Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best WLS for my weight? Process?

I am 26 years old, height 5'2, and weight 260 , Insurance I have is Medi-Cal Anthem BC, i have some questions about process. BMI is 46.6, i had some gallstone issues and recently got my gallbladder removed , and ever since i have been having issues with my feet, major pain/soreness to where it hurts walking on them everyday, im scared to what this can mean. My grandma as well as most of her sisters, (14 of them) have Diabetes. I have Medi-Cal Anthem BC, and i got a referral, and scheduled the first step (im assuming) Nutrition Class . How does this process continue, and what should i be expecting. With Sutter , in Sacramento CA

T.I.A

Well your Surgeon can tell you the best surgery.

With a family history of diabetes, RNY, the Gastric bypass might be your best choice.

All programs are different in what they require. Usually you have to so some pre-op testing to qualify for surgery. 6 months nutrition and weigh-ins might be required. You have to look at the requirements for your insurance and the program you choose.

Okay, thank you.

2 hours ago, shericrazylady said:

The surgeon will decide

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

That is not true at all. Many surgeons, absent a clear indicator like disease or other comorbidity, will leave it to the patient to decide. My surgeon basically shrugged and said I could be successful with either surgery; it was on me to research and see which one I prefer.

The latest literature on RNY shows remission of diabetes in 80% of patients so that might be a good choice for you as another poster stated. Also with your gallbladder already removed you aren't likely to have any issues with extremely rapid weight loss which RNY will induce.

There are a lot of posts on this forum about choosing a surgery, and obesitycoverage.com is a good website that compares them too. Good luck :)

Unless a Dr only does one (my Dr only does the Sleeve which is why I chose him), most will talk to you about the surgery and let you choose.

I would NEVER let a Dr choose for me. They don't live with the surgery, you do.

Thank you ! And I will look at the site as well

53 minutes ago, shericrazylady said:

OK guys chill

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm chill, I just don't like generalizations or misinformation. Just call me Little Green the Science Queen. ;)

That is not true at all. Many surgeons, absent a clear indicator like disease or other comorbidity, will leave it to the patient to decide. My surgeon basically shrugged and said I could be successful with either surgery; it was on me to research and see which one I prefer.
The latest literature on RNY shows remission of diabetes in 80% of patients so that might be a good choice for you as another poster stated. Also with your gallbladder already removed you aren't likely to have any issues with extremely rapid weight loss which RNY will induce.
There are a lot of posts on this forum about choosing a surgery, and obesitycoverage.com is a good website that compares them too. Good luck [emoji4]

There's also the duodenal switch, which has over a 90% rate of no more diabetes. My doctor said the majority of the patients who stop their diabetes meds for surgery never start taking them again.

I was just going to suggest you check out the duodenal switch and saw Life Under Construction beat me to it. It's a good option for you to check out. Most patients stop their diabetes medication within the first month. I'm six weeks post-op from the DS (revision after the lap-band), and it's been a good choice for me. While I never had diabetes, the weight has steadily dropped off, unlike when I had the lap-band. I looked at all of the options and became well educated on the life time commitment before I decided which surgery had the best long-term results and lifestyle I could live with. Wishing you the best.

19 hours ago, MissBJones said:

I am 26 years old, height 5'2, and weight 260 , Insurance I have is Medi-Cal Anthem BC, i have some questions about process. BMI is 46.6, i had some gallstone issues and recently got my gallbladder removed , and ever since i have been having issues with my feet, major pain/soreness to where it hurts walking on them everyday, im scared to what this can mean. My grandma as well as most of her sisters, (14 of them) have Diabetes. I have Medi-Cal Anthem BC, and i got a referral, and scheduled the first step (im assuming) Nutrition Class . How does this process continue, and what should i be expecting. With Sutter , in Sacramento CA

T.I.A

I was 55 when I had my surgery last year - 5'3" and 271.5 pounds before my first consult. I had VSG and I've been very pleased. I have a family history of diabetes as well. My surgeon and I discussed the pros and cons of each surgery and decided that VSG was the right choice for me.

I am 11 months out (surgery 8/23/16) and am down 99.5 pounds at this point. I want to lose about another 20 - my choice. My surgeon is happy with where I am. I am 1 pound away from moving from obese to overweight in the bmi chart and started with a BMI of 48.1. My BMI today is 30.1.

I fence 5 hours a week. I take TRX classes. I will very likely be able to put off my knee replacement surgery. I'm thinner than I was when I got married 20 years ago!

Investigate all the options, but do talk with your doc, as there are long term consequences for each surgery and you are quite young. While right now taking a large handful of Vitamins might not seem like an issue, it will get "old" after a few years and if you have RNY, skimping on your vitamins is not an option.

A good surgeon will evaluate all your medical conditions and make his/her recommendation based upon his/her years of knowledge. My surgeon has been doing this for 20+ years and his practice group does hundreds of bariatric procedures a year (like 600 ish across all the MDs in the practice.) I'm paying to trust that experience because I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. ;)

Will also mention that the sleeve has a diabetes remission rate of 84 percent, so the odds are pretty good with all the surgeries suggested. (I'm diabetic, so this matters to me.) The bottom line is that losing a fair amount of weight is almost certainly going to help with diabetes issues, as well as a host of other problems: I'm personally hoping for pain relief where my knees are concerned or, at least, being able to have them replaced, which the ortho guy won't do when I'm at this weight.

I think the advice is good to check out what's said about all the different surgeries and, together with the doctor's advice, make a decision that way. This site has an amazing amount of information and opinions, as well as fun things like before/after pictures. Read as much as you can to help you decide.

I had diabetes also Your height and weight size my Dr and I both decided Gastric Bypass I had my surgery and gall bladder removed last week and I'm doing pretty good try to lose 10 percent of your body weight that helps because the more you loose the lesser chance of complications I loss 24 pounds before surgery

And yes I had six months of class and labs to prepare me great experience good luck