Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to vent -- post op sleeve

Sorry but I need to vent today!! I was at the doctor's for my 6 month post op visit. Since surgery I have lost a total of 90 pounds. That is 90 pounds of hard work!!! Prior to seeing the doctor, I met with his assistant and a dr in training. As I was discussing progress, etc with the assistant, he turned to the dr in training and made a comment that "she JUST had the sleeve" done. Of course I asked what was meant by that comment. He quickly replied that if I would have had a bypass I would have lost more weight. Really!!! I went through all the pre op crap -- including liquid diet that a bypass patient would do. I went through surgery and spent two days in the hospital. I have totally changed the way I am living and I HAVE LOST 90 POUNDS in 6 months. Not a happy camper that I was told that I "just had the sleeve" done. I was a part of the decision as to what type of surgery I did and I do not regret my decision about the sleeve. It is working for me. Very frustrated with the comment. At least the surgeon was far more positive and supportive!! He told me that he was proud of me. :D Thanks for letting me vent!! Such a frustrating situation today.

I had the sleeve as well and I think you are reading into those comments something that wasn’t intended. From an objective perspective these surgeries are on a continuum with the expectedly weight loss and complexity of the surgery increasing as you get to the RNY and DS side. That doesn’t diminish our weight loss or mean that one surgery is better. All that matters is whichever is the best surgery for us.

41 minutes ago, Catden said:

Sorry but I need to vent today!! I was at the doctor's for my 6 month post op visit. Since surgery I have lost a total of 90 pounds. That is 90 pounds of hard work!!! Prior to seeing the doctor, I met with his assistant and a dr in training. As I was discussing progress, etc with the assistant, he turned to the dr in training and made a comment that "she JUST had the sleeve" done. Of course I asked what was meant by that comment. He quickly replied that if I would have had a bypass I would have lost more weight. Really!!! I went through all the pre op crap -- including liquid diet that a bypass patient would do. I went through surgery and spent two days in the hospital. I have totally changed the way I am living and I HAVE LOST 90 POUNDS in 6 months. Not a happy camper that I was told that I "just had the sleeve" done. I was a part of the decision as to what type of surgery I did and I do not regret my decision about the sleeve. It is working for me. Very frustrated with the comment. At least the surgeon was far more positive and supportive!! He told me that he was proud of me. :D Thanks for letting me vent!! Such a frustrating situation today.

Hope the vent made you feel better. You are doing great. Your surgeon is proud of your work! way to go.

she just had the sleeve? could have been misinterpreted or he may be a &ick...who knows...lol

There will always be negative people in life. They feel the need to bring people down to feel better about themselves. Invest your time in the supportive loving people around you. Build yourself and others up! Be a positive energy in life.

Sorry but I need to vent today!! I was at the doctor's for my 6 month post op visit. Since surgery I have lost a total of 90 pounds. That is 90 pounds of hard work!!! Prior to seeing the doctor, I met with his assistant and a dr in training. As I was discussing progress, etc with the assistant, he turned to the dr in training and made a comment that "she JUST had the sleeve" done. Of course I asked what was meant by that comment. He quickly replied that if I would have had a bypass I would have lost more weight. Really!!! I went through all the pre op crap -- including liquid diet that a bypass patient would do. I went through surgery and spent two days in the hospital. I have totally changed the way I am living and I HAVE LOST 90 POUNDS in 6 months. Not a happy camper that I was told that I "just had the sleeve" done. I was a part of the decision as to what type of surgery I did and I do not regret my decision about the sleeve. It is working for me. Very frustrated with the comment. At least the surgeon was far more positive and supportive!! He told me that he was proud of me. [emoji3] Thanks for letting me vent!! Such a frustrating situation today.

All I can say is.. haters gonna hate. You have done such a miraculous job! Don’t give up. You’re amazing and an inspiration!!! [emoji177]

Let me give you another vent-able. Back when I first met ex-surgeon, yeah the one who kicked me to,the curb, dang his dirty soul. He had me lie back on his table and expose my belly so he could palpate it, guess that way he got a idea if I had anything that would bar a laprascopic approach, well,that was sorta OK. He then turns to his junior doctor who was following around and said "I just read her paperwork and she's gynecologic intact". This insult meant he was making fun of me for NOT having a hysterectomy. Now explain how that surgery would make me more worthy,to have a sleeve or a RnY bypass? And they both laughed at his little joke. Now I wish I had kneed or kicked his manparts so HE would be the one needing surgery. Yeah I probably won't have, it might have been nasty and revengeful, but with the way things turned out, I should have. I believed in him and he trampled my plans into the dust. But you know what? I'm still going to have my victory, get my surgery and mentally say,nah nah on You![emoji2]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I dunno...I wouldn't take that as an insult at all.

It's sort of a akin to saying.....She just had a tonsillectomy, she didn't have her tonsils and adenoids removed. They're just quantifying the facts.

Fact...RNY patients lose more and lose faster. (Typically)

Fact...RNY patients have more issues with malabsorption and dumping. (Typically)

Fact....ya picked what ya picked. I chose to *just* be sleeved, too:)

I think you're assigning more meaning than was intended. Very likely had nothing to do with you or your progress (which is excellent)..... and everything to do with the statistics as they relate to expected progression after both surgeries.

Meh...if it were me...I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think 90 is an awesome loss! Nice work!

They also could have been implying.....Wow, that's a terrific loss for someone who JUST had sleeve and not full bypass.

For all you know, the previous patient could have been someone who had full bypass who wasn't losing as much as you are and they found it a bit surprising and impressive.

So many, many possibilities.

When in doubt...try to remember....doctors are typically too absorbed in the science of the cases.... to make a personal slight, or even imply one. There would be no benefit from them behaving this way, since they know patients (particularly bariatric patients) can be mood swinging and sensitive. It would cause headaches for them that they don't want and genuinely do try to avoid.

Two sides to this. One piece is that the assistant is correctly telling the baby doctor that the procedure you had done is not the more complicated procedure, and that's why your weight loss is not the same as what would be expected after a full bypass. That's just accurately informing the baby doctor as to the medical variables in this case.

THAT SAID, while the assistant is teaching the baby doctor in an acceptable way when it comes to outlining the medical particulars of the situation, he is failing miserably at modeling bedside manner. He's talking like he's in a lecture room discussing a case, rather than standing in front of a patient who can bloody well hear him. And that's pretty poor form, and not doing the baby doctor any favors.

Go ahead and tell your surgeon about this. The surgeon does not want pissed-off patients in his practice because his assistant is treating them like a powerpoint slide rather than a human. The assistant needs to hear that feedback and adjust the way he's teaching his charges when interacting with patients.

Edited by sideeye

I agree with @sideeye on this one. But you have def 'owned' the sleeve by losing 90 lbs....great job.

90 pounds is an amazing amount of weight to loose! People need to remember to "BE KIND" or F*** off. Congratulations to you!!!!!

Great job on your 90lbs loss, and your total weight loss of 141lbs since you started with more to go, there is nothing to hold your head down about that achievement, keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, sideeye said:

The surgeon does not want pissed-off patients in his practice

The surgeon won't care if you're pissed off over nothing. If you're that easy to offend and upset....they'd rather be out from under you and will actively hope that you leave and never come back. Doctors have enough headaches without thin skinned patients, and they don't suffer fools gladly.

Just the truth.

If you're constantly looking for ways to portray yourself as a victim...you will always be a victim.

Edited by Creekimp13

As a nurse for 30 years, I can tell you that not all healthcare professionals have the best bedside manner. During my clinical, while observing a surgeon doing a nose job, he pointed to my nose and said "I can fix that". I hadn't asked BTW. Also had another doctor whom I asked about excess facial hair tell me I should have picked my ancestors better. WTH!? Also, spent 2 years after getting a degree in medical school (unfinished due to divorce) and as a 42 year old student in a class of 20 something's, I can tell you that brilliance doesn't equal compassionate. It isn't an age thing by any means, but some have a god complex, some are socially awkward, and some just don't care. I think that is why the forums are such a good thing. As long as your team is competent, and since your surgery is already done, just ignore comments that make you feel bad. Also keep in mind, if training residents, a doctor may say things that sound insulting, but may be a teaching point. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app