Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved 2-6 and followed preop thru post op good plan to the T. I’ve only eaten foods that are

Clean and on plan, and only when I’m hungry. Until this weekend. My sons bday party yesterday, I had tiny piece of ice cream cake(4 bites?) and a half slice of

pizza. Then went to a friends house today and had 1 small slice of pizza for dinner(i was starving). I was full and stopped. But now I’m dealing with the “OMG, here we go again” thoughts. Previously, I’m able to sustain a diet for a few months, then it falls apart. Thus far, I’ve found eating appropriately with my sleeve pretty easy. But I have this underlying fear that it won’t last!(therapy tomorrow lol) is it ok to indulge in a few bites of ice cream and a slice and half of pizza so soon?? Ugh

People seem to fall into two camps on this one.

Camp A.....absolutely NEVER cheat! You're flirting with disaster! Tough love...you are going to throw your gift away and you will be sorry. Why would you work so hard to sabotage yourself? What were you thinking?

Camp B....if you can't prove you can set a limit, eat a sane amount of a treat and walk away, food still controls you. You haven't won. Life is about compromise. You should allow yourself to enjoy treats once in a while within reason.

I think there's some wisdom in both of these ideas.

You want to be really careful with foods that can trigger reckless eating. You want it to be your idea to indulge...and not let the food or food situation control you. Too much indulgence can be a slippery slope.

But fundamentally...I'm a Camp B person. I don't usually get my own desert, but I will pretty regularly take a bite or two of my husband's. I eat a truck ton of carbs....but they're not white anymore...everything is whole grain and low glycemic. I let myself have treats, but I try to put thought into it, plan for it...and not do it on impulse anymore.

I try to live with balance. It's tough. Sometimes you fall off the beam. LOL. Just keep getting back on. If you notice a pattern where you are out of control...address it.

Awesome idea to see the therapist for extra examination of this issue:)

Edited by Creekimp13

You overate two days in a row. Forgive yourself but don't overeat a third day in a row. Course correct. You're making so much progress! Good luck. You are not alone.

Thanks for your reply ! Luckily, after a 2 week stall, I’m down 4 pounds! I believe I’m camp B. I want to be. But my OCD brain fights me. I guess a slice of pizza and a couple bites of ice cream are ok on occasion :)

I would like to be Type A, a lot of us in the first flush are. But in most other things in life I'm--- B baby- all the way. So in Bariatrics i expect I'll be the same. Spent too much of my life beating myself up,mentally and emotionally and it gained,me,nothing except disgust and self-loathing. I realize now how counter-productive it is to hate yourself. So I'm learning day by day, I'm pretty cool,and quite worthy of love. And I'm going to reward myself with the Surgical renovations I need to live in this body.Like the flippable houses on HGTV I have "good bones" instead of hauling me off to the dump, I will tear my flawed drywall off, get down to the studs and rebuild myself out. Don't need to sell myself, indeed I don't have to even try to be marketable, I'll just stand firm on my foundation of healthy diet. and good lifestyle practices. And the winds of fattening fast food, sugary Snacks and missing meals will not prevail for I know me, I love me and from now on I'M STANDING STRONG!😛

You have to live your life. There are going to be ups and downs and mistakes. One mistake is to believe you will never eat tempting foods again in your life. It happens, and you just have to do better the next day. Personally, since i wouldve been able to eat 6 slices of pizza before, I dont feel too bad about eating 1/2 or 1 slice of thin crust every now and then. I eat that one and stop. If i want ice cream, i get frozen yogurt instead.

You have to live your life. There are going to be ups and downs and mistakes. One mistake is to believe you will never eat tempting foods again in your life. It happens, and you just have to do better the next day. Personally, since i wouldve been able to eat 6 slices of pizza before, I dont feel too bad about eating 1/2 or 1 slice of thin crust every now and then. I eat that one and stop. If i want ice cream, i get frozen yogurt instead.

I saw my therapist today. She basically said the same thing. I had to look at it as a victory since I didn’t go crazy and binge. And to plan better when eating at friends houses!

I'm honestly baffled by this. You ate a small portion of food, that in total probably had 300 calories in it. You are more than two months out and this doesn't sound like it represents any kind of overeating. Just because you are eating healthier doesn't mean that you are limited to only eating healthy things for the rest of your life. The goal is moderation which it sounds like you are doing, don't try to convince yourself that you did anything wrong or that you "cheated." You ate what you wanted and did it in a way that conformed to your weight loss goals, so congrats.

I'm honestly baffled by this. You ate a small portion of food, that in total probably had 300 calories in it. You are more than two months out and this doesn't sound like it represents any kind of overeating. Just because you are eating healthier doesn't mean that you are limited to only eating healthy things for the rest of your life. The goal is moderation which it sounds like you are doing, don't try to convince yourself that you did anything wrong or that you "cheated." You ate what you wanted and did it in a way that conformed to your weight loss goals, so congrats.

I hear you. But after dieting for a lifetime, I’m paranoid to repeat old habits. “Diet” for a few months, start cheating a little, then bam... full on binge, no diet mode. Although I’ve come so far
Beating my diet mentality, I still have moments:)

People seem to fall into two camps on this one.
Camp A.....absolutely NEVER cheat! You're flirting with disaster! Tough love...you are going to throw your gift away and you will be sorry. Why would you work so hard to sabotage yourself? What were you thinking?
Camp B....if you can't prove you can set a limit, eat a sane amount of a treat and walk away, food still controls you. You haven't won. Life is about compromise. You should allow yourself to enjoy treats once in a while within reason.
I think there's some wisdom in both of these ideas.
You want to be really careful with foods that can trigger reckless eating. You want it to be your idea to indulge...and not let the food or food situation control you. Too much indulgence can be a slippery slope.
But fundamentally...I'm a Camp B person. I don't usually get my own desert, but I will pretty regularly take a bite or two of my husband's. I eat a truck ton of carbs....but they're not white anymore...everything is whole grain and low glycemic. I let myself have treats, but I try to put thought into it, plan for it...and not do it on impulse anymore.
I try to live with balance. It's tough. Sometimes you fall off the beam. LOL. Just keep getting back on. If you notice a pattern where you are out of control...address it.
Awesome idea to see the therapist for extra examination of this issue:)

Don't torture yourself when you fall off. Get back up and go on. NOBODY IS PERFECT.

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for your reply ! Luckily, after a 2 week stall, I’m down 4 pounds! I believe I’m camp B. I want to be. But my OCD brain fights me. I guess a slice of pizza and a couple bites of ice cream are ok on occasion [emoji4]

I am too afraid of a sugar dump so I'm not tempted right now to eat anything with sugar or even Pizza Crust. My only fear with this surgery was that people talked about how they threw up a lot. I couldn't even help my kids when they were little and throwing up I was right in there with them and it wasn't pretty. I have found substitutes for pizza crust and bread. I'm using cauliflower rice to make rice, grilled cheese sandwiches, and as a snack.

Smoothies with frozen fruit and Protein Powder are awesome. Helps me get my 60 grams of Protein every day. Vitamin has saved me!

I hear you. But after dieting for a lifetime, I’m paranoid to repeat old habits. “Diet” for a few months, start cheating a little, then bam... full on binge, no diet mode. Although I’ve come so far
Beating my diet mentality, I still have moments:)

I am terrified to eat my first serving of Peanut Butter - that was one of my binge foods. I know, however, that I won't be able to eat much. My stomach gets full now. It didn't before surgery. I feel like my brain has been rewired by the surgery - that's a good thing

On 5/2/2018 at 7:57 PM, Katherine thompson said:

I am terrified to eat my first serving of Peanut Butter - that was one of my binge foods. I know, however, that I won't be able to eat much. My stomach gets full now. It didn't before surgery. I feel like my brain has been rewired by the surgery - that's a good thing

Have you tried making Peanut Butter from the dried peanut powder? While its definately not the high fat peanut butter you may be used to I've found it gives me my PB fix (and helps reduce the sweetness of my Protein shakes).

My doctor had a light bulb comparison. If you eat clean, your light bulb is always shinning bright. If you have a treat here and there, it might dim a bit, bit you are still good. It’s even better if you go out and walk or workout afterwards, and that will make up lightbulb good as new. If you cheat day in and day out, you might eventually need a new lightbulb, meaning a new start or a good look at your food choices. It makes sense to me. He is totally in the camp of everything in moderation, but as others have said, you might have trigger foods or not be able to control your limits. That means that everything in moderation is different for all of us.

Height: 5’6
Starting BMI: 37
VSG: 4/16/18
Starting Weight: 241
Surgery Weight: 229
Current Weight: 213 (17 days post op)
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR