Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12/13 surgery. Feeling a bit depressed.

I just had my surgery. Home less than a day and I am feeling very strange. Kinda like “What have I done? I’m going to fail.” I was so ready for this, but backslid on my preop diet what if I can’t stay with this? My head is not clear Arghh!

a lot of us go through that "what have I done" stage right after surgery. It'll pass pretty quickly. As for failing, if you stick to your program, you won't fail.

I'm about three and a half weeks post-op; definitely had those feelings right after surgery. I even get them occassionally now, but seeing the scale move in the right direction, my clothing is already fitting better - even wearing stuff that used to be too tight before, and getting down and playing with my kids, really makes me remember why I did this in the first place :) Wishing you the best of luck!

Surgery can be a bit of a shock to the system, but it does get better. Just not overnight. It took 6 months before I reached my happy state when all the problems seemed to melt away.

Keep your chin up and moving forward, it's the only way any of us can face our fears. We all have them. And you will now face them in better health. Good luck, it gets better as you recover and learn about your body and sleeve. Keep us posted.

My surgeon said in a seminar that about once a week he has a patient in tears at the hospital after surgery saying they have regrets. And they always feel better after a few weeks. it's a very emotional time, and the hormone swings of the big physical changes don't help. It's very common. Just do your best. it's all anyone can ask of you.

You just had surgery. Be kind to yourself. If you still have a hard time Utube Kristen Neff or Brene Brown for a little inspiration.

Take a deep breath and give yourself some grace. Holidays and surgery are the perfect combination for doubts and the blues. You've got this! I'll bet you that you will be so happy in a month (or less!)

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 172.8 GW 135

I am 12 days post op and have that feeling everyday. I'm doing great physically. I have no hunger or cravings. I hate the Protein Shakes and cant wait to move onto pureed stage ( Tuesday!!). I still feel a little down or depressed because this is my favorite time of year and I can't do all my favorite things. I am so tired All.the.time. I just can't keep up anymore. Just know .. this to will pass. These 6 weeks of no real food or energy will only be a small blip in the scheme of things.We will lose weight. We will eat real food again and doing that will help with depression and energy levels. We will get through this. Hang in there and know you will do great.

You are not alone. My depression has been a little worse since surgery, too. This is a huge lifestyle change and I think it's only natural for your emotions to be fluctuating. We'll get through this though!