Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got my FMLA paperwork to complete before my surgery. I'm a bean counter and basically spend my days glued to my desk. I also moonlight as a waitress on Saturday nights. I'm guessing that it will take me longer to get back to working at the restaurant. For my regular job I'm thinking if I'm having surgery on a Tuesday that I could possibly go back the following Monday...6 days?? How long were you out of work and what industry are you in?

Thanks [emoji16]

I am not working right now, which is one reason I did it now. But, I cannot imagine going back at 6 days. I wasn't home until the morning of day 4. I was also told not to lift anything over a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. That would be hard to stick to while waitressing.

Hey there! So from what I understand recommended leave time varies from surgeon to surgeon and is also largely dependent on the person themselves/how surgery & recovery go. I work in customer service, a desk job, and my surgeon recommends 6-12 weeks leave even with the desk job. However I think 6 weeks would be pretty standard at the earliest. Your body is healing and adjusting, don't rush it. I would suggest talking to your surgeon about their recommendation and then playing it by ear. If you and your doctor think you could go back sooner then great, but if you need more time don't be afraid to embrace that too! Hope I helped :)

From surgery day to back to work on day 8 post-op. You have to walk a lot anyway might as well work and take walking breaks. I have a part time desk job and hear I should be okay. I plan I taking it easy and being careful. I can’t even take 2 weeks never mind 6 or 12. I think that’s for heavy lifting jobs or a real active and full time careers. God bless those who can take more time to recover.

I had planned to go back to work at 6 days post op, but I was so tired and was just not ready. I did work half time at 9 days and was back to work full days at 2 weeks. My job is pretty active.

It's amazing the different ranges of time taken off from person to person. I have one more appointment with the surgeon next week...I'll definitely have the talk. I definitely think that I have underestimated the healing time

Got sleeved on a tuesday fully expecting to be outpatient but ended up staying in the hospital for two nights. No complications just pain and overall crappiness. Still, was back at work on monday for my desk job so go figure :)

I planned 4 weeks, but took three weeks. Could have gone back after two. Its important to take the time you need so plan for more but if you can go back early - then do that. Its hard to know how your body will react. I was active as soon as I came home from the hospital, but would fatigue throughout the day.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

I think going back to work that Monday is in the realm of possibility. All depends on how you react to the anestesia. I am 3 days post op and I could see going back to work Day 6 or Day 7 IF I had a desk job, which you said you do. If you were a construction worker, or a welder or something, I would say take another week.

13 hours ago, Tanyatata said:

I'm a bean counter and basically spend my days glued to my desk. I also moonlight as a waitress on Saturday nights.

What a coincidence, I am somewhat of a bean counter myself. Spreadsheets all damned day. I took two weeks off and in hindsight I wish I had taken 3. The first week you are home, you are going to have a pain ball and a drain. Your follow up appointment is usually a week post op. You will not want to go back before that just because of the stuff hanging off you. After those are removed, barring any minor complications you could probably go back then. But you will be a zombie. I remember the day after I had the pain ball removed, I actually fainted like a dame in a old black & white movie. Not fun at all. I also had a hematoma which was nasty. Nothing serious, just gross.

I was on blood pressure medicine at the time and man can that stuff make you feel like crap if you no longer need it. With our reduced caloric intake, a significant drop in sodium intake happens as well. With that, BP comes down. Add the BP medicine to it and it plummets. Bathroom trips will be frequent, whether to sit there straining for naught or to once again pee because of the hopeful Fluid consumption. If you can afford to take the two weeks off, I heartily recommend it.

I cannot comment on waitressing though. But if you are the least bit lightheaded after 2 weeks of a lounging and then a desk job, being on your feet will be tough. The good thing though is that you will be getting lots of walking in once you are ready to go back to work.

I too sit at a desk all day and took 7 days off to recover from my gastric sleeve surgery. My surgeon assured me that I would be back in the gym lifting heavy in one week after WLS. I had stepped up my workouts and weight loss prior to my surgery. As part of my new life style along with diet, I am back in the gym regaining lost muscle and trying to minimize skin sag.

6 minutes ago, FishOn said:

My surgeon assured me that I would be back in the gym lifting heavy in one week after WLS.

Wait... are you serious?! What does he consider heavy? And what lifts is he referring to? Even attempting to perform a squat, deadlift, overhead press, or bench press 1 month post op is insane IMO. Jesus, they just went through the abdominal wall!

I didn't try to kill myself and worked out lightly after the first week post-op. A couple of weeks later after my stitches came out I resumed my normal workouts.

15 hours ago, Tanyatata said:

I just got my FMLA paperwork to complete before my surgery. I'm a bean counter and basically spend my days glued to my desk. I also moonlight as a waitress on Saturday nights. I'm guessing that it will take me longer to get back to working at the restaurant. For my regular job I'm thinking if I'm having surgery on a Tuesday that I could possibly go back the following Monday...6 days?? How long were you out of work and what industry are you in?

Thanks

I also work a desk job, had surgery on a Monday, went back to work the following Monday. I felt OK, but was a kind of a zombie that whole week. Depending on you situation, you can probably go back after 1 week off, but I'd suggest 2.