Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought I was dying

(I’m 6 months post-op)... So tonight I went out with my boyfriend for dinner, I got a grilled chicken salad.. lettuce has always sat fine with me since I’ve been able to eat it, but chicken has been a whole other story. I was fine for about 15 minutes after I ate some of my salad.. put it in a to-go box and we were on our way home.. I started gasping to catch my breath and got really hot and sweaty. My bf had to pullover so I could get out of the car. I couldn’t puke, just felt like I was trying to catch my breath. I got really weak and dizzy. Finally, I was able to puke (which wasn’t a whole lot) and the pains became even worse. It was so intense, I could have prob had a heart attack and it feel better than I did tonight... he had to blast the air conditioner in the car and laid me on the back seat on my left side.. my mouth was so dry so I sipped some Water and sat up and got dizzy again. My bf got in my bag and got out some tums and made me take them and I puked again.. after that I had to curl up in a ball along the road while it was pouring the rain just so I wasn’t in pain. I don’t know if my body is just rejecting chicken completely or has anyone else experienced this pain and feeling I did tonight that may know what was wrong with me? It’s been about 5 hours now and I feel a little better, but I never want to eat chicken again in my whole life. food poisoning maybe?? Or too soon?? Thought I was dying.. :(

to soon for food poisoning. give your doctor a call on monday. with the number of people they see even rare reactions might be more familiar to them.

hope your feeling better soon

I cannot tolerate white meat chicken at 7 months no matter how much I chew it, and not iceberg lettuce either...I get slimes and it HAS to come up. I avoid them both, who knows if it will change. I eat chicken thighs, and some spring greens, spinach or leaf lettuce, but don't indulge very often.

Your sweating and other symptoms are classic dumping syptoms combined with the intolerance of the chicken. So sorry you had this experience.

Whoa boy- sure sounds like dumping . Maybe ate too fast and too much?

I can’t tolerate chicken of any kind... not anything chicken flavored either.. might have been dumping but I didn’t eat but maybe 1 oz of chicken and I chewed it up very well, hoping I would be able to tolerate it for once. Chicken and eggs are the only things I can’t tolerate after surgery. :-/ I am going to be seeing my dr fri for my 6 month post-op appt so I will bring it up to him then.. just sucks cause I loved chicken before.. but last night I felt like my heart was going to explode

let us know what you find out...

Ok... so for all of you that wanted to know what was wrong with me, I FINALLY got answers today! The same thing happened again to me on June 8... and stopped on June 11.. then again Tuesday so I was sent for an ultrasound.. doctor called me today and told me my gallbladder needed to come out ASAP! So I just scheduled my gallbladder removal surgery for next Thursday! :( ugh I’m a mess over it... hate the feeling from the gas from surgery. Dreading it so much... just excited to be feeling better after it’s gone!

Glad you finally got an answer. Sucks it had to happen so many times before it was figured out. Were you checked pre-op for gallstones? Or did it develop post surgery? Hope you have a speedy recovery from this new surgery and best wishes. Hopefully no mas problemas.!!!

I was checked pre-op for gallstones and I didn’t have any. My Bariatric surgeon is doing my gallbladder surgery too and he said that a lot of bariatric patients develop gallbladder issues and have to have them removed due to a lot of factors like rapid weight loss and acid reflux. Just glad to finally know what was wrong and now we can fix that!

Well,lex2287 the classic pre discovery gall bladder diet is sauerkraut and spareribs, you were just different with your chicken, Don't blame all poultry for that, it's just a shame that fowl treated you foul. Get your surgery and I will pray your story will get better. At least you have only one crabby gall bladder to donate to medical science and he'll never have the chance to hurt you that way again! You are going to be all better soon!

I was reading your post and it was exactly how I felt when I had gallstones. I am glad that you have it figured out. You will feel so much better soon!

Thank you! I really hope so! I’ve read people gain weight after having their gallbladder removed so I hope that doesn’t happen to me!!!

I have been so blessed, I am 14 months out and I am able to tolerate all foods. Haven't had any issue. Goal met at 113 1bs and still eat small amounts. The surgeon has stated I have been so textbook. I am so glad you were able to figure out the problem. Reading everyone's journey has been so amazing to see how it has effected everyone so differently.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app