Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The good, bad and the ugly. CARBS!

I was just chatting w/ a support buddy and I realized how confused, I actually am when it comes to carbs. I know this answer will be different per person, but just as a general question, how many carbs per day, do you allow yourself? When counting those carbs, do we count the good carbs w/ the bad, does the amount of Fiber erase some of the carbs? I'm flippin', confused!

I'm new to this too, so don't take my word for it [emoji5] But I'm in the pre-op process, and am on a low carb diet. My nutritionist said that the net carbs are the amount of carbs minus fiber. And right now, for me, a carb is a carb is a carb..... good or bad. My daily limit per my doctor and nutritionist, is 45, but I usually average around 25 per day. I'm trying really hard to lose my required weight in order to get my surgery scheduled.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Before I answer, be mindful I'm 2.5 years out and active. I run 20+ miles a week and lift weights 3 times weekly, so I tolerate carbs well since my body uses them as substrate for exercise.

I eat upwards of 200 grams of carbs per day...

However, during my weight loss phase with the sleeve, I loosely kept my carb intake under 120 grams per day. Each person's body has a different tolerance to carbs.

Prior to the sleeve, my carb tolerance was piss-poor.

Before I answer, be mindful I'm 2.5 years out and active. I run 20+ miles a week and lift weights 3 times weekly, so I tolerate carbs well since my body uses them as substrate for exercise.
I eat upwards of 200 grams of carbs per day...
However, during my weight loss phase with the sleeve, I loosely kept my carb intake under 120 grams per day. Each person's body has a different tolerance to carbs.
Prior to the sleeve, my carb tolerance was piss-poor.

Wow!!! That's awesome!! I want to be like you [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm in the middle of the weight loss phase and am eating around 60-70g.

Right after surgery I relied on milk for my Protein, so carbs went up to 100g. Brought them down as I eased into a normal diet.

Some people might look at a spoonful of sugar next to a spoonful of Beans, and call them equal. They ARE both carbs, but I'll eat the beans, not the sugar. Beans come with other things I need.. fiber, protein, etc.

We have a carb or calorie "budget". I want the most bang for my buck!

I eat 20 carbs or less per day. I've been doing that for almost 17 months now. I'm almost to goal, but even in maintenance, I don't see them going over 50. I'm used to this way of eating now, and bringing them back in any meaningful way will be too much of a slippery slope for me.

I average 50-75 a day and have since the beginning. I'm 6 months out. Some people tolerate them, some not so much. Could I possibly lose faster if I went to 30? Probably. But I've decided to look at this as how I will live my life forever. Someone posted: eat now how you plan on eating for the rest of your life. I took that to heart and am doing just that.

I watch sugar not necessarily carbs. But usually I am less than 50 g. The worst day was 80. I don't eat anything with more than 7 g of sugar. I probably should be watching carbs more carefully, but getting in Water and Protein is all I can really manage right now.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 194 GW 135

I avg about 40g of carbs which is about 30 net carbs per day. I've had a few high days when I go up to 70 ish. I use an app to track and I'm looking back to see what works best for me.
For me the tracking and stats about my own successes and stalls etc...are so helpful.
There is no one target number for everybody.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm in maintenance and also run 20-30 miles per week and do yoga 5-6 hours.

I still limit my refined carbs, but between dairy, fruit, veggies, Beans and the occasional sweet potato I get about 120-140 carbs per day. I do allow myself refined carbs once a week or so in limited amounts.

In the weight loss phase I kept to 30-40 per day and almost all was dairy.

"Net carbs" is total carbs - fiber -sugar alcohols (not processed by the body)

I always counted net carbs and still do.

When I was losing weight I averaged 100 grams or less. I've never gone really low on carbs. Now I average 100-140 a day. If I go above 150 I gain Water weight. I also average 1,00-1,200/1,300 depending on the day.

This is so new for me, I never knew fiber cancelled some of the carbs. Let me ask, what happens if we do not get enough fiber and also, should we be eating a certain amount of fats?

Fiber helps move your bowels along. Constipation is a big deal postop.

Generally peeps limit their fat since it is so calorie dense. Personally I don't count it (other than figuring up my calories).. but I do full-fat dairy, nuts, and the like. I go for a balanced approach.

This is so new for me, I never knew fiber cancelled some of the carbs. Let me ask, what happens if we do not get enough fiber and also, should we be eating a certain amount of fats?

Yeah like others have said, Constipation is the biggest issue but it's actually a risk factor for colon cancer so pretty serious.

You can supplement with benefiber and psyllium husks (you need both soluble and insoluble fiber so best to use both supplements). I did both from early days through about the six month mark.

And yeah, too little fat and you can get gallstones. It's also the best for satiety.

Balance in all things.

Balance in all things.

Reminds me of a Bible verse...
"The wise man avoids all extremes"
And another:
For everything God creates is good when used according to his purpose
...these are from memory so might not be exact quotes.
I can look them up if anyone wants the reference

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 194 GW 135