my surgeon suggested removing my gall bladder before the sleeve since things were never going to get better. Nothing dissolves gall stones. If you have an attack once, it’ll happen again and again and eventually you’ll need to have it removed. I did mine as an out patient. It’s a lot simpler than the sleeve. I am happy I did it. I can’t imagine how painful it must be dealing with gall bladder issues at the same time as recovering from the sleeve surgery.

Sorry one more thing. I had 2 ultrasounds and 2 more at each ER visit. Each time my gall bladder seemed to be just fine. It was the gastroenterologist who suggested I have it removed prior to sleeve surgery.

Ok... so for all of you that wanted to know what was wrong with me, I FINALLY got answers today! The same thing happened again to me on June 8... and stopped on June 11.. then again Tuesday so I was sent for an ultrasound.. doctor called me today and told me my gallbladder needed to come out ASAP! So I just scheduled my gallbladder removal surgery for next Thursday! :( ugh I’m a mess over it... hate the feeling from the gas from surgery. Dreading it so much... just excited to be feeling better after it’s gone!

Glad you're getting it resolved. You'll feel a whole lot better.