Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Physical Question (female)

Hello, so I've been wanting to have weight loss surgery for a few years now, but haven't because I've been worried about something...and have felt to awkward to ask anyone over the last few years.

I know that you have to get a complete physical before hand right? My only thing is, I know a complete psychical for a woman includes a pap smear, and pelvic exam, correct? I don't want to get too personal, but I was sexually abused throughout my childhood and I have always turned down these exams in the past as an adult. I know how stupid it sounds, but it's just something I absolutely do not want to go through with.

My question is, do I absolutely need a pap/pelvic exam for weight loss surgery? If I opt out, will my physical exam still be "complete"?

On 06/13/2018 at 21:15, Alee.J said:

Hello, so I've been wanting to have weight loss surgery for a few years now, but haven't because I've been worried about something...and have felt to awkward to ask anyone over the last few years.

I know that you have to get a complete physical before hand right? My only thing is, I know a complete psychical for a woman includes a pap smear, and pelvic exam, correct? I don't want to get too personal, but I was sexually abused throughout my childhood and I have always turned down these exams in the past as an adult. I know how stupid it sounds, but it's just something I absolutely do not want to go through with.

My question is, do I absolutely need a pap/pelvic exam for weight loss surgery? If I opt out, will my physical exam still be "complete"?

I’m not sure bc I haven’t had my pre op appointment. But I wanted to say that I’m sorry you went thru that. Wishing you well. Praying for you!

My annual physical was just blood work and an EEG. My PCP did my physical but my OBGYN does my Pap. No reason to have a Pap for WLS unless you’re already experiencing issue there.

I don’t even think that question came up in my appointments.

They put you through everything thing else imaginable but that was not one of them.

And if it does come up just say your current and everything was clear. As long as everything is fine ofc.

I’m 10 days post-op, And i didn’t have to do a Pap. Your PCP may ask because it’s part of your general annual physical, but you can decline. You can simply say “next time”. As for it being one of the Surgical requirements, it wasn’t in mine. You should be okay. They’ll for sure do blood work, maybe chest X-ray and ekg. But other than that, you should be good.

want a small giggle? Let me preface this by stating I am a widow, have been for 6 years. Interaction between myself and my PCP(maybe 22-23 years my junior):
Doctor(reading from paper)
Tell me-are you still,sexually active?
Me No doctor, but I live daily,in hope.
Thought he might choke, serve him right, he brought the subject,up anyway! I could have asked,him if he was as active as he was in college and medical school, Maybe he was trying,to assess my health status, but,at had little to do,with the,price of tea in China or Beans in Boston.

Nope on gyno exam! I only had blood work, ekg and general physical.

I didn't need one as part of my surgical requirements, but I have had Pcp's who were pretty adamant about getting it done every 2 years. I could see where a PCP might hesitate to provide medical clearance without complete information, but there are plenty who will deem it not relevant and provide clearance. All surgeons will probably ask the date of your last checkup.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was required to have a pap smear and mammogram as part of my pre-op work up. This looks to be very variable -- I'm thinking you could check the surgeon's requirements and look for a surgeon who does not require a pap smear.

I'm so sorry that you were assaulted. I know there are gynecologists and nurse practitioners in some areas who specialize in working with survivors of sexual assault, and I wonder if you might be open to seeing one of them at some point -- not for surgery requirements but just to ensure you are able to get these screenings and protect your health. Healing and happy thoughts to you.

One other thing. While my PCP does the pap test, she doesn't do an actual pelvic exam. I don't know if it's just her, or if times/clinical guidelines have changed. But it's been much simpler (less probing) the past few years compared to when I was younger.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I wasn't required to have one (at least not documentation of one). I think they asked at one of my appointments if I was current w/ my pap and mammogram and I said "yes" but beyond that I didn't have to show anything else. I wouldn't think not having a pap would hold up the surgery unless you had specific issues that they were concerned about.

I just did my pre-op work up this week and no mention of anything gynecological. I've had a few surgeries and was never asked to have a pap as a part of the pre-op work up. There's usually an EKG, Blood work and normal stuff like listen to your chest/heart, check reflexes, eyes, nose, ears. Other than lifting up my shirt to listen to my lungs and to palpate my abdomen, I didn't even get undressed.

I only had blood work, EKG, and a sleep study (in home). They'll do an endoscopy right before my surgery on the day of.

No pap or vaginal exam required for me. It was just a usual check up, blood work, and my PCP wanted to see all pre op testing results ordered by the surgeon.

16 hours ago, Alee.J said:

do I need a pap/pelvic exam for weight loss surgery?

@Alee.J

I did not. - i don't understand why it would have a baring for the WLS. have no idea when

you've had an exam. For health sake, you should/need to have things "checked" out,

if you have WLS or not. (you want WLS for years, i hope you proceed)

I'm so sorry you had this awful sexual abuse. i can't imagine what you've endured. but,

you are a survivor!!

good luck

kathy