Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How important is exercise?

Hi all,

First post time. For background, I have an initial consult on Jan. 3 because the coverage for weight loss services doesn't kick in until the new year, so that will be considered my official kickoff. I had an unofficial consult with the same doctor a month ago as a favor to my PCP, knowing I had no bariatric coverage at the time, so I've already had the recommendation for the gastric sleeve. Given the three month supervised diet requirement, that would put me into at April at best, and considering I want to be available for my daughter's college graduation at the end of April, I figure I won't be having any surgery until mid-May at best.

But here's my real issue: I can't exercise. Physically, I'm a wreck, head to toe, and I mean that literally. I've got a bad neck, arthritis (frozen shoulder) in both shoulders, bad lower back, one bad knee plus every problem imaginable with my feet short of athlete's foot, including bone spurs, previously broken bones and plantar fasciitis. So I'm not kidding when I say any attempt at extended physical exertion usually ends in severe pain or injury. I can walk for maybe 15 minutes at a time, far less than the recommended 30-45 I've seen discussed. Sit-ups and weights are off-limits. I used to be able to use an elliptical to some success but that just getting harder and harder.

So, the question is, just how much will my lack of ability to exercise affect my weight loss? I'd like to hope that exercise will become easier when I don't have to lug as much weight around, but right now, and until I drop a good chunk of weight, it's pretty much out of the question.

(And since I'm new here, if this is not the appropriate forum for questions at this stage, please direct me to the proper one.)

Thanks!

Welcome! The forum you've chosen is correct.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have no physical problem, but so far have been just too lazy to start exercising.

I'm 7.5 months postop with a sleeve. I'm 39 year old female. And I've lost 100lbs. (I still have about 50 to get to goal).

So, long story short, you absolutely can/will lose weight without exercise. Will you get to goal? I don't know. But at least I'm proof that a person can lose a substantial amount.

Now, my metabolism is higher than most, and if yours is slower, then you'll have slower results. A good indication of the weight you'll lose postop is how well you can lose preop. I lost 16 pounds on a strict liquid diet in the month before the surgery.

I would say that exercise is crucial in the long run but with such restricted calories in the weight loss phase, you can do without as far as weight loss goes. But, exercise can only help. What about Water? Water walking, jogging, water fitness classes. All are low to no impact and so good for circulation.

Nothing wrong with walking only 15 minutes at a time, either.

A year out and I've had no REAL exercise. I live in NYC and don't own a car and can't drive so i have to take public transportation and walk everywhere. I lost 100lbs and am in a size 8 roughly. I have a bad, BAD back (scoliosis, 4 herniated disks, arthritis in my hips and lower back, chronic back pain, fibro... its a long list and growing, so i can relate on some level). I go to physical therapy and walk as much as i can but it only started happening once the weight came off. Your calories are so reduced i wouldn't worry too much about exercise. You're going to lose weight with or without it i feel. If you have the strength and energy, do what you can. It'll be beneficial in the long run for keeping the weight off, which is what I'm going to do since im getting closer to my goal.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow, Torriluv, you do have it bad. My wife has three herniated discs from an accident back in December and she's finally having surgery for it in two weeks then will have lumbar surgery once she's recovered from that. Plus my son has fibro which manifested right around his twelfth birthday so I know how bad that can be. He's a college freshman now and has it mostly under control. Then there's my daughter, a college senior, who's never had a single health problem in her life and is afraid to come home lest the curse strike her too...

I think what I'm most afraid of during the pre-surgical dieting and post-surgical restrictions is a lack of energy. I can get winded climbing a flight of stairs now, so I wonder what it will be like with little caloric intake and essentially living off of my body's stored fat.

As for Water, I'm ashamed to admit there are times when I've avoided drinking water because I know I'd have to get up to go to the bathroom and I didn't want to have to get up to walk anywhere.

My energy levels went up and down a lot postop. The body, once it gets into fat-burning mode, is actually very efficient, and you don't feel tired from lack of calories. You DO feel tired from having just had major surgery.. but not necessarily every minute of every day.

I was SUPER winded for the first couple months doing things that wouldn't have made me winded before. So, yes.. things can be tough with that. And walking is important for the recovery.. it helps rid the body of the gas they use in surgery, and helps prevent blood clots. Frequent little walks are more important than long distance ones.

Pain management should be an issue you bring up with your team so you can remain as mobile as possible postop.

Weight is lost in the kitchen... weight loss is about the diet.

Now exercise is for heart health and building muscle so it's a great thing to add, I'm a huge exercise proponent. But you can lose weight without it.

25 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Weight is lost in the kitchen... weight loss is about the diet.

Now exercise is for heart health and building muscle so it's a great thing to add, I'm a huge exercise proponent. But you can lose weight without it.

This. The only real concern with lack of exercise regarding these surgeries is the alarming loss of muscle that can happen.

I always say if you want to be thin, eat healthy. If you want to be fit? Exercise and eat healthy.

You really don't have to kill yourself with exercise, either. Any little bit helps.

@elforman My "blackout" surgery period is for the one week my son's college graduation, fwiw

My surgical team pushed me to build a consistent exercise regimen that had me walking 4 or 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes. It helped me a lot after surgery because I was limited in my movement due to surgical pain and craved to get outside and walk. I am 31 years old and didn't and don't have a lot of movement restrictions though. Your surgical team will likely work with you to find some form of exercise that you can do with limited pain. It may be something you do while sitting on your couch until you are able to do more. It doesn't have to be walking or weight lifting.

Exercise is key, imo, for long term success. Have you considered swimming...? It's low impact, and can be great for people with joint issues. And, well, everyone else, too...

10 hours ago, Brandeis said:

Exercise is key, imo, for long term success. Have you considered swimming...? It's low impact, and can be great for people with joint issues. And, well, everyone else, too...

I wish swimming was an option. Unfortunately lifting my arms over my shoulders is rather painful, as is trying to walk against the Water with a bad back. The last time I used the pool over the summer I was in pain for two days afterward.

I feel for your mobility issues. However you may find some things more tolerable after some weight loss. There are exercises you can do sitting and you may want to check for exercise videos for people in wheelchairs using resistance bands, etc.

Question: do you consume carbonated beverages and caffeine? My arthritis was greatly improved after stopping both those things.

21 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Question: do you consume carbonated beverages and caffeine? My arthritis was greatly improved after stopping both those things.

Gave up both for about three months, didn't seem to have any effect besides me sleeping through early morning meetings. But now I still limit myself to two cups of coffee before noon and I only have non-caffeined carbonated drinks with dinner.

Losing gets harder the smaller you get without exercise. It took me a lot of exercise with the band to get to 150. I probably ate too much though. I am hoping the sleeve helps in that department.