Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Sleeved Monday 03/19/18

Hi everyone. I am scheduled for surgery this coming Monday and it is really starting to hit me. Throughout this process and research, I didn't have any fear, but now that is coming down to the wire, I am a tad nervous.

I have watched many videos of peoples experiences and they vary. I have a few questions.

- Do they insert a catheter?

- Waking up from surgery, how bad is the pain ?

- Am I really going to not want to eat the first few weeks? I have read some people become hungry in the liquid phase.

- Men, typically how much did you lose the first two weeks.

Thank you in advance who read this and will respond.

Hi, I had my surgery on the 13/3 so only a few days ago.
I did not have a catheter, but that doesn't mean u won't.

Waking up from surgery the pain wasn't bad in fact I was so out of it and I just slept. I was in more pain the day after due to gas and the heavy pain meds wearing.

I'm only a few days out and can't help much but I can say right now I'm not hungry and I have to force myself to eat.

And I can't answer this yet because I'm a man and also it's early days.

Good luck with everything.

4 minutes ago, clo_doe said:

Hi, I had my surgery on the 13/3 so only a few days ago.
I did not have a catheter, but that doesn't mean u won't.

Waking up from surgery the pain wasn't bad in fact I was so out of it and I just slept. I was in more pain the day after due to gas and the heavy pain meds wearing.

I'm only a few days out and can't help much but I can say right now I'm not hungry and I have to force myself to eat.

And I can't answer this yet because I'm a man and also it's early days.

Good luck with everything.

Thank you for the reply and good luck with you too.

hey buzz, no catheter here.

no pain on waking but slept till 1030 pm day of surgery(early am surgery) best dam day of sleep i'd had in years

had no desire to eat for first 5 weeks but that varies hugely from reading forums.

i lost 22 pounds the first 2 weeks but i seem to be outside of bell curve on that.

good luck hope everything goes well for you

Edited by allwet

No pain when I woke up except a sore throat. No catheter. I was very out of it and I slept on and off comfortably till the next day (I had morphine in my IV..hehe). They will not want you to be in pain. The nurses will be bothersome if you just want to sleep though. They come in and out of your room ...what seemed like every hour or so. They come in to make you get up and walk, to make you use a spirometer, to go to the bathroom, take blood, see how you're doing, status..etc. Ugh. I wanted to lock my door. LOL

This is gonna be long. Had surgery on 3/7/18. Went smooth per the doctor. No catheter, nurse said they don’t use them on such a fast surgery. When I woke no pain from the breathing tube luckily. What I do remember is being told to breathe because my respiratory rate was hanging between 8-13. Once out of recovery I was moved to my room.

Went on my first walk about 3 hours out of surgery. It really helped and caused me to burp a lot (get that gas out). Went on a second walk which got me to pee which made the staff happy. I walked a few times through out the night. Had killer dry mouth and they gave my glycerin lemon swabs to help. I went through at least 10 packs.

Next morning had first sips of Water starting at 6am. I had to drink an oz over 30 min for a total of 6oz. Went for a walk around 7 and finally passed gas. I sounded like ducklings in the hall and was laughing. Released around 11:30am. Was it really in much pain at the hospital as they kept the pain going in the IV.

At home the pain was not horrible, more discomfort. Stopped takin the liquid liquid hyrdocordone/Tylenol on Friday the 9th. My nurse said take some extra strength Tylenol if I have pain. Taking my Vitamins and meds per the doc. Finally had a BM on Sunday morning. I would feel a bit of pain sitting and standing up as well as rolling over at night in bed. Today on day 7 (my doctor called going home day 0) I woke up and rolled over and no pain. I rolled back and still no pain. I was like huh, so I sat up and stood and again no pain. It was like literally my body was done with it. Have never had that happen ever but have felt great today, even walking 25 minutes around the neighborhood. Best advice I can give is to walk as it helps the blood circulation which helps the healing process.

Now let’s get to eating. I have not really had hunger in this last week. I have to remind myself to take water that I installed the WaterMinder app on my phone. First 3 days I had Isopure Protein and water. Now on full inquisition diet and have a premiere Protein Shake in the morning and evening. I tried yogurt for the first time yesterday and ate half over 45 minutes and had the other half today. Also had progresso light Soup strained out all the potatoe and veggies, had half on Sunday and the other half Tuesday. Went out for dinner with family on Saturday night. My wife said she felt horrible because I could not eat but I was fine with my water. The water really keeps me full. I’m keeping a food diary and counting the calories and have an intake between 350-450 a day.

And lastly weight loss. My weight on suergey day was 306. Today my weight was at 292. I’m only a week in but am going to take advantage of the “Honeymoon Stage”.

Best advice I can give in this early stage is to make sure you get in your protein and water as best as you can and walk.

Sorry for the long post and good luck on your surgery.

Hi everyone. I am scheduled for surgery this coming Monday and it is really starting to hit me. Throughout this process and research, I didn't have any fear, but now that is coming down to the wire, I am a tad nervous.
I have watched many videos of peoples experiences and they vary. I have a few questions.
- Do they insert a catheter?
- Waking up from surgery, how bad is the pain ?
- Am I really going to not want to eat the first few weeks? I have read some people become hungry in the liquid phase.
- Men, typically how much did you lose the first two weeks.
Thank you in advance who read this and will respond.

I am being sleeved on the 19th as well and I’m so excited. Nerves are starting to kick in. liquid diet has been a rollercoaster but I’m getting through it. I know pain threshold differs between people but I’ve had 5 kids and mentally I feel like that is what’s gonna hey me through the pain lol. I know I’m not suppose to compare my progress to my husband. He was sleeved in Sept and he’s doing amazing. I’m just blessed that I have him by my side

Catheter -- yes, for about 24 hours.

Pain upon waking -- no. I just kept floating in and out. I'm told it took me 2 hours to wake up. I remember being happy that surgery actually happened.

I'm 2 days out, no hunger yet. Thirst was an issue the first day.

Edited by Apple203

Thank you everyone for sharing your personal experiences with me. I will check in after my surgery when I get back home hopefully Tuesday. Have a great weekend.

13 hours ago, nenes78 said:

This is gonna be long. Had surgery on 3/7/18. Went smooth per the doctor. No catheter, nurse said they don’t use them on such a fast surgery. When I woke no pain from the breathing tube luckily. What I do remember is being told to breathe because my respiratory rate was hanging between 8-13. Once out of recovery I was moved to my room.

Went on my first walk about 3 hours out of surgery. It really helped and caused me to burp a lot (get that gas out). Went on a second walk which got me to pee which made the staff happy. I walked a few times through out the night. Had killer dry mouth and they gave my glycerin lemon swabs to help. I went through at least 10 packs.

Next morning had first sips of Water starting at 6am. I had to drink an oz over 30 min for a total of 6oz. Went for a walk around 7 and finally passed gas. I sounded like ducklings in the hall and was laughing. Released around 11:30am. Was it really in much pain at the hospital as they kept the pain going in the IV.

At home the pain was not horrible, more discomfort. Stopped takin the liquid liquid hyrdocordone/Tylenol on Friday the 9th. My nurse said take some extra strength Tylenol if I have pain. Taking my Vitamins and meds per the doc. Finally had a BM on Sunday morning. I would feel a bit of pain sitting and standing up as well as rolling over at night in bed. Today on day 7 (my doctor called going home day 0) I woke up and rolled over and no pain. I rolled back and still no pain. I was like huh, so I sat up and stood and again no pain. It was like literally my body was done with it. Have never had that happen ever but have felt great today, even walking 25 minutes around the neighborhood. Best advice I can give is to walk as it helps the blood circulation which helps the healing process.

Now let’s get to eating. I have not really had hunger in this last week. I have to remind myself to take Water that I installed the WaterMinder app on my phone. First 3 days I had Isopure Protein and water. Now on full inquisition diet and have a premiere Protein Shake in the morning and evening. I tried yogurt for the first time yesterday and ate half over 45 minutes and had the other half today. Also had progresso light Soup strained out all the potatoe and veggies, had half on Sunday and the other half Tuesday. Went out for dinner with family on Saturday night. My wife said she felt horrible because I could not eat but I was fine with my water. The water really keeps me full. I’m keeping a food diary and counting the calories and have an intake between 350-450 a day.

And lastly weight loss. My weight on suergey day was 306. Today my weight was at 292. I’m only a week in but am going to take advantage of the “Honeymoon Stage”.

Best advice I can give in this early stage is to make sure you get in your Protein and water as best as you can and walk.

Sorry for the long post and good luck on your surgery.

Thank you so much for this long post. This has given me a better idea of what I can expect in the hospital and right after. Best of luck to you on your journey.